Bear Canyon School District 4948 fonds. — 1947-1958. — 5 cm of textual records.
The earliest available records for Bear Canyon School District 4948 show a school term beginning September, 1947 with eleven students under Mrs. Dolly Travers, Supervisor. Surnames of students were Krantz, Travers, Wongstedt, and Vanhooren. Student attendance was recorded only until the end of January, 1948 for that school year. The Bear Canyon School was built in 1949, opening in 1950 with Miss Isobel Berg, supervisor. In 1958, the consolidated district of Clear River was formed and in 1959 a new school west of the Bear Canyon store was built. The older children went to Bear Canyon and the younger children went to Cherry Point for a year and then were all moved into the new school in 1960. The other schools were moved to the site to be used as teacherages. In 1960, Fairview School Division took over responsibility for this district.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of 10 Daily Registers from 1947 to 1958 kept by the following teachers and supervisors: Mrs. Dolly Travers, Isabel Berge, Mrs. P. Craig, Mrs. M. Shearer, Leonard Clare, G. Fredrickson, and Anna Maxwell.