Fonds 024 Holroyd Drugs Photograph collection

fonds-024

Click Here To Order Photos

1908 – 1970, 1990. — 1 cm of textual records. — 251 photographs.

Back to Finding Aids

Agency History

Lynn Holroyd obtained a degree in Pharmacy from the University of Alberta in 1955; Marian (Hudz) Holroyd achieved the same in 1956. In 1958 they set up Holroyd Drugs Ltd. in the Donald Hotel in Grande Prairie. Here they operated until 1966, when they built new premises at 9923-100 Avenue, next door to the Donald. Holroyd Drugs was run at this location by the Holroyds for 31 years, until the business was sold in 1989.
At the 9923-100 Avenue location, Marian Holroyd began to create a window display of historical photographs each year for the County Parade and Fair days. Area residents offered family and personal photographs to add to the collection over the years, and Marian built up a sizable collection of photographs covering the early history of the south Peace Country. As well, she obtained photographs of notable events in the City of Grande Prairie from Paquin Photographs, which operated next door to them.

Custodial History

The collection was donated by Lynn and Marian Holroyd to Grande Prairie Regional Archives in 2000. An accrual including additional historical photographs, Paquin photographs, a 1962 County Fair Prize List booklet, and a booklet on “Place Names of Alberta”, was also donated by Lynn Holroyd in 2008.

Scope and Content

The fonds consists of Lynn Holroyd’s research notes on pharmacies in the south Peace Country and Marian Holroyd’s collection of historical photographs from families in the County of Grande Prairie and from Paquin Photographs. The accrual consists of historical photographs, 5 Paquin photographs, a 1962 County Fair Prize List booklet, a booklet “Place Names of Alberta”, 1928.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Photographs copied 1965 – 1989.
Restrictions of copyright on photographs obtained from the Glenbow Archives or from Paquin Photographs.
Finding Aids:
Holroyd Drugs fonds 024
Holroyd Drugs Historical Photographs 024.01 (A)
Holroyd Drugs Historical Photographs 024.01 (B)
Holroyd Drugs Paquin Photographs 024.02 (A)
Holroyd Drugs Paquin Photographs 024.02 (B)

Table of Contents

Series 024.01Historical Photographs
Series 024.02Paquin Photographs
Series 024.03Lynn Holroyd Research Papers & Booklets
Series 024.01Historical Photographs. — 1908 – 1937. — 146 photographs.The sub-series consists of b&w historical photographs of all sizes from pioneer families in the area, as well as a collection from the Glenbow Museum. The subjects of the photograph include the Edson & Long Trail, stopping places and mail delivery on the trail, homesteading activities, early fairs, buildings and street scenes in Grande Prairie, Lake Saskatoon, Valhalla and other communities, and family photographs from the Freiberg, Gustafson, Kinderwater, Knight and Lovering families.
 
Ox Team and Sleigh Leaving Edson for Grande Prairie, 1911
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
Three people, oxen and a loaded sleigh are waiting to leave Edson to travel to Grande Prairie. L. to R.: E. Davidson; Doctor R. Saw; Harvey A. Switzer – April 1911. A snow covered building, a dog and some animals are visible in the background.
Location: 0024.01.01.01
Stopping Place at the Tony River on the Edson Trail, 1910s c.
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
The stopping place is a log cabin, two smaller sod roofed buildings and another small building. Two flags are flown from the main cabin. A fence encloses the area along the Tony River on the Edson Trail.
Location: 0024.01.01.02
Opening of Dominion Lands Office, Grande Prairie, 1911
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
The opening of the Dominion Lands Office in Grande Prairie, Alberta, attracts a crowd – c. 1910. One man is lying on the ground.
Location: 0024.01.01.03
Settlers Camped on Grande Prairie Trail, n.d.
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
A woman is standing beside a group of settlers seated on the ground at their bull outfit camp. A stove and loaded wagons are visible in their camp on the Grande Prairie Trail. L-R in group: Mrs. Lossing; Mrs. Drake; Mr. McNaught; Clarence Lossing; Mrs. Smith; E. A. Smith; Mr. Gaudin; Garnet Truax; R. C. Lossing.
