New Photos At SPRA

A collection of photographs is one of the newest donations we have received at South Peace Regional Archives. The photographs date from 1916-1920s, and have been passed down through the Arnold family.

The Arnolds traveled on the first train that came to Grande Prairie, settling in the Bear Lake district. Edward Arnold, along with his wife Sadie, daughter Louise and son Joe, first rented land from the Patrick family and then settled on NE 12-73-8-W6. Louise attended Big Horn School and later worked as a teacher at Currie School. Mrs. Arnold served as the Niobe postmistress from 1918-1919 and sadly losing her husband Edward in December of 1919.

The pictures depict life in the Peace Country in those early days.

L-R unidentified lady, Mrs. Bredin and Louise Arnold at Bredins in 1921.

 

*top photograph – Currie school students with teacher Louise Arnold

Source: La Glace book “Yesterday and Today” p.154 and information provided by the donor.

This Week in 1914 – The Town That Never Was

SPRA 0177.028: Mr & Mrs. Bredin with Marjory Bradford, daughter of Dr. Andrew Bradford, on the shores of Bear Lake near their home, ca. 1920.

SPRA 0177.028: Mr & Mrs. Bredin with Marjory Bradford, daughter of Dr. Andrew Bradford, on the shores of Bear Lake near their home, ca. 1920.

Convinced that the railway would eventually pass through the Bear and Hermit lake area, plans were announced for new town sites where the Canadian Northern Railway “will traverse this strip of land beyond doubt.” How disappointed the fellows must have been when that didn’t happen!”

Grande Prairie Herald Feb. 3, 1914

Grande Prairie Herald Feb. 3, 1914

Grande Prairie Herald Feb. 24, 1914

Grande Prairie Herald Feb. 24, 1914