Municipal Government Records

Records and the information they contain are valuable assets of your municipality. Ensure they are preserved for the long-term for the benefit of your municipality and its citizens by including South Peace Regional Archives in your Records Management plan.

Although SPRA is a public archives, we are governed by provincial and federal legislation, including the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Records are restricted as dictated by the legislation and in consultation with records donors.

You Know It’s Time to Contact Us When (or What We Can Do For You)

Your municipal office is getting cluttered with records no one uses anymore. Inactive and obsolete records can take up a lot of valuable space. If you transfer them to us, you will be freeing up space for current records and your old records will be more accessible to the public. Regular records transfers would be ideal.

You are reviewing records schedules and you are not sure what records the Archives would be interested in. As you are aware, not every record created by a municipality and its employees needs to be kept forever. The Archives would like to be included in your schedules and would welcome discussions to make this happen.

Your municipality is getting a new records management system. Ideally your records management system will feed into ours, so we would appreciate you keeping us abreast of any new developments in your plan and system.

Someone in your municipality needs to find a record from years past. Past records are still valuable in the present, even if they are not used all the time. They are necessary to support today’s policy and planning decisions. We are the Archives for your municipality and hold whatever inactive records you may have transferred to us. The finding aid for your municipality’s records is available on our website.

A researcher from you community shows up at your office asking questions about the history of your municipality or an important anniversary is coming up and you need historical information and photographs. As your municipality’s archives, we collect material not only from the municipality itself, but also from its individual people, families, organizations, and businesses.

We want to build strong, mutually beneficial relationships with all of our municipal partners. Coordination and cooperation between the Archives and the records management departments of each municipality is essential. Please contact us with any questions or concerns you might have.

What Kinds of Records does South Peace Regional Archives want Transferred from Municipalities?

For the most part, the Archives is interested in records marked for permanent retention or archiving those with ongoing legal, fiscal, historical/research value). These may include:

  • Council Minutes and Agendas
  • Minutes and Agendas of Other Boards/ Committees
  • Incorporation Records
  • Bylaws
  • Operating and Capital Budgets
  • Financial Statements
  • Receipts and Disbursement Journals
  • Annual Reports
  • Agreements
  • Contracts
  • Annexation Records
  • Tax Assessment Rolls
  • Tax Recovery Records
  • Tax Sale Deeds
  • Certificates of Title
  • Index of Destroyed Records
  • Franchises
  • Local Improvements Records
  • Street Sign Inventory
  • Employee Termination Records
  • Engineering Drawings
  • Maps and Plans
  • Photographs
  • Publications
  • Studies
  • Organizational Structure
  •  and others, including those records you deem historical.

The Archives is interested in records in any physical format (including paper documents, photographs, maps, films, sound recordings, electronic records, documentary art, and architectural drawings) created, accumulated, and used by the municipality as it carries out its functions and activities.