1911 – 1942. — 1 cm of textual records, 2 photographs.
In 1911, at the ages of 60 and 59, William and Priscilla Gilmour came to the Peace Country with their grown sons George and Ernest (Bill) to take advantage of low-priced homestead land. They traveled by train from Port Robinson to Edson, where they bought horses, wagon and supplies, then spent four months on the trail, arriving on Sept. 12, 1911. They settled on SW 22-71-8-W6, just north of where the Wembley elevators now stand. Mrs. Gilmour kept a diary of the trip and the first few months on the homestead. In 1916, their daughters, Hattie May Gilmour & Ernest Wilson and Sarah Wood came with their families to join their parents in the Peace Country. William is buried in the old Methodist Church cemetary, which is now the Wembley Community Cemetary.
Diary was donated in 1990 by Mary Wilson Moschenrass and photographs were passed on to the archives by Elsie Wilson Colby Denney through Dr. David Leonard in 1999.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one 78 page diary; two photographs of Mrs. Gilmour, one with the Lake Saskatoon Church group c. 1920, and one when she was 90 years of age; and a “Succeeding Generations Scroll” from the Grande Prairie District Oldtimers Association for Elsie Denney, a grand-daughter of the Gilmour’s.