1963-1994. — 14 cm of textual records. — 7 photographs.
Eaglesham Ladies Auxiliary to the Royal Canadian Legion No. 235 received its charter on July 2, 1952. The area they served covered Eaglesham, Tangent and Watino. The first president was Pat Hillier and the first secretary was Joan Martin. Other charter members were Dorothy Reber, Agnes Campbell, Margaret (Peggy) Gartly, Esther Morgan, Marie Campbell, Margaret Burroughs and Edith Burroughs. The first meeting was held in the Legion Hut which was situated east of the Eaglesham Hotel. Meetings were also held at the homes of the members, especially in the winter when it was too cold in the hut.
The principles, aims and objects of a Ladies Auxiliary to the Royal Canadian Legion are the same as the local branch, and their main objective is to assist the local branch in any way they can. Activities included teas and bake sales to raise funds, and helping with the Legion activities on November 11, including catering the banquet and helping with the dance. They decorated the float each year for the fair, and operated a booth at the fair for many years. They also sent fruit baskets and flowers to the members in the hospital, and held an annual picnic for all Legion members and their families. This branch disbanded in February, 1971.
In March, 1974, a new branch was formed. “Your first obligation is to Veterans and widows,” they were told by District Commander Joyce Nelson. The charter President of this branch was Marlene Erickson, and the secretary was Louise Charest. Other members included treasurer Alma Felker, vice-president Fleurette Pazuik, 2nd vice-president Gloria Seward, Betty Trudel, Dolly Barnhardt, Marguerite Meunier, and Alice Portelance. Besides caring for veterans and their widows, the new club catered to Legion Golf and Crib Tournaments, as well as to funerals, and donated to many community projects. They sent delegates to district rallies and provincial conventions, and helped with November 11 celebrations as well as taking part in parades.
On April 16, 2003, the Sauve Branch No. 235 Ladies’ Auxiliary surrendered its Charter.
The records were donated to the South Peace Regional Archives by Morris Burroughs in 2007.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of
Table of Contents
|Series 328.01||Meeting Minutes|
|Series 328.02||Membership and activities|
|Series 328.03||Financial records|
|Series 328.05||Alberta-NWT Command|
|Series 328.01||Meeting Minutes. — 1963-2003. — 2 cm of textual records.The series consists of the original application for charter when the Ladies’ Auxiliary to Royal Canadian Legion 235 was re-organized in 1974, and three metal coil minute books and some loose leaf sheets with the minutes of the from 1963 to 1999. There is also a list of presidents and secretaries from the date of the first auxiliary in 1952 until 1984, compiled for a plaque for the Legion; and a letter from Alberta-NWT command canceling the Auxiliary’s Charter in 2003.|
|Series 328.02||Membership and activities. — 1952-1995. — 1 cm of textual records.The series consists of the original applications for membership from the first Ladies’ Auxiliary in 1952, and of the re-organized club in 1974; and seven photographs retrieved from a poster prepared by the ladies to commemorate the unveiling of the Cenotaph in Eaglesham. The activities of the Auxiliary are also covered in the correspondence series of the fonds.|
|Series 328.03||Financial records. — 1974-2001. — 2 cm of textual records.The series consists of a coil notebook used to record the accounts from 1974 to 1986; some statements and returned cheques for 1968 and for 1987 to 2001.|
|Series 328.04||Correspondence. — 1979-2001. — 2 cm of textual records.The series consists of correspondence, mostly from Alberta-NWT Command and the Provincial Ladies Auxilary. Correspondence covers Zone Rallys within the Peace Country, applications for Legion Bursaries, and thank-you letters for donations.|
|Series 328.05||Alberta-NWT Command. — 1980-1999. — 4 cm of textual records.The series consists of printed materials from the Alberta-NWT Command, head office of the Royal Canadian Legion Womens Auxiliaries. Material includes By-laws and constitution, handbooks and policy manuals. There are two small hand-made booklets, one called “Hopeful Hints from District 5” about raising funds and membership, and one called “Memories” from the 1995 Legion Convention held in Grande Prairie and contains a short history of Legions in the Peace River District.|