Gordondale School District 4772 fonds. — 1940-1956. — 6 cm of textual records.
The Gordondale School District was formed in 1937 when the district realized the need for a school and converted Stewart Peter’s house after tearing it down and rebuilding it by the road on the quarter S.W. 9-79-10 W6. Mr. Julius Peerenboom made desks out of lumber from Mike Kolosky”s mill. The first teacher was Phyllis Williams, who worked for $840 a year and paid $25 per month room and board to the Magnus MacKay family. Miss Harriot Leslie taught in 1938-39. A new school was built by Norman Day in 1940. Gordondale school was closed as a result of consolidation within the Spirit River School Division.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of 13 Daily Registers from 1940-1956. Teachers during this period include Arlene Sorenson, Miss M.L. Mueller, Miss E.J. Morris, Miss Frances Hill, Clara Thomlinson, O.C. Harris (Hagen), Hattie M. Carder, M.E. Hamilton, Barbara Cage, Gerta Pankow, and Alex Kozeluk.