Royal Canadian Legion Clairmont Branch #200 fonds. — 1957-1971. — 3.3 cm of textual records.
The Royal Canadian Legion Clairmont Branch #200
The Clairmont Legion records show formation of Branch #200 through donations made by 37 interested returned veterans in December, 1957. Elwood Rooney and James Duncan were a couple of the main organizers. A lean-to addition was constructed on the Clairmont Hall which became their club house. In their early years they supported the Little League Ball Club, the Ubited Church, and the Canadian Polio campaign and looked after the renting and maintenance of the hall and club room. A Clairmont Library Board was created in 1960 and operated a library for a few years in the same facility. In 1968 the legion ceased operating and all remaining monies were forwarded to the Provincial Command. Most remaining members joined the Grande Prairie Legion at that time
The records were donated to the South Peace Regional Archives in 2004 by Ella Duncan, wife of John Duncan, an early secretary of the Claimont Legion.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of membership records contained in a receipt book (1957-1968), financial records, (1960-1969), miscellaneous correspondence(1962-1971) and records of the Clairmont Library Board (1960-1971).
Table of Contents
|Series 166.02||Financial Records|
|Series 166.04||Clairmont Library Board|
|Series 166.01||Membership. — 1957-1968. — 2 cm of textual records.The series consists of a receipt book recording donations and membership fees received from individuals|
|Series 166.02||Financial Records. — 1959-1969. — 1 cm of textual records.The series consists of a journal containing entries from 1959-1968 and financial statements from 1960-1969.|
|Series 166.03||Correspondence. — 1962-1969. — .1 cm of textual records.The series consists of letters from The Royal Ccanadian Legion, Alberta Command, and Canadian Command, and the Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League. Also included are minute from a 1965 Rally at Fairview and adocuent “Specific Instructions for Arranging Burials”|
|Series 166.04||Clairmont Library Board. — 1962-1971. — .2 cm of textual records.The series consists of letters, minutes and financial papers detailing the beginning of a library in Clairmont that operated in the hall under some of the same management as the Legion. In 1967, the Board considered giving their remaining money to the Clairmont Cubs and in 1971 minutes record a decision made to hand over assets to the Clairmont Community Club.|