Chinook Valley School District 4431 fonds. — 1940-1949. — 5 cm of textual records.
In the summer of 1929, at the home of Tully Dorrance, the decision was made to request the formation of a school district with Joe Murray as chairman. Superintendant Harry Balfour assisted with the procedures, and the Chinook Valley School District 4431 was established August 6, 1929. Five acres, three from NW 15 and two from SW 15-76-6-W6 were approved as the site for a school. While the school was being built, a temporary school was conducted in the home of Orme Bryan with Gertrude Bryan as teacher. Classes started in the completed school in April, 1930.
Teachers after Gertrude Bryan were Esther Thompson, Philip Boldt, Ada Smith, Edith Calloway (Clouston), Donalda Keobke (Hume), Margaret Fawkes, Margaret Burton(Thornton), Dixie Gray (Mitchell), Myrtle Jordan, Arthur Holmberg, Betty Coone (supervisor),
From January, 1941 until June, 1949, this school district came under the administration of the Spirit River School Division No. 47. Then in 1949, a two-room school was built at Woking and students from Chinook Valley were bussed there.
The Chinook Valley school building was purchased by the Burnt River Branch of the Legion and used for their meetings until 1953 when the building was moved into Woking.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The series consists of 7 Daily Registers for the school years of 1940-1949 from the time it was taken over by the Spirit River School Division (1940-41) to the time the school closed in 1949. Registers are signed by the following teachers: Dixie Gray, Arthur Holmberg, Mrs. Betty Coone, and Mrs. M. Jordan. The 1943-44 register also contains class lists from the Woking School District 4671 from 1952-1965.