|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||West Pouce School District 4863 fonds|
|Date:||1941-1961 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||5 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Processed by Mary Nutting
Exported from AoR and added to new database May 2022 – TD
|Note:||Historical notes from Homesteaders’ Heritage|
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
The first schoolhouse of the West Pouce School District was located on the banks of the Pouce Coupe River, and in 1939 opened its doors to 10 children. Mrs. Nelson was the first teacher followed by Mr. M.A. Griffin, then Mrs. C. Clarke from 1942-1945. In December, 1945, after Mary Plaster had come to teach, the school burned. In 1946, Mr. Mike Chrusch allowed his log cabin to be used until the school was rebuilt in 1947. Miss Doris Gillard supervised correspondence, followed by teachers Lorraine Pierce and Corrine Hull. The school closed in 1950 due to low student numbers, but reopened in 1954 at a new location on Norman Braaten’s farm. The school operated with supervisors for a few years as teachers were hard to find but in 1958, Mrs. Robertson and then Mrs. Dorothy Morris came to teach. Edna Brooks taught the last class in 1960-61. Students were then bussed to Rolla, B.C.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of 12 Daily Registers from 1941-1961 including a partially burned register from the 1945 fire.
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
No accruals are expected.
- Textual record (documentary form)
- Education (subject)