Lake Saskatoon Community Club. — 1927-1985. — 16.5 cm of textual records.
The Lake Saskatoon Community Club held its first meeting on February 4, 1927 at the home of Mrs. S. R. Lowe. The first executive consisted of Mrs. Robert Holmes, Mrs. Herbert C. Cooper, Mrs. Albert Smith, Mrs. Ernest Hopkins, Mrs. Levason, Mrs. Grimsrud, Mrs. Cuthbertson, Mrs. Alex B. McDonald, H. B. Jones, Mrs. Hicks, Mrs. Albert E. Smith and Mrs. Lovell. The motto of the Community Club, was said at the beginning of every meeting, “To sow gladness of heart, to help one another and to promote the highest welfare of the community, especially the school.” Their first order of business was to provide hot drinks to students attending the Lake Saskatoon School, and they were also concerned with the ventilation of the school and providing it with wash basins and mosquito netting.
The Club quickly began to organize events like community picnics, a social hour, box lunches, and debates. Mending was done for a family who had lost their mother, first born babies were given silver spoons as a welcome, and the Club organized a medical clinic so that children would have the services of a doctor or a nurse. Meetings of the Community Club were held at member’s homes or at the Saskatoon Lake Community Hall.
On August 4, 1977 the Lake Saskatoon Community Club celebrated their 50th anniversary at the Lake Saskatoon Hall. During the meeting, the president of the Club, Melita Hrychiw, was able to welcome back some early club members: Mrs. Alma MacDonald, Mrs. Helen Smith, Mrs. Julia Rainer, Mrs. Paula Uswell, Mrs. Anne Rigby and Mrs. Cora Cooper.
Besides the regular meetings and activities, the Club organized larger projects such as the compilation and publication of “Lake Saskatoon Reflections” from 1974-1980; and the restoration of St. Andrews by the Lake Anglican Church in 1981.
The records were deposited in South Peace Regional Archives by Kathy Sebastian on January 13, 2012. The records had been kept in Club member’s homes and the Lake Saskatoon Community Hall.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of minute books from 1927-1981, financial records for 1981 and annual reports from 1928-1985.
The records had been organized before arriving at the archives, and were retained by the archivist in their original order.
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Information for the Administrative History was taken from Lake Saskatoon Reflections p 40-43, p 50-51.
Accession No.: 2012.02
Accruals: No further accruals are expected.
Related records: Lake Saskatoon Agriculture Society.
Table of Contents
|Series 540.02||Financial Records|
|Series 540.03||Annual Reports|
|Series 540.01||Minutes. — 1927-1932. — 11 cm of textual records.
The series consists of 17 minute books that date from the first meeting in 1927 to 1981. There are also two reports from the Book Committee detailing progress on the book, “Lake Saskatoon Reflections”.
|Series 540.02||Financial Records. — 1981.
The series consists of financial papers relating to the purchase of bells to commemorate the Saskatoon Lake School Reunion, and information on a grant received for the restoration of St. Andrew’s Church.
|Series 540.03||Annual Reports. — 1928-1985. — 5 cm of textual records.
The series consists of annual reports on the activities of the Lake Saskatoon Community Club from the time it was created in 1927 until 1985.