Glass Lake School District #3785 fonds. — 1936-1938. — 1.5 cm of textual records. — 1 photographs.
Glass Lake School was located east of Hythe, and named for a lake just north of the school site. It was also called the East Hythe School. The District was authorized in 1919, but had difficulty getting established and the first few sessions were held during the summer months in houses. A log school house was built on the NW 23-73-10 W6 in 1924.Teachers over the years were Roger North, Mrs. McCallum, Kathleen Robson, Clara Jerstad, Gladys Park, Mr. Floen, Mrs. Nepstad, Mrs. Cunningham, and Mrs. Ventress. The school closed c. 1950 and the students were bussed to Hythe.
Records were passed on to the County of Grande Prairie No. 1, who transferred them to South Peace Regional Archives in 2013.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one minute book detailing the decisions made by the Glass Lake School District for the years 1936-1938, a tender from 1937, and a class photograph from 1936. The fonds also includes later historical notes based on the minutes, notes on agriculture, a biography of Rob Robson, and stories about music and Hythe Seniors, including Amanda Jardie. Olive Stickney is the presumed author of these notes.
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Related records: fonds 063, County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14 minutes (063.01) and correspondence (063.02).
Source of historical note: A Grande Education
Accession No. 2013.06