|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||Twilight School District 4417 fonds|
|Date:||1929-1937 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||1 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Exported from AoR and added to new database May 2022 – TD|
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
Twilight School District was formed in 1929 when the population of the Five Mile Creek School District became too much for a one-room school, and 16 sections in Range 5, Townships 71 & 72 were sub-divided to create a new district. Debentures were issued, tenders were requested, and the school built. Twilight School opened right after New Year’s 1930. Charles A. Cromie was the first teacher. To reduce expenses in the 1930s, each family donated a load of firewood and a work bee was held to saw it. The teachers who taught at Twilight were Charles Cromie, Maud Nowlin, Gerald White, William Porteous, Ann Mix, Ethel Meyer, Bernice Beveridge, Irene Lewis, Mrs. Morris, Jean Westendorf, Mary Nicholychuk, Mary Roberts, Shirley Colton, Dorothy Rehaume, and Isabel Moodie. In 1950, Twilight school was taken over by the Divisional School Board and the children bussed to Grande Prairie. In 1952, the school was moved to the Torun District near Webster.
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of one minute book.
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions.
- Textual record (documentary form)
- Education (subject)