|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||Torun School District 4483 fonds|
|Date:||1931-1937 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||.5 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Exported from AoR and added to new database May 2022 – TD|
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
By 1929, there were about 42 families of Polish origin settled in the Webster area. The first community project was the building of the church. School classes were held in the front part of the church while awaiting the completion of the school building. The school building was completed by volunteer labour and named after Torun, Poland, the hometown of local pioneers. The first teacher was Miss Platzer who, with a student body of only Polish-speaking students, did not speak a word of Polish. Other teachers who taught at Webster were Agnes Moran, Ellen Bolt, Tony Wacowich, Miss Warblowsky, Beatrice Hodges, June Whitecotton, Martha Gitzel, Kathleen Johnson, Margaret Gorynuik, Mervyn Unger, Ingrid Peaerson, Grace Cook, Olga Oskoboiny, Clara Knutson, Donald Oke and Elvera Grotkowski. A teacherage was added to the site in 1936 but it was swept away by a torrential rain. In 1954, the first school was sold and the Old Twilight school moved on site. Torun school closed in 1957, and the students were vanned to Sexsmith.
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of one School Board Minute Book.
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions.
- Textual record (documentary form)
- Education (subject)