|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||Silverwood School District 3390 fonds|
|Date:||1935-1954 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||7.5 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Processed by Mary Nutting
Exported from AoR and added to new database May 2022 – TD
|Note:||A complete list of teachers can be found in Wheatfields and Wildflowers|
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
The Silverwood School served the settlers in the area between the villages of Rycroft and Woking, in Township 77, Range 5, West of the 6th Meridian. It was built on property owned by Bill Craig (now owned by George Dika) and named by George Platzer, the first secretary/treasurer of the Board. It opened in 1917 and the first teacher is believed to have been E.W. Mitten from Nebraska, USA. A new school was built on Jack Craig’s land in 1931 after a second school burned in 1930. In 1954 the school was closed and students bussed to Rycroft.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes from 1936-1940, and 11 Daily registers from 1935-1954. Teachers from 1935 on included Mary White, Madeline Platzer, Agnes Moran, L. Thornton, Mrs. Alice McBride, Sr. Rosemarie Hudon S.O.S., and Agnes Bayers.
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
No accruals are expected.
- Textual record (documentary form)
- Education (subject)