Location: 0024.01.01.04
Settler’s Wagon Upset on Grande Prairie Trail, 1909
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
This was known as the “Bull outfit” as oxen were used. The upset wagon on the Grande Prairie Trail was owned by R. C. Lossing. Includes: J. M. (Mac) Miller; George Flint; Elias Smith; William Crabbe.
Location: 0024.01.01.05
View of Grande Prairie, 1916
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
“Where rail and trail meet”…Grande Prairie was the end of steel at this time. The Wishart House is to the right of the rail tracks.
Location: 0024.01.01.06
Moving Thomson’s Hardware Store, Grande Prairie, 1916
1 photograph; b & w; 6 X 10
Teams of horses moving Thomson’s store, Grande Prairie, Alberta, April 1916. The Selkirk Trading Co. seen behind the hardware store was built in 1913 and later occupied by Ludbrook’s and Al’s News.
Location: 0024.01.01.07
Laying Cornerstone of the Kathryn Prittie Hospital, Grande Prairie, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
A group of men, women and children are gathered to watch the laying the cornerstone of the first hospital in Grande Prairie, The Kathryn Prittie Hospital, in 1913. At left in long white dress is Ms. A. D. Wishart; to the right of cornerstone Mrs. Forbes; Doctor Higbee; Miss Baird.
Location: 0024.01.01.08
Settlers on the Edson-Grande Prairie Trail, n.d.
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
Horses are used to transport wagons loaded with household effects on the Edson – Grande Prairie Trail. A man, woman and child are standing amid horses and their two covered wagons.
Location: 0024.01.01.09
Main street at Grande Prairie, 1916
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
A view of both sides of Main Street, Grande Prairie, 1916. Two hotels, a meat market, drug store, laundry facility and other businesses are identifiable by their signs.
Location: 0024.01.01.10
Mail Stage Leaving Grande Prairie for Sturgeon Lake, 1924
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
Winter scene of a boxed-in sleigh and four horse team leaving Grande Prairie. The driver, D. Phelps, who is not shown made trip once or twice weekly. weekly from Grande Prairie to Sturgeon Lake. The main street of Grande Prairie is decorated for carnival. View is from a point just east of the Clairmont Road and Richmond Avenue intersection.
Location: 0024.01.01.11
Field of Wheat in Lake Saskatoon District, 1916
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
Field of wheat in Lake Saskatoon district, Alberta – 1916. Lake Saskatoon is visible in the background.
Location: 0024.01.01.12
Main Street at Lake Saskatoon, 1916
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
Main street of Lake Saskatoon on September 6, 1916. Lake Saskatoon Blacksmith Shop and Bob Abbott’s Pool Room was owned by Bob Abbott. The building on the end of the street on the right hand side was Diamond P. Peace River Trading & Land. Tilden’s restaurant is not shown. The building on the left hand side with a veranda is the other restaurant. The next building with a veranda is Dr. McDonald’s and drugstore. He came in 1914 and married Luella Patterson. They later divorced; she is now Mrs. Walter Roberts. Crofton Cody was the manager of the first Bank of Commerce. He came in 1911.
Location: 0024.01.01.13
The Canadian Bank of Commerce, Lake Saskatoon, 1916
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
The Lake Saskatoon Bank of Commerce, September 6, 1916. A poster with drawings of horses is posted on the front of the bank. A man is walking on the left with a building behind him.
Location: 0024.01.01.14
Threshing Outfit in Grande Prairie District, 1917
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
Threshing outfit in Grande Prairie District, Alberta, 1917. A tractor, threshing machine, wagon of bundled grain and sacks of grain are in the middle of a field. The pile of straw is larger than the machine.
Location: 0024.01.01.15
Man and Dog on Edson-Grande Prairie Trail, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
Man with backpack and dog wearing a pack are traveling on the snowy Edson – Grande Prairie Trail.
Location: 0024.01.01.16
Severson’s Stopping place, Grande Prairie-Edson Trail, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
Severson’s stopping place at 70 miles on Grande Prairie – Edson Trail, 1913. Three men are standing in the snow near three log buildings, some bales of hay, a wagon and equipment.
