|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||Four Mile Creek School District 4660 fonds|
|Date:||1940-1955 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||2 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Processed by Mary Nutting
Exported from AoR and added to new database May 2022 – TD
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
In 1932, permission was granted to organize a school district in the East Fox Creek area. In 1934, a third attempt resulted in the community voting in favor of starting a school. The first classes were held in Fred Johnson’s home which he had disassembled and moved closer to the road and reassembled. The community supplied the doors, windows and desks. Four acres of land were donated by Ethel Hicks, work bees were planned and a school was ready for use in September 1935. The first teacher was Eleanor Carter. She boarded at Frank Reynolds’ home, three miles from the school. Teachers from 1940 -1955 included H. Martin, Edward Rockarts, Myrtle Thomas, Marie Wityshyn, Mrs. F.A. Richards, Mrs. Mike Senciw, and Noreen Cressman. The school was put up for sale in 1949 but then was reopened to relieve overcrowding at Fox Creek. The school finally closed in 1955 and students were bussed to Eaglesham. The building was sold to Bill Vandeligt in 1964.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of 8 Daily Registers from 1940-1955.
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
No accruals are expected
- Textual record (documentary form)
- Education (subject)