1918-1945. — 18 cm of textual records.
The first school in the Greenway District consisted of classes held in the J. Esplen home in 1918. These ceased later that year because of the flu epidemic. In the winter of 1920-21, a school was built on Muzyka’s land about 5 miles north and 1 mile east of Rycroft. School included night classes for the adults who knew little English. The original organizers and board included George Rosko, Mike, Emil & George Zahara, Mike & Joe Muzyka, Uley Baduik and Mike Deley.
Mr. C.M. McLeod was the first teacher in the Esplen home and John Paul the first teacher in the new school. By 1928, there were over 75 children and a second room was added. Classes included music and dance, and a school orchestra. During the war it was difficult to find teachers, so in 1945 the school closed and the students were bussed to the centralized school in Rycroft.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of 33 daily registers from the years 1918 to 1945, records of the following teachers and supervisors: C.M. McLeod, Herbert Key, Jas. Green, J. M. Strachan, John Paul, Flora MacGillivray, Herbert Miller, M.C. Allan, W. Cutsungavich, Violet Drapaka, Helen Reyda, Anne Zahara, George Woronuk, Norma Dever, Ann Andrushak, A.B. Grimm, Goldie Keene, John Woloshyn, Amy Donald, Jessie Bell, Lola Hansen, A. Manson, Lily Chalmers, Mabel Rakoz, Ethel Metz and Edward Rockarts.