Location: 0024.01.01.17
Settlers Going In On The Edson-Grande Prairie Trail, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
Settler families going in on Grande Prairie – Edson trail, Alberta, 1913. Four men, three women and two children in winter clothing stand in front of two horses pulling a caboose. One man has his arm around the head of a cow.
Location: 0024.01.01.18
Mail Sleigh Leaving Sturgeon Lake for Grande Prairie, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
Three men sitting with furs on a mail sleigh are being pulled by two horses. They are leaving Sturgeon Lake for Grande Prairie, Alberta, 1913. There is a “Lost” poster on the front of the Hudson’s Bay Company building behind the sleigh. Three men stand on the wooden boardwalk.
Location: 0024.01.01.19
Mail Sleighs On The Edson-Grande Prairie Trail, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
Relaying His Majesty’s mail by Mail sleighs on Grande Prairie trail, Alberta, 1913. Four teams of horses and sleighs take a break on the trail. Furs and sacks are visible on the sleighs. Grass and dirt show through the snow.
Location: 0024.01.01.20
Scottie’s Stopping Place On The Edson-Grande Prairie Trail, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
Scottie’s stopping place on Edson – Grande Prairie trail, Alberta, 1913. Four men lean on the large log building near a wet stone. Another log building, two barrels and small barns with hay bales on top are in the right hand side of the photograph.
Location: 0024.01.01.21
Grande Prairie, 1914
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
The city of Grande Prairie, Alberta, March, 1914. A wooden building with a false front is being built. This building, a hotel and pool room are in the foreground. The dirt of the street is visible through the snow. Approximately thirteen buildings make up the background.
Location: 0024.01.01.22
Grande Prairie, 1916
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
A bird’s eye view of Main Street Grande Prairie, Alberta, September 6, 1916. The Empire Hotel, Selkirk Trading Company, Kirby’s Photos, a barber shop with pole, an autolivery, hotel (Cochline?), confectionery and real estate office are identifiable.
Location: 0024.01.01.23
Grande Prairie, Richmond Avenue, 1914
1 photograph; b&w; 7×10 in.
Street scene of Richmond Avenue in 1914, showing the Pool Hall, the Empire Hotel and the Selkirk Trading Company. Original negative is at Glenbow Archives, photograph number NC-6-725.
Location: 0024.01.01.24
Grande Prairie, Richmond Avenue, 1916
1 photograph; b&w; 7×10 in.
Street scene of Richmond Avenue in 1916, showing the Empire Hotel, Selkirk Trading Company, Coghland Hotel, a confectionary and a barber shop. Original negative is at Glenbow Archives, photograph number NC-6-1847. .
Location: 0024.01.01.25
School Picnic At Valhalla Centre, n.d.
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 X 5
School picnic at the first Valhalla Centre School built in 1913-14. People are gathered under the covered porch and at the rear of the building.
Location: 0024.01.02.01
Celebrations at Ronning Homestead, Valhalla, 1917
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
A Norwegian celebration in Valhalla at the Ronning Homestead, June 7, 1917. A large group of people is gathered in a grassy area in front of trees and a large house with two covered balconies.
Location: 0024.01.02.02
First Lumberyard In Vallhalla, 1920 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 X 5
The wooden building with a false front is the first lumberyard in Valhalla. Next to it is the De Laval Cream Separators building with a false front and fence. Snow is in the foreground.
Location: 0024.01.02.03
Moving First General Store To Valhalla Centre, 1920 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 X 5
A steam engine is used to move the first general store to Valhalla Centre from its former location on Flayton place (2 miles W and 1 mile N) in the early 1920s. Six men and two children are present.
Location: 0024.01.02.04
Hauling Butter to Sexsmith, 1920 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 X 5
A four horse team and sleigh is used to haul butter about 25 miles over the snow from Valhalla Centre to Sexsmith in the 1920’s. A man is standing on the sleigh in front of a large wood frame building.
Location: 0024.01.02.05
Valhalla Lutheran Church, 1920 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
The Valhalla Lutheran Church in the early 1920’s. The photograph is time exposure and was taken at midnight.
Location: 0024.01.02.06
Fence Building Workbee, 1920 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 X 5
West, up on top of the hill, men construct a fence around the graveyard at Valhalla Centre. The fence still stands. The ladies brought lunch to the workbee.
