Fonds 151 Arthur Patterson family fonds

Arthur Patterson family fonds. — 1915-1968. — 1 cm of textual records, 1 photographs, 5 maps.

Back to Finding Aids

Biographical Sketch

Arthur’s father, James Ott Patterson, was born in Hannibal, Missouri in 1885, and moved to Everett, Washington in 1900. In 1909 he married Ruby Witherly and in 1914 he walked over the Edson Trail to file on a homestead in the Glen Leslie area. In 1915 James, Ruby and young son Arthur moved to their homestead. Although he had only a grade 4 education, James was a skilled carpenter and blacksmith. The family moved back to Washington in 1919, returning in 1923 with two additional children, Earl (1918), and Neil (1920). Arthur worked with his father, farming in summer, and trapping and logging in winter. In 1937 Arthur married Eva Lemky and moved to Everett, Washington, working in the fuel business until 1942 when they returned to set up their own farming business. They had four children: Greg (deceased), Everett, Roger, and Diane. Arthur was engaged in many occupations besides farming including truck driver, school bus operator, oil field worker, crop insurance adjuster, carpenter, bookkeeper, saw mill operator and in later years, a writer. In 1984 he married Ruth (Hughson) Thorpe. He died on August 3, 2002.

Custodial History

The records were donated to the Grande Prairie Regional Archives by Arthur’s son and daughter-in-law, Everett and Joan Patterson, in March, 2003.

Scope and Content

The fonds consists of genealogy records of families Hazelton, White, Hughson, Thorpe, Patterson; 3 books: “The Family of James Patterson”, a report on the development of the County of Grande Prairie Industrial Park, and a Queen Elizabeth ll Hospital Design Report (1981); 4 maps of the County of Grande Prairie and 1 of Bezanson; a 1983 submission by the County of Grande Prairie to Alberta Transportation; invitations to official opening of QEII Hospital; Montrose and Grande Prairie High School Reunion (1979) booklet; a letter to Mr. R Wales from Elizabeth Keough; burial permits (1937, 1960-1968); one photograph of an unidentified couple; and 2 speeches written in tribute to Douglas Clarkson and Ernie Watt.

Back to Top