|Repository:||South Peace Regional Archives|
|Title:||Bay Tree School District 3953 fonds|
|Date:||1920-1957 (date of creation)|
|Physical description:||5 cm of textual records|
|Dates of creation, revision and deletion:||Processed by Mary Nutting
Exported from AoR and added to new database May 2022 – TD
Administrative history / Biographical sketch
While the Bay Tree School District was established by 1920 and a decision made to borrow $2500 for building a school, only a temporary one was established in Hickey’s residence. Eugene Becotte was president and Henry Bourque, secretary/treasurer of the new district. Over the next five years the district had some difficulties in securing financial support, so in 1926 an agreement was made with the East Pouce Coupe School District to “provide educational facilities for children of school age from the Bay Tree District at East Pouce Coupe School.” Tuition fees and transportation costs would be paid by the Bay Tree residents. Non payment of taxes plagued the school district and resulted in them having to borrow money from the bank just to pay tuition and transportation. At the annual meeting in July, 1929, ratepayers voted in favour of borrowing $1000 and proceeding with building a school house, and in 1930 it was arranged for a “temporary school house, frame building to be erected and authority to issue debentures amount #1000. to be applied for.” The school site chosen was the SW corner of 4-79-13 W6. A call for tenders for the building resulted in R. Clearwaters’ bid of $450. being accepted. Preparations were made for hiring D.R. Cox as teacher at $1000 per year, “duties to commence when building being erected for Bay Tree School is accepted by the Board.” Tax collection was often postponed and agreements made where possible to make payments on kind by supplying wood or work. Bids for building an ice house were to be applied to taxes too. In 1938 a new permanent school was finally built. The Bay Tree School served the district until 1957, when it was closed under consolidation.
The records were preserved and given to the Spirit River School Division No. 47 sometime after it was formed in 1940. Peace Wapiti School Division assumed responsibility for this division in 1994 and the records were deposited in the Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2003.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes from 1920 to 1938 and 9 Daily Registers from 1941 to 1957 for the following teachers: Arthur Emmott, Mr. W.W. Baird, Verna McNiven, Verna Smathers, E. Robertson, and Mrs. M.L. Rowe.
- Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
No accruals are expected
- Textual record (documentary form)
- Education (subject)