Location: 0024.01.02.07
Valhalla Band, 1926
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
The Valhalla Band members are standing in the snow in front of a lumber camp with their instruments. The visible instruments are drums, tubas, trumpets, a trombone, a guitar, a clarinet and a saxophone. The leader of the Valhalla Band was Mr. Harry Horte who is at the rear of the drums.
Location: 0024.01.02.08
Valhalla Band, 1926
1 photograph; b&w; 3×5 in.
Band at Valhalla Centre.
Location: 0024.01.02.09
Valhalla General Store, [1920]
1 photograph; b&w; 3×5 in.
One of the first stores in Valhalla, with Gus or Peter Nepstad (father) standing in front. This store was built by Gus Nepstad and later was destroyed by fire.
Location: 0024.01.02.10
Valhalla General Store, [1920]
1 photograph; b&w; 3×5 in.
General Store at Valhalla around 1920.
Location: 0024.01.02.11
Ronning & Horte Sawmill, [1920]
1 photograph; b&w; 3×5 in.
Ronning & Horte sawmill at Skunk Lake near Valhalla. This was 12 miles north west of Valhalla Centre. A team of oxen was used to skid the lumber to the sawmill.
Location: 0024.01.02.12
Ronning & Horte Sawmill, [1920]
1 photograph; b&w; 3×5 in.
Anton Horte’s hous, one of the first home built in Valhalla Centre.
Location: 0024.01.02.13
Horneland & Neptead Drillers, [1920]
2 photograph; b&w; 3×5 in.
Well drillers Merlin Horneland and Albert Neptead drilling a well on the Rorem homestead. The well bucket had knives under it, and when it was full, was pulled out to dump. This well was 90 ft. deep and the water came right to the top. The cribbing was made out of wood. and the wooden casing had a 2″ hole.
Location: 0024.01.02.14-15
Sawing Wood, [1920]
1 photograph; b&w; 3×5 in.
Equipment used in the community sawmill. Note the water tank in the foreground. The first year, wood was hauled in voluntarily when anyone had time, then the group got together and saw it into lumber.
Location: 0024.01.02.16
Hauling Ice for Valhalla Cremery, [1920]
; ;
Boys on horseback haul ice from the ice house for the Valhalla Cremery in the 1920s. This creamery made about 1200 lb. of butter per churn load, about two times per week. They won several prizes for their butter at national exhibitions.
Location: 0024.01.02.17
Blacksmith Ivor Wold, [1920]
; ;
Ivor Wold blacksmithing outside of his blacksmith shop just under construction at Valhalla Centre. The Blacksmith shop was located north of the Creamery.
Location: 0024.01.02.18
Ronning Homestead, [1920]
; ;
Rev. Ronning’s original homestead house, a two storey home built near Valhalla. He was the minister of the Norweigen Lutheran Church and the father of Chester Ronning, Canadian ambassador to China.
Location: 0024.01.02.19
Norwegian Lutheran Church Picnic, [1925]
1 photograph; b&w; 4×6 in.
Norwegian Lutheran Church picnic at the creek below Rev. Ronning’s house in 1925 or 1926. Rev. Ronning and his son Chester are on the left hand side.
Location: 0024.01.02.20
Pool Family Children, [1920]
; ;
The Pool family children ca. 1920. Clarence was a director of the Valhalla Cremery. He and his wife, Minnie (Johnson) Pool had six children: Ralph, Mina, Clarence (Todd), Lee, Harold, and Yukola.
Location: 0024.01.02.21
John and Fred Friberg, 1912 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 5 X 7
Indoor portrait of John and Fred Friberg who walked the Edson Trail to their homestead in LaGlace.
Location: 0024.01.03.01
Churning Butter, n.d.
1 photograph; b & w; 5 X 7
John Friberg is seated in a wooden chair in the doorway churning butter.
Location: 0024.01.03.02
Mrs. Gothard Gustafson Holding a Child, 1925 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 5 X 7
Mrs. Gothard Gustafson is holding a child at LaGlace. She is dressed formally with fancy shoes and barrette in her hair. Note outside laundry facilities for boiling clothes.
