|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||South Slope School Division 3545 fonds|
|Date:||1930-1973 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||4 cm of textual records
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Processed by Mary Nutting in 2000
Exported from AoR and added to new database in Oct. 2021 – SF
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
South Slope School Division was formed in 1917, and its first school opened in the home of Eli Barrett with Mrs. Duncan Cameron as teacher. A one-room school was built in 1919, and a second classroom opened in a local business in 1936. A new two-room school, financed by debentures, was built in 1939, and used with the old school as a third classroom. In 1946, two more classrooms, a library and a science lab were added to the existing school and the old school was converted to a teacherage. In the early 1950s, some small schools in the area (Heart Valley, West Vale, Mersey and Peoria), were closed and South Slope again expanded. In 1955, a new school was constructed north of South Slope and was just called the Wanham School. Under centralization, a new high school was built in Spirit River, and in 1998, the Wanham School was closed.
Records were preserved by E.J. Harrington, school board member. When he moved away from Wanham, he left them in the custody of Wally Tansem, who donated them to the Archives.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of correspondence from 1930-1973 (with the bulk in 1936-49), applications for the teaching positions in the new school in 1939, and 1 photograph of the student body c. 1938-39.
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds
Restrictions on access
No access restrictions
|Reference code||Title||Dates||Physical description|
|0008.01||Item – South Slope School Class||1938-1938||1 photograph : b&w : 14 x 11|
|Scope and content:
Informal photograph of the children attending the South Slope School District one-room school.