|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||West End School District 4592 fonds|
|Date:||1932-1937 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||1 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Exported from AoR and added to new database May 2022 – TD|
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
West End School District was established in the early 30s, when families new to the district settled west of the Caribou School District, just inside the BC border. The first meeting was held at the home of Eldon Best on April 14th, 1932 to determine community support for a West End School. The School Board then held their first meeting on May 12th, 1932 to delegate overseeing the building of the new school. The next District meeting was held in the newly constructed West End School on January 7th, 1933. A school barn was added to the site that same year. The school started with 18 children from 5 families. Teachers were Margaret Stewart, Ella Holtz and Margaret Hardisty. West End School operated until 1937, when the Grande Prairie School Division No. 14 took over responsibility for education in the County.
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of one minute book recording minutes of board meetings as well as financial records.
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions.
- Textual record (documentary form)
- Education (subject)