Location: 0024.01.04.01
Stone Boat Ride, 1925 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 5 X 7
Gothard Gustafson holds the horse while Mrs. G. Gustafson and Jeany ride on the stone boat. A wooden house and wagon are in the background.
Location: 0024.01.04.02
Rail Line Maintenance, 1925 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 5 X 7
Gothard Gustafson holding a rifle and standing beside a hand car. Two barrels, some equipment and a dog are also on the railroad between Wembley and Grande Prairie.
Location: 0024.01.04.03
Mr. Gothard Gustafson On a Break, 1925 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 5 X 7
Gothard Gustafson taking a break and sitting on a bale of reinforcing wire for laying the railroad, ca. 1925. Some wood, equipment and a small wood building are visible on the right side of the photograph.
Location: 0024.01.04.04
Stan Johnson and Roy Gustafson With Muskrat Skins, 1925 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 5 X 7
Stan Johnson (about 15 years of age) and Roy Gustafson are standing in front of a wood house. Muskrat skins are leaning against the house while being stretched.
Location: 0024.01.04.05
Indian Camp On The Beaverlodge River, 1911
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
Indian Camp on the Beaverlodge River, 1911. Three men and a child are standing in front of three teepees. The ground is partially covered in snow.
Location: 0024.01.05.01
Leaving for Supplies, Edson-Grande Prairie Trail, 1912
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
Two teams of horses are pulling sleighs from Grande Prairie to Edson for winter supplies.
Location: 0024.01.05.02
First Automobile In Grande Prairie, 1912 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
Two men and a woman are seated in the first automobile in Grande Prairie owned by George S. Lovering. Another man is leaning against the car. Another vehicle and people are visible in the background.
Location: 0024.01.05.03
Grande Prairie Agricultural Fair, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
Displays in the Grande Prairie Agricultural Fair, 1913. Two birds in a cage, pillows, quilts, clothing, soap and other handicraft items are displayed.
Location: 0024.01.05.04
Grande Prairie Fair, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
A long row of people are at the Grande Prairie Agricultural Fair, 1913. Two flags and buildings are in the background.
Location: 0024.01.05.05
Kinderwater Horse and Oxen Outfit, 1918 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 X 5
Close up of Frank Kinderwater’s team of two oxen and two horses are breaking land southeast of LaGlace.
Location: 0024.01.06.01
Kinderwater Breaking Land, 1918 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 X 5
A man is driving Frank Kinderwater’s team of two oxen and two horses and is breaking land southeast of LaGlace.
Location: 0024.01.06.02
Knight and Team Of Four Oxen Plowing The Land, 1917 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 X 5
Roy Knight, Valhalla bachelor, plowing with team of four oxen in the Valhalla District.
Location: 0024.01.07.01
Knight and Team Of Four Oxen Plowing The Land, 1917 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 X 5
Roy Knight and team of four oxen plowing land in the Valhalla District. Roy Knight was a bachelor and is now deceased. His land is now owned by the Gilkysons.
Location: 0024.01.07.02
Knight and Team Of Four Oxen Plowing The Land, 1917 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 X 5
Roy Knight and team of four oxen plowing land in the Valhalla District.
Location: 0024.01.07.03
Settlers On The Edson Trail, 1911 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 5 X 7
Hilltop view of horse teams and wagons coming down the snowy Edson-Grande Prairie Trail.
Location: 0024.01.08.01
Horses Pulling Boiler On The Edson Trail., 1911 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 5 X 7
Team of horses pulling boiler up a hill on the snowy Edson-Grande Prairie Trail.
Location: 0024.01.08.02
Horses Pulling Boiler On The Edson Trail, 1911 c.
; ;
Team of horses taking boiler downhill on the Edson-Grande Prairie Trail.
Location: 0024.01.08.03
Rest Stop on the Edson Trail, 1911 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 5 X 7
Spencer party stopping for a rest on the Edson-Grande Prairie Trail.
Location: 0024.01.08.03a
Grande Prairie School Construction, 1917
1 photograph; b & w; 7 X 10
Construction of Grande Prairie School, July 31, 1917.
Location: 0024.01.08.04
Argonauts Company Building, 1917
; ;
Charles Spencer was a partner in the Argonaut Company which established the townsite of “Grande Prairie City”.
