Fonds 324 Senior Social Centre Club ( Eaglesham)

Senior Social Centre Club ( Eaglesham) fonds. — 1974-1994. — 3.5 cm of textual records.

Back to Finding Aids

Agency History

The inaugural meeting for a senior citizens club in Eaglesham took place March 9, 1974 in the Lessard Building, and was concerned with finding ways to spend leisure time. A Provisional Committee elected Antonio Desgagne as president, Ted Campbell, vice-president and Tom Lessard as secretary-treasurer, and the Senior Social Centre Club was born. Committees were formed to take care of bingo games, pull ticket sales, nominations to office, auditing ladies’activities, building and maintenance, and grants and entertainment. A building was purchased from Emilien Lessard for $4000, the money being raised by obtaining a loan of $3000 from local citizens and $1000 from the Legion. In 1978, the Royal Canadian Legion, Sauve Branch#235, and the Senior’s Club entered into a formal agreement where the the Seniors would hold 75% of the assests, liable for 75% of the expenses and receive 75% of the income. The Legion agreed to hold the remaining 25% interest. Members of the Seniors’ Society, the Legion and its Ladies’ Auxiliary would be entitled to use the facility on an equal basis. The Agriculture Society and the Recreation Board also helped with maintenance costs. Over the years the center was used for meetings, socials, performances, bingos, health clinics as well as a drop in center for members. Profits from Centre activites led to donations to the Boy Scouts, the Legion Poppy Fund, Telerama, the Olde Time Musick Group, the Drama Club, the Gymnastics Club and the building of the Cenotaph. Starting in 1981 the Club organized tours to places such as the Bennett Dam, Tar Island, West Edmonton Mall, Tumbler Ridge, Grande Cache, and Jasper.

Custodial History

These records were deposited in the South Peace Regional Archives by Nick Poohkay in 2007.

Scope and Content

The fonds consists of executive records including minutes from the founding meeting in 1974; financial records including a General Ledger from 1989-1994 and bingo and lottery sales from 1979-1988; projects records including requests for grants for building renovations and minutes and correspondence from the History Committee in preparation for printing a local historybook; and records of membership in the Canadian Pensioners Concerned.



Table of Contents

Series 324.01 Executive records
Series 324.02 Financial records
Series 324.03 Project records
Series 324.04 Canadian Pensioners Concerned
Series 324.01 Executive records. — 1974-1988.The series consists of minutes and correspondence 1974-1988.
Series 324.02 Financial records. — 1979-1994. — 2 cm of textual records.The series consists of a general ledger from 1989-1994 and a book recording Nevada ticket sales and bingos from 1979-1988.
Series 324.03 Project records. — 1975-1984.The series consists of plans for grants through the Eaglesham and District Recreation Board, minutes of the history book committee and a quote and general information from Friesen’s Printers. Also included are two news articles, one with information on one of Eaglesham’s early pioneers, Mr. Forget, and one describing the Alvina Cyr Gahagan’s book “Yes Father” recounting her experience as a district nurse in the Tangent area. One project was the production of the history book, “Heritage in Pictures”
Series 324.04 Canadian Pensioners Concerned. — 1977-1982.The series consists of a membership certificate and memoranda from the Canadian Pensioners Concerned, Alberta Division.
Back to Table of Contents