St. Elia Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church. — 1957-1991. — 4 cm.
St Elia Greek Orthodox Church had its beginnings in 1956 whenReverend John Melnyk was sent by the Consistary from Winnipeg as a missionary to the Peace River area to organize the Orthodox Church. In August, 1965, the Catholic Church from Rycroft was moved to Spiriti River to become the beginning church building. The original church members in 1966/67 were Mr. George Zyha, Mr. Metro Zyha, Mr Sam Wlad, Mr. Mike Stadnyk, Mr. John Badiuk, Mr. Ynat Yablonski, Mr. Metro Lazuruk, Mr. Bill Dutchak, Mr. Peter Nedohin, Mr. Nick Badiuk, Mr. Nick Gushlak, Mr. Elais Badiuk, Mr. Nick Zyha. Mr. George Zyha drove to Athabaska in 1966 for the forms for building the church domes which were completed in 1967. Mr Bill Paish constructed the crosses for the top of the domes. Mr. Metro Zyha donated many hours to finish the interior and basement. Mr. Nivk Krol dsigned and built the church benches and helprf finish the interior ceiling tiles. Reverend Eugene Stefaniuk preached the first sermon Oct 14, 1966. The executive for 1987 was President George Zyha, Vice-President William Sarabin and Secretary-Treasurer Mrs. Mavis Kachmar.
The records were donated to the South Peace Regional Archives by Mavis Kachmar in 2009.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of minutes, written in Ukrainian, 1957-1965; records of people working for the Mission Home, 1960-1981; legal documents re: sale of church in 1991; and a 1955 copy of Religious Societies’ Land Act in the province of Alberta.