Location: 0024.01.08.05
Grande Prairie Catholic Church, 1909 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
A woman on horseback, beside another horse, are standing in front of the Roman Catholic Church and cemetery. The first Roman Catholic Mission to be established in the Grande Prairie District was built by Father Alac with the aid of Brother Mathias about 1909. The Catholic population at this time consisted of about 20 Cree families located around the Flying Shot
Location: 0024.01.09.01
Campbell Benson’s Early Stopping Place at Bear Creek, 1910 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
Pioneers gathered outside Campbell Benson Stopping Place at Bear Creek. The cabin and 80 acres had belonged to a French Canadian, Joseph Germaine, who then sold it to the Argonaut Company. This formed the basis of Grande Prairie. An axe, gun, rope and other equipment are visible.
Location: 0024.01.09.02
At the Sports, 1910
1 photograph; b & w; 8 X 10
A crowd is gathered in front of teepees and tents at the sports, July 1, 1910. Photo from Mr. John Smith, Wembley and was probably taken at Saskatoon Lake.
Location: 0024.01.09.03
Hotel Breeden, 1910 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
Family group of three men, three women and four children in front of fence surrounding the sod-roofed Hotel Breeden. Blacksmith George Breeden’s one room log cabin near his shop overlooking Bear Creek was the first hotel in Grande Prairie, situated between present day Park Hotel and Bear Creek.
Location: 0024.01.09.04
“Cracker Jack” Feed and Livery Barn, 1911 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 5 X 7
A group of men, horses and a sleigh are stationed in front of a barn with a sign reading: “Lloyd & Son Feed,& Livery Transfer & Storage”. E.J. Holtom was the proprietor of the “Cracker Jack” feed, livery, and transfer barn in Edson, Alberta. Original photograph was owned by Mr. Holtom.
Location: 0024.01.09.05
Hauling Large Boat By Horse, 1911 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 5 X 7
A team of horses are hauling a large motor boat on a wagon from Edson. Men are standing and sitting on the boat. “Freighting motor boat” is written in white near the bottom of the photograph. A carrying case is in the foreground.
Location: 0024.01.09.06
Horses and Caboose Sleigh, 1911 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 X 5
A man is standing by a woman riding in a horse pulled caboose sleigh. A stove pipe protrudes from the roof of the caboose. Another team and uncovered wagon are in front of them on the snowy road.
Location: 0024.01.09.07
Horse and Caboose Sleigh on the Edson Trail, 1911 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
Horses are pulling a caboose sleigh on the snowy Edson-Grande Prairie Trail, 10 miles from Little Smoky River.
Location: 0024.01.09.08
Doubling Up Teams On The Little Smoky, 1911 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
Men are doubling up a team of horses and oxen for the hill. Six on this load and then they had all they could do. A loaded sleigh is waiting its turn. Little Smoky River had the longest hill on the Edson-Grande Prairie Trail.
Location: 0024.01.09.09
Rafters, 1911 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
Three men are rafting a river with two long poles. The river bank is partially covered in snow.
Location: 0024.01.09.10
First Land Office Opening, 1911
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
A group of men are waiting for the new land office to open on Bear Creek (Grande Prairie). From the Edmonton Bulletin, 1911, “the Grande Prairie Agency of the Dominion Lands opened here July 15. A.S. McLean, formerly assistant of the Edmonton Land Office is in charge.” James Lowe is on the extreme left in the front row -original homestead N. of Wembley, Scenic Heights on Edson Trail. Mr. Carveth Sr. is in the white hat in the second row.
Location: 0024.01.09.11
Opening Of Dominion Lands Office, Grande Prairie, 1911
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 X 6
Men lining up in front of the new land office, Grande Prairie, Alberta. One man is lying on the ground.
Location: 0024.01.09.12
First Post Office, Grande Prairie, 1911
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
A group picture with J.O. Patterson, postmaster who’s caboose housed the first post office in Grande Prairie. Wagons, a stove and other equipment is in the background. Left to right: Mrs. J.O. Patterson (Ella); Harry Robertson, J.O. Patterson, Mamie Moore (Mrs. Douglas), Luella Patterson (Mrs. Walter Roberts) with hat in background, Wes Bentley, Mrs. A. Patterson (mother), Charlie Patterson (brother), Alphaeus Patterson (father, MPP 1913-1917), and Anna Patterson (Mrs. Oatway, sister).
