|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||Equity School District 3929 fonds|
|Date:||1920-1938 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||1 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Added to new database Feb. 2022 – SF|
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
The first school in the Equity district was held in a log cabin on Alex Novlesky’s homestead in 1920. The first teacher was Miss C. Smith (Mrs. L. Hecken). She was followed by Mr. M. McLeod, Miss Helen Watson (Mrs. George Badger), Miss Burgess, Miss Cobb, Nain Grimmett, Cleora White, Alberdina Ganzeveld, Gertie Gourley, Ettie Cochrane, Norma Geeson, Stella Becker, Dora Doyle, Irene Johnson, Jean Fraser-Smith, Nicholas Onyschuk, Philip Cox, Shirley Cooksley, K. Hrehirchuk, Mary Warren, Bernice Willis, Mary Smart, Mary Kirkham, Nancy Wood and Muriel Coleman.
In 1939, another school was built in the area and called North Equity. Grade Nine students from both schools attended North Sexsmith School.
Equity School closed in 1951, and the pupils were bussed to Sexsmith. In 1954, the woodshed and barn were sold and moved off the property.
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of one minute book.