Belloy School District 4731 fonds. — 1936-1957. — 7 cm of textual records.
The Belloy school district was formed in 1936, with SW 27-78-2-W6 as the first site, and later SW 15-78-2-W6. The original school was built on Jack Culshaw’s land. Surnames of children who attended school in 1937 included Bodette, Kostash, Ripley, Urness, Koseluk, Sinkewich, and Rouleau. Mervin Jasbec was the teacher of the 14 children in grades 1-7.
The original school and site was sold in 1949 and the old Steele building was moved into the hamlet of Belloy to be used as the school. By 1954, June Mc Pherson was teaching 26 grades 1-4 students and Ronald Sampsel was teaching 19 grades 5-9 students. Under consolidation the school was closed sometime in the late 1950s.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of 17 Daily Registers for the years from 1936 to 1957, completed by the following teachers: Mervin Jasbec, R. Boswell, H. Martin, Mrs. McSweeney, Mrs. V. Scott, Ronald Sampsel, June Lois McPherson, Alice Patnode, Mrs. Madge Murphy, H.A. Sather, Joan Sather, Vivian Scott, Mrs. Nellie Lambright.