Location: 0024.01.09.13
Edson Mail Stage at Grande Prairie Post Office, 1912
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
Edson Mail Stage at Grande Prairie Post Office. The building was erected by Alphaesus Patterson the previous year as the first building on the future town site, housing the first bank, hotel, general store, and post office.
Location: 0024.01.09.14
Mail Stage and Buckskin Charlie, 1912 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
Buckskin Charlie driving the Mail Team across a river on the snowy Edson-Grande Prairie Trail.
Location: 0024.01.09.15
Ferry at the Big Smoky, 1912
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
Ferrying settler with horse and loaded wagon travel across the Big Smoky.
Location: 0024.01.09.16
Stuck in a mud hole on the Edson Trail, 1912
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 X 5
“A bad hole on the Edson Trail”. Taft’s Mail Stage is stuck in a mud hole on the Edson-Grande Prairie Trail. A group of horses are standing in front of the stuck team. Men are trying to free the wagon using logs.
Location: 0024.01.09.17
Man Camping Outside the Grouard Dominion Land Office, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
A man is camped on the wooden sidewalk outside the Dominion Land Office in Grouard waiting to file. The land office was located in Grouard first and later a land office opened in Grande Prairie.
Location: 0024.01.09.18
Laying the Cornerstone For the First Hospital, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 X 5
A crowd is watching the laying of the cornerstone at the Kathryn Prittie Hospital, the first hospital in Grande Prairie.
Location: 0024.01.09.19
Building the Railway Station, 1917
1 photograph; b & w;
Men are building Grande Prairie’s railway station, beside the town’s railroad tracks.
Location: 0024.01.09.20
Planing Lumber, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 X 5
Two men are planing lumber at Grande Prairie, Alberta. Large piles of lumber are stacked behind the men. The ground is partially covered by snow.
Location: 0024.01.09.21
Grain Farming near Bear Lake, 1913
1 postcard; b & w; 4 X 6
A post card photo of a horse drawn wagon full of grain with men working on top. They are grain farming close to Bear Lake. Threshing is done, 1913. The postcard was sent from Wm. To Mr. S. Noll, Almina, Wis., USA. The back reads “This is a picture of grain raised about 5 miles from my place -Regards from all – Wm.”
Location: 0024.01.09.22
Hamilton Threshing Outfit, 1914
1 photograph; b & w; 5 X 7
J. D. Hamilton Threshing outfit of several machines is at work.
Location: 0024.01.09.23
Third Annual Fair, Grande Prairie, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 7 X 9.5
Third Annual Fair scene, Grande Prairie, 1913. Various lengths of lumber are in the foreground. People, horses, wagons and displays are scattered across the picture.
Location: 0024.01.09.24
Going To Church In Bear Lake Country, 1913
1 photograph; b & w; 4 X 6
A family is off to Church by oxen team and wagon in the Bear Lake District. A whip is visible in the man’s hand.
Location: 0024.01.09.25
Main Street, Grande Prairie, 1914
1 photograph; b & w; 2 x 5.5
Grande Prairie Main Street on Nov. 4, 1914. The side with Selkirk Trading Co. and the pool room is shown.
Location: 0024.01.09.26
Grande Prairie Sports Day, 1914
1 photograph; b & w; 7 x 9.5
A large group of people is watching a man riding a bull. Several of the people are holding umbrellas.
Location: 0024.01.09.27
The Beaver Carrying Freight and Men To Enlist, 1915 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4.5
The Beaver river boat is carrying freight and men who are going to enlist. Three men are sitting on the bow of the boat, another is poling and the rest are standing on the boat.
Location: 0024.01.09.28
Bourassa Brothers Threshing, Fairview, 1915
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5.5
The Bourassa brothers are threshing, Fairview. A steam tractor, threshing machine and two wagons of hay are in the field.
Location: 0024.01.09.29
First Hospital in the Beaverlodge District, 1915 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4.5
Winter photograph of the first hospital in the Beaverlodge District.
