Hayfield School District 4661 fonds. — 1935-1938. — .75 cm of textual records.
Hayfield School was started in 1930 in an unused house rented from Carl Britton. Miss Jean Montgomery was the first teacher. In 1933, a notched log building was built on the NW ¼ of Section 22, Township 71, Range 11, West of the 6th meridian southwest of Beaverlodge. The school was named for the 40 acre hay field viewed from the site. Mrs Ruth Conley was the first teacher and there were 42 pupils. Mrs. Conley taught the school for eight terms.
At a special meeting held March 2, 1936, the Hayfield School District trustees agreed to write to MLA Sharpe in Edmonton in favour of the proposed legislation for the amalgamation of rural school districts.
Classes continued at Hayfield school until consolidation in 1949. Miss Dorothy Reaume of Hythe was the last teacher.
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of school board minutes for the years of 1935–1938.