|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||Peoria East School District 4885 fonds|
|Date:||1943-1956 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||2.5 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Processed by Mary Nutting
Exported from AoR and added to new database May 2022 – TD
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
In 1941 the area served by the Mersey School was split into two districts: Mersey and East Peoria. A new school and a barn was built on the corner of N. E. ¼ 28-76-2-W6. School opened in 1942 with Miss Amanda Kandt, teacher. Since teachers were in short supply during the war years, the Department of Education licensed high school graduates as supervisors for correspondence course. In 1956, Dr. Thompson, Superintendent of Schools, and Mr. Christensen, Wanham board member, met to outline plans for centralization. Students would be bussed to Wanham which was to include a high school. The school was later used as a community center for a time.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of 9 Daily Registers from 1943-1956, records of the following teachers: Amanda Kandt, Elaine MacDonald (Dick), Esther Robertson, Miss L. Rambo, Ma Rtin Fritz, N.D.Shmyr, and Mr. S. Falebrenza
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
No accruals are expected.
- Textual record (documentary form)
- Education (subject)