|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||Chatham School District 3638 fonds|
|Date:||1918-1937 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||1 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Added to new database Feb. 2022 – SF|
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
Chatham School District was formed in 1916, and for the first few years classes were taught in borrowed quarters: a vacant house for the 1916-1917 term, and then in the U.F.A. hall which was built in 1918. The school was built in 1925 by George and Orville Jensen. It operated until 1948, when the students were bussed to Sexsmith.
Teachers were Agnes Ferris, Miss B. Hallet, Miss C.H. Johnston, Ethel Turner, Marion Morrison, Margaret O’Neill, George Grover, Miss S. Olson, Mis Frewing, Miss M. Wheatley, Gertrude Brightwell, Olive Adsett, Ruth Axelson, Milton Robertson, Miss M. Meiklejohn, Alice Hettinger, Miss M. R. Burton, Miss Jean Fraser-Smith, Miss M. Jaque, Shirley Love and Alice Samuelson (supervisor).
The District School Board handed in their records to the County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14. In 1991, the County deposited them on loan with the Provincial Archives, and in 2000 these records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by permanent donation.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of one minute book from the school board.