Fonds 394 James Lillico family fonds

fonds-394

Click Here To Order Photos

1912-1967. — 1 cm of textual records. — 33 photographs.


Back to Finding Aids

Biographical Sketch

Jessie Mary Edey and Kester Lloyd Lillico were married on Dec ember 14, 1938, in Spirit Valley. Jessie had been born to John and Elizabeth Edey in Wellwood, Manitoba in 1918 and after her mother passed away the Edey family moved to Spirit River in April, 1928. Kester was born in 1915 in Cypress River, Manitoba and arrived in Spirit River in the fall of 1918 with his parents James and Fanny Lillico and three brothers and one sister. Jessie and Kester bought land from the Winchells and moved to the SE 35-78-6-W6, one mile north of Spirit River. Three children were born: Elizabeth, Bonnie and William. In 1957, William James McRann (Mick) also became part of their family. The children all took their schooling in Spirit River. Betty lives in Edmonton, married to Peter Stewart and has one son, Brent; Bonny married George Flintoffand they have two daughters Sandra and Colleen and a farm near Spirit River; Bill married Gwen Lawrence (now divorced) and has two children: Cindy and Kevin; and Mick is divorced and has three children: Crystal, Deanne, and Jason and works for Suncor in Fort McMurray. Jessie worked for several businesses in Spirit River and was active in the UCW aand as a Sunday School teacher in the United Church. Kester farmed and sometimes worked out in the winter hauling wood and later for Dave Ross Equipment. In 1986, Jessie passed away as a result of cancer. In 1987 Kester married Connie MacDougall and they resided in Sexsmith.

Custodial History

The records were preserved by Jessie Lillico and donated to the South Peace Regional Archives byJessie’s daughter Bonnie Flintoff in 2009.

Scope and Content

The fonds consists of farming records belonging to James A. Lillico including farm lease agreements, a permit book, promisory notes, invoices, daily market prices from the Alberta Wheat Pool for 1934, a Hudson’s Bay Company map (1933) and 33 photographs of harvesting and families, schools and hospitals, parade floats, missions at Shaftesbury and Dunvegan, and the Dunvegan ferry.

Notes

 

