Municipal District of Grande Prairie No. 739. — 1913-1944. — 15.5 cm of textual records. — 1 maps.
The Municipal District of Grande Prairie No. 709 was formed in 1912, about the same time as the Rural Municipal District of Bear Lake No. 740, and held its first session on January 6, 1913. Councilors at that meeting were J.H. Harris, A.W. Carveth, Leo Schroeder, John Oatway and J.W. Shortreed. A.W. Carveth was elected reeve and the application of D.H. Axon was accepted for secretary-treasurer. The M.D. was renumbered No. 739 in March 1913.
The M.D. extended west from the Smoky River through range 5 and from the Wapiti River north through township 73. In the County of Grande Prairie No. 1 50th Anniversary Special Edition produced by the Daily Herald Tribune, we read that “while the first action taken by both municipalities was to set up herd laws, wagon roads and rail roads were of immediate concern to the ratepayers…. Councillors agreed to press for a government wagon road extending from the Smoky River west to the eastern boundary of the M.D. of Bear Lake.” Another of the M.D.’s early decisions was to file on a quarter section, NE 8-72-4 W6th, for Agricultural Fair grounds and an Experimental Station.
The area was served by the two rural municipalities until December 31, 1943, when they were disestablished and merged to create the new Municipal District No. 780 (later renumbered No. 127) with considerable territory added. Five years later the County of Grande Prairie No. 1 replaced the old municipal districts system.
Records became the property of succeeding organizations, M.D. of Grande Prairie No. 780 and 127 and County of Grande Prairie No. 1, and were deposited on loan by the County of Grande Prairie in the Provincial Archives in 1970. The records were transferred to the Grande Prairie Regional Archival by permanent donation in 2000. An accrual to the fonds, the 1913-1943 minutes, was transferred by the County to South Peace Regional Archives in 2013.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of the records of the Municipal District of Grande Prairie No. 739 from 1913 to 1944. These records include by-laws and minutes, financial statements, a 1943 Alberta Gazette showing tax sales, and a town plan of Bezanson. The fonds is divided into three series: Minutes, Financial Management, and Maps and Plans.
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Discarded draft minutes, rough notes, and dividers.
Related records: 1928 Grande Prairie Municipality No. 739 land ownership map (2012.031)
Source of historical notes: Lake Saskatoon Reflections
|Series 061.02||Financial Management|
|Series 061.03||Maps and Plans|
|Series 061.01||Minutes. — 1913-1944. — 15 cm of textual records.The series consists of bylaws and minutes (1913-29, 1933-34, 1937-43) of the Municipal District of Grande Prairie No. 739. The meeting minutes contain various other records including accounts, monthly and yearly financial statements, audits, borrowing resolutions, oaths of office, election documents, and tax records. The records are arranged in chronological or reverse chronological order. In some files, order was regularized by the Archivist.|
|Series 061.02||Financial Management. — 1942-1943. — 0.5 cm of textual records.The series consists of financial statements from the M.D. of Grande Prairie No. 739 from 1942 to 1943 and a 1943 Alberta Gazette with lists of properties sold in tax sales.|
|Series 061.03||Maps and Plans. — 1913. — 1 maps.The series consists of a 1913 town plan of Bezanson, which fell within the M.D.’s borders.|