St. John’s Lutheran Separate School fonds. — 1950-1951. — .1 cm of textual records.
St. John’s Parochial Lutheran School opened in 1928, the first parochial school in the Peace River district.
It was located in the rural Wembley district and 33 pupils were enrolled when it began. The school house was a log building which served both as school and church. The first teachers were pastors or candidates for the ministry. All nine grades were taught at St. John’s and often enrollment was as high as 45 pupils.
St. John’s Parochial Lutheran School closed in 1961 when teachers became scarce and consolidation was necessary. The school still stands at its original site as an historical monument.
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one Daily Register from 1950-1951.