Presbyterian Church fonds. — 1933-2007. — 8 reels microfilm.
Rev. Alexander Forbes and his wife Agnes came as missionaries to Grande Prairie in 1910 and by 1911 saw McQueen Presbyterian, the first protestant church in Grande Prairie, erected on the banks of the Bear Creek. When the majority of the Presbyterians and Methodistsin the area voted to join to form the United Church in 1925, Forbes left for Ontario. The remnant of Presbyterians reorganized under Rev. Wright in 1929 and in 1930 they dedicated the newly built Forbes Presbyterian Church (built on Forbes original homestead land on the corner of 100 St 101 Ave.) In 1979 a new Forbes Presbyterian Church was built on Patterson Drive. Rev George Malcolm served as minister since1982. He has also served as Presbyterial Moderator for most years since 1982.
The records were donated to the South Peace Regional Archives by George Malcolm on behalf of the Peace River Presbytery and Forbes Presbyterian Church in 2008.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of the records of the Peace River Presbytery, 1933-2004; Forbes Presbyterian Church, 1933-2007; the Women’s Missionary Society, 1933-1980; and Munro Presbyterian Church, 1937-2003.
Records dated 1958-2007 may be viewed only with permission from George Malcolm, Presbyterian Church, Grande Prairie. Burial records are not restricted.
Table of Contents
|Series 380.01||Peace River Presbytery|
|Series 380.02||Forbes Presbyterian Church|
|Series 380.03||Women’s Missionary Society|
|Series 380.04||Munro Presbyterian Church|
|Series 380.01||Peace River Presbytery. — 1933-2004. — 4 reels microfilm.The series consists of minutes from 1933-2004 of the Peace River Presbytery, which involved representatives from churches in the north Peace, south Peace and BC Peace country.|
|Series 380.02||Forbes Presbyterian Church. — 1933-2007. — 2 reels microfilm.The series consists of records of Forbes Board of Managers meetings including minutes, general ledger reports, annual financial statements, and committee reports (1933-34,1985-2002); Session minutes (1946-2007); Church Registers (baptisms, marriages, deaths (1944-1957) and baptisms (1957-1988), a Mission Record Book with summer missionaries’ diaries 1954-1956); and 3 letters from Burch Church, Fort St. John (1956).|
|Series 380.03||Women’s Missionary Society. — 1933-1980. — 1 reel microfilm.The series consits of the attendance lists at the meetings of the Presbyterial Women’s Missionary Society (1949-1977) which involved all the women of the churches in the north, south and BC Peace districts; WMS annual reports (1933-1934), financial records (1949-1956), minutes and attendance (1949-1957), receipts for WMS Auxilliary donations (1951-1957); membership and minutes of the Forbes WMS(1949-1957); Forbes WMS financial reords (1938-1950) and Ladies Aid reports (1947-1948) (1936-1980), minutes, reports and correspondence (1936-1980); Flying Shot Lake WMS records (1949-1957) including minutes (1952-1954).|
|Series 380.04||Munro Presbyterian Church. — 1937-2003. — 1 reel microfim.The series consists of the church records of Munro Presbyterian Church in Blueberry Mountain: Session minutes (1966-2000), and church registers recording marriages (1959-2000) which include bride and groom names, occupations, parents names, birthplaces, witnesses’ names, date of wedding and clergyman’s signature; burials (1963-2003) which include names, place of residence, date of death, cause of death, date and place of burial, and clergyman’s signature; and baptisms (1937-1986) which include baptized person’s name, father’s name, mother’s maiden name, residence, birthplace, date of birth, date and place of baptism, and clergyman’s signature.|