Eaglesham Consumers’ Cooperative Association Ltd. fonds. — 1946-1971. — 5 cm of textual records.
In 1945, when Mr. Ovila Forget’s store at Eaglesham was for sale, it was suggested that it become a Co-operative. A public meeting was held on January 17, 1946, and the Eaglesham Consumers’ Cooperative Ass’n Ltd. was formed. The group elected a temporary board and terms of sale for the store business were drawn up. The total price of $17,000 included the store (with warehouse and living quarters), ice house, woodshed, original garage, store equipment and stock, and retail gas pump. Shares were sold at $10.00 each, and on March 9, 1946, a permanent board was elected, with Thomas Beggs as president, Thomas Lessard as secretary, and directors Cecil Bice, James Emerson, George Gorgichuck, Bert Larson, Joseph Paziuk, and Ray Emerson. The first managers of the Eaglesham Consumers’ Cooperative were Mr. & Mrs. George Meunier, from April 2, 1946 to Dec 31, 1949. Their salary was $175.00 per month plus living quarters at the store. A clerk’s salary was $15.00 per week. Items for sale included groceries, dry goods (chiefly work clothing), building supplies and gasoline for automobiles. Members hauled fire wood and ice (for a fee), and freight was hauled by a local trucking company from the Eaglesham Railway Station. Inside the store was the office of the Eaglesham Savings and Credit Union, who also shared the store’s safe. Over the years the building was renovated to enlarge the business area. The Co-op was an integral part of the community and sponsored many local events such as the agricultural fairs, sports and field days, homemaker demonstrations, and local talent shows as well as sending young people to camps and courses. On December 27, 1969, the Co-op Store burned down, and at the 24th annual meeting held on April 27, 1970, the members voted for the dissolution of the Association.
The records were deposited in South Peace Regional Archives by Nick Poohkay in 2007.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of executive records, financial records, correspondence
Table of Contents
|Series 322.01||Executive Records|
|Series 322.02||Financial Records|
|Series 322.04||Associated Organizations|
|Series 322.01||Executive Records. — 1946-1970. — 1 cm of textual records.The series consists of an original share owned by Gordon Bice, permits and licenses to operate a grocery store and sell tobacco; financial statements for 1953-1955, 1968, and 1969; a director’s report for 1956; a 1970 Insurance valuation after the store burned down in December 1969; and the agenda for the 1970 meeting when the Co-operative was dissolved.|
|Series 322.02||Financial Records. — 1946-1970. — 2 cm of textual records.The fonds consists of a ledger from 1957-1963 containing the names of members, the value of their shares, dividends paid out and loans to the members. There is also a file of correspondence, statements and invoices from the Federated Co-operatives Ltd., who managed the payroll accounts, and correspondence regarding financial records and obligations after the 1969 fire.|
|Series 322.03||Correspondence. — 1967-1970. — 1 cm of textual records.The fonds consists of correspondence from co-op members and the companies they dealt with, such as Co-operative Insurance Services, Federated Co-operatives Ltd., Farmers’ Union and CDA, and the Government of Alberta. Some of the correspondence has to do with settling claims after the Co-op burned down in December 1969.|
|Series 322.04||Associated Organizations. — [1964-1969]. — 1 cm of textual records.The fonds consists of correspondance and circulars from provincial and federal cooperative associations: Credit Union and Cooperative bulletins from the Province of Alberta; newsletters from the Federated Co-operatives Ltd. based in Saskatoon; information on Credit Trading (“an approach to extending credit, in all it forms, by retail co-operatives to their members”), and credit management. There is also a booklet called “Duties of Directors”, four reports (1964-1968) from the Falher General Co-operative Association, and a 1970 Operating Statement from the Grande Prairie & District Co-operative Assoc.|