|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||Grande Prairie Herald collection|
|Date:||1913-1938 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||70 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Added to new database March 2022 – SF|
|Note:||Missing issues from 1913: April 1, April 15, April 22, April 29, May 6, May 13, June 3, June 17, June 24, July 8, July 15
Missing issue from 1914: April 28
Missing issue from 1915: Nov. 16
Missing issue from 1917: July 3
Missing issue from 1918: January 3
Missing issues from 1919: July 15, July 22, July 29, Aug. 12
Missing issues from 1920: Jan. 27, Feb. 3, Feb. 10, Feb. 17, April 13, Sept. 7
Missing issue from 1921: Dec. 13
Missing issues from 1922: May 16, May 23, May 30, all of June – July, Aug. 1, Aug. 15, Aug. 22, Aug. 29, all of Sept.-Dec.
Missing issue from 1923: May 1
Missing issue from 1925: Dec. 21
Missing issue from 1926: Sept. 1926
Missing issues from 1928: June 29, Nov. 30
Missing issue from 1930: Oct. 24
Missing issue from 1931: March 6
Missing issues from 1932: April 1, all of July-Nov., Dec. 13, Dec. 20, Dec. 27
Missing issues from 1934: Feb. 2, Feb. 9, June 8, Aug. 17
Missing issues from 1935: Jan. 11, Nov. 22
Missing issues from 1937: Jan. 1, May 14, Aug. 13
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
The Grande Prairie Herald was launched in March of 1913 by William C. Pratt, in a building on the corner of 101 St and 101 Ave. The printing press was so large that it was set in place first and the building was built around it. Later the Herald moved to the corner of Clairmont Road (100 St) and 99 Ave. In 1915, Pratt leased the newspaper to V.H. and Milo M. Oblinger, while off to visit family following the death of his father. The next year, the paper was sold to Charles Kitchen and George Duncan. They continued as owners until 1927 when Charles Kitchen sold his half to Charles W. Frederick, the owner of the Peace River Record which he had established in 1914. At this time much of the machinery was scrapped and new equipment installed, bringing the plant more in line with modern requirements. George sold his half to Charles Frederick in 1930. J.B. Yule was Editor, but in 1932 he and two other Herald staff left to start the Northern Tribune, so Frank Rothwell became the new Editor. In 1938, the Herald, along with 90 other Alberta newspapers, received a Pulitzer Prize for their role is fighting the Alberta Social Credit Party’s “Muzzle the Press” Act. On July 25, 1939 an explosion and subsequent fire leveled the Herald. It was decided to amalgamate with the Northern Tribune to form the Herald-Tribune in August 1939.
These issues of the Grande Prairie Herald were collected by Isabel Campbell and deposited at the Grande Prairie Public Library some time before her death in 1998. In 2015, the Grande Prairie Public Library passed the records on to the South Peace Regional Archives.
Scope and content
This collection consists of approximately 1250 issues of the Grande Prairie Herald from the first issue in March 25, 1913 to December 15, 1938. The content consists of community news on the front page, world news, editorials, generally helpful information, and advertisements.
From March 1913 to July 1916, the paper is an eight-sheet small format, 13 x 19 in. In August 1916 the size increases to 15 x 22 in.
For the first few months, the issues are sporadic–sometimes once a week, often once or twice a month. From Aug 5, 1913, there are regular issues once a week, and from Aug 25 to Dec 29, 1914 there are two issues each week. This reverts back to one issue per week and continues until 1938.
Also included with this set of papers is a July 21, 1913 letter to the Alberta Provincial Library from Editor W. Pratt advising that the Grande Prairie Herald is available to the Library.
- Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents of the collection
Alternative form available
Digital copies of the Grande Prairie Herald are available from the University of Calgary
- Textual record (documentary form)