Prairie Squares Dance Club fonds. — 1964-1976. — 1 cm of textual records.
The Prairie Squares Square Dance Club was formed in 1951 to serve as a social, educational and recreational outing for people who love square dancing.
In 1964, one of their members, Mrs. Francis Koffler, designed a wood carving of a Trumpeter Swan to serve as a symbol for the club. The design was adopted by the City of Grande Prairie to also be the City’s symbol, and they ordered a 10 foot high replica made of fiberglass and steel to be placed in Jubilee Park for the Golden Jubilee Celebrations in 1965.
Meanwhile, the Prairie Squares sent the original model on a traveling tour of “Swan” dances. At each dance, the couple coming from the furthest distance was presented with the trophy. The swan traveled to 16 clubs in Saskatchewan before returning to Grande Prairie in December 1966. Sent out again in 1967, it traveled around two provinces and five states before returning home to Grande Prairie in 1974.
In 1976, the Prairie Squares celebrated their 25th anniversary with a week-end of square dancing which culminated in the donation of the carving to the Grande Prairie Museum.
The scrapbook chronicling the journey of the Prairie Squares trumpeter swan was donated to the Grande Prairie Museum along with carving in 1976. In 2000, the paper records were transferred to the care of the Grande Prairie Regional Archives.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one scrapbook with letters and news clippings about the 14,315 mile tour made by the Prairie Squares Swan throughout Canada and the United States. Also included is a history and a description of the Trumpeter Swan and an example of how it is used in City Publications.