 
The Catholic Mission, Spirit River, n.d.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
The Catholic Mission, Spirit River: L-R the third church, the second church and the first mission church.
Location: 0394.02
D.A.Thomas River Boat, [1920]
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
The D.A. Thomas river boat was being built in Peace River in 1915, by The Peace River Development Corp. founded by Lord Rhondda, David A. Thomas. Anticipation of oil production in the Peace, it was fitted with oil tanks to transport it. WW I hampered plans for oil transport but this riverboat provided transport up and down the Peace River until 1930.
Location: 0394.03
Railway Section House, [1920]
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
East of the elevators in Spirit River, a Canadian Pacific rail car sits next to the section house where the rail workers stayed. Two men are seen sitting on top of the rail car.
Location: 0394.04
Spirit City School, 1929
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
The third Spirit City School was built in 1929.
Location: 0394.05
One of the First Hospitals in Spirit River, n.d.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
One of the first hospitals in Spirit River.
Location: 0394.06
Spirit River Holy Cross Hospital, 1942
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
Hospital in Spirit River operated by the Order of the Grey Nuns.
Location: 0394.07
Holy Cross Hospital, 1942
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
Front view of Holy Cross Hospital in Spirit River operated by the Order of the Grey Nuns. This was their fifth hospital building.
Location: 0394.08
Spirit River High School, 1934
1 photograph; b & w; 4 x 6
Spirit River High School with students standing on the steps of the main entrance. Taken in June, 1934. Back far left is Jessie Edey, middle Alice Brown, far right Ethel Fildes and front far left Harry Edey.
Location: 0394.09
The Play “Lighthouse Nan”, 1921
1 photograph; b & w; 4 x 6
The Play “Lighthouse Nan” performed in the Dramatic Hall in Spirit River, showing the cast members. Fourth from the right is Ida Winchell.
Location: 0394.10
Spirit River Train Station, [1940]
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
A crowded Spirit River Train Station during war time.
Location: 0394.11
Rycroft Stampede, [1920]
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
A horse race at the Rycroft Stampede grounds. A small crowd hangs on the fence to watch.
Location: 0394.12
Sisters of the Holy Cross Hospital, Spirit River, [1941]
1 photograph; b & w; 2 x 3
Grey Nun Sisters of the Holy Cross Hospital, Spirit River, pose with a family including a patient on the left.
Location: 0394.13
Holy Cross Hospital, Spirit River, 1970
1 photograph postcard; b & w; 4 x 6
A photograph postcard of the Holy Cross Hospital in Spirit River showing additions to the 1942 fifth building.
Location: 0394.14
Class of Students Stand in front of D.D. Brook’s Store, [1919]
1 photograph postcard; b & w; 4 x 6
A photograph postcard of Cy Sutherland’s class of students standing on the board sidewalk in front of D.D. Brook’s store
Location: 0394.15
Spirit River School District #2109 is Organized, 1919
1 photograph; b & w; 4 x 6
Spirit River School District #2109 was organized in 1910, the first district to be organized in the south Peace. A group of citizens stand beside the school which was likely #2 built in 1919 in what is now the town of Rycroft. From L-R: Mrs. Thompson with her dog, Mr. Johnson, Forrest Thompson, Mrs. Stewart, Mrs. Esplen, Jackie Stewart, Mrs. Alexander, Mrs. Thompson? & Gladys, Mrs. Thiel?, Mrs.Henderson carrying a turkey? Oma Thompson, Mrs. Espler, Mrs. Strachan, Mrs. Johnson, Preacher. The note says,”My old school in the country”.
Location: 0394.16
Evela Walker, Teacher at Spirit Valley, [1930]
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
Teacher, Evela (Hula?) Walker, taught in Spirit Valley School during the 1930s.
Location: 0394.17
Hudson Bay Co.store by the Old Town Site, n.d.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
Hudson Bay Co.store by the Old Town Site in Spirit River.
Location: 0394.18
Spirit River Railway Station, n.d.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
A lady with her dogs is shown beside the Spirit Rver Railway Station.
Location: 0394.19
A Threshing Crew, n.d.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
A threshing crew operates in the background and three men including Ave Winchell.stand by the granary.
Location: 0394.20
Morley and Clare Edey With Grizzly, n.d.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
Morley and Clare Edey show off a grizzly bear they shot south of Mc Arthur’s farm.
Location: 0394.21
Mrs. Winchell and Buggy, n.d.
1 photograph; b & w; 2 x 4
Mrs. Winchell stands with her dog beside her and her horse and buggy waiting.
Location: 0394.22
1918 Cars Draw Attention, 1918
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
Onlookers around Mr. Hart, Spirit River banker in the background,and Billie English in their new cars. Lady in plaid skirt is Mrs. Maud English standing next to Mrs. Hart. Ronnie Hart is on the hood of his dad’s car Mrs. Cook and son, Lee, are on the running board and husband Ernie Cook standing. Lowell Cook (Chick) in second car. “These were regular visitors at [the Cook] home in those days and we enjoyed them so much”.
Location: 0394.23
Gordon Wilson & Wife,
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
Gordon Wilson and his wife.
Location: 0394.25
Kester Lillico’s First Car, [1942]
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
Kester Lillico’s first car sits beside a pile of sweet clover that has been bagged and piled.
Location: 0394.26
Threshing Crew at Work, [1940]
1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7
A threshing crew ready to operate in a field with 2 teams of horses pulling hay racks and a steel wheeled tractor running the long pulley -driven thresher.
Location: 0394.27
Parade Float, [1940]
1 photograph; b & w; 4 x5
A car is covered completely with a ruffled “dress” for a parade and sits in front of the Spirit River Motors building.
Location: 0394.28
4-H Parade Float, 1964
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 3
A 4-H float built on the back of a pick-up is decked out with members and paper flowers on the side spell out their motto: “Learn to Do By Doing”. Members include Bonnie Lillico and Gail Babiuk
Location: 0394.29
Spirit River Town, 1967
1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7
An aerial view of Spirit River showing the school, hospital, downtown and elevators.
Location: 0394.30
Dunvegan Ferry, [1935]
2 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4; 5 x 7
The Dunvegan Ferry croosing from the north to the south side of the Peace Rives and gertting ready to dock and let a man with his horse off on shore.
Location: 0394.31a- b
Anglican Manse at Dunvegan,
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
Anglican Manse at the Maples at Dunvegan, built in 1909, was used by George Garnet and his men to stay in when they built the first grade on Dunvegan Hill.
Location: 0394.32
Roman Catholic Mission on the Shaftesbury Trail,
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5
Roman Catholic Mission on Shaftesbury Trail, along the Peace River. The mission was founded by Father Husson in 1892 and one of the buildings was moved to Peace River transported across the ice in the winter. The site now holds the Peace River Correctional Center.
Location: 0394.33
 
The Hudson’s Bay Co. Map of the Peace River District, 1933
1 ; 20×28
The Hudson’s Bay Co. Map of the Peace River District showing lands for sale and lease.
Location: 0394.01
Back to Top