Location: 0024.01.09.30
Grande Prairie Fire, 1916
1 postcard; b & w; 3 x 5
People are evacuating and moving items on to the street to keep them safe from a fire. Plumes of smoke appear to be coming from the building to the left of the City Pool Hall. A man in a R.C.M. P. uniform is also moving items. Note on the back of the postcard reads: From: Mrs. Mary E. Davidson, Sooke Road, Sooke B.C. formerly Clendenan -daughter of pioneers Thomas & Lila Clendenan of Bear Lake, Alta., who lived on Bear Lake from 1909-1923.
Location: 0024.01.09.31
Railroad Tracks, Sexsmith, 1916
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 x 5.5
Railroad tracks dominate the foreground. The buildings of Sexsmith are in the background.
Location: 0024.01.09.32
First Train, 1916
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 x 5.5
First train traveling on the Edmonton, Dunvegan & British Columbia railroad to Grande Prairie. Grassland is in the foreground and forest in the background.
Location: 0024.01.09.33
Edmonton, Dunvegan and British Columbia Railway Station, Grande Prairie, 1917
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 x 5.5
A horse team is pulling a loaded sleigh in front of the snow covered Grande Prairie Railway Station.
Location: 0024.01.09.34
Harness Racing, Grande Prairie, 1917
1 photograph; b & w; 2.5 x 4
A large crowd watches trotters pulling men on sulkies at a fair ground.
Location: 0024.01.09.35
Harness Racing, Lake Saskatoon Fair, 1916
1 photograph; b & w; 2.5 x 4
A crowd watches trotters pulling men on sulkies in a field.
Location: 0024.01.09.36
View of Grande Prairie, 1917
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 x 5.5
Winter view of Grande Prairie looking east from across Bear Creek.
Location: 0024.01.09.37
View of Grande Prairie, 1917
1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 13.5
Winter view of Grande Prairie looking east from across Bear Creek.
Location: 0024.01.09.38
Four Oxen Pulling a Binder, 1920 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 x 5.5
Close up of four oxen pulling a binder.
Location: 0024.01.09.39
Grande Prairie School, 1926
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4.5
Some snow, wood and building materials are in front of the Grande Prairie School. Buildings are in the background.
Location: 0024.01.09.40
Main Street, Grande Prairie, 1914 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 x 5.5
A photograph of main street Grande Prairie shows the Murray Hotel, other businesses and the sidewalk.
Location: 0024.01.09.41
Halfway House at Hythe, 1920 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 4.5 x 6.5
A man is standing by the front door of the Halfway House. Three men on horseback are nearby on the street. The halfway house has a false front and a balcony.
Location: 0024.01.09.42
Halfway House at Hythe, 1920 c.
; ;
A man and a woman standing on the balcony of the Halfway House at old Hythe.
Location: 0024.01.09.42a
Halfway House at Hythe, 1920 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 4.5 x 6.5
A man is standing in the entrance of a log building with large front windows, possibly the store, which is next to the Halfway House hotel.
Location: 0024.01.09.43
Sir Henry Thornton & Party, Hythe, 1920 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 4.5 x 6.5
Sir Henry Thornton and a crowd of people gather at the front of a log building with large front windows.
Location: 0024.01.09.44
Mail Plane Landing At Bear Lake, 1920
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 x 4.5
Two men are unloading mail bags from a float plane onto a small pier . CF-BKV is written near the tail.
Location: 0024.01.09.45
First Plane To Land In Grande Prairie, Pilot Wop May, 1920 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 x 5
Three men stand beside the bi-plane, two people are seated inside, and another man is seated on the top wing. Wop May was the first pilot to land in Grande Prairie.
Location: 0024.01.09.46
Early Grande Prairie Firemen, 1920 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 4.5 x 6.5
Nineteen municipal firefighters, with their chief and tools of their trade, posing in front of the new fire hall.
Location: 0024.01.09.47
Winter Carnival, 1924 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 2.5 x 4
A winter carnival float is passing a dentist’s office.
Location: 0024.01.09.48
Grande Prairie Stompede, 1927
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 x 5.5
Ira Gilmour is riding Paint at the Grande Prairie Stompede. The saddle blanket has an advertisement on it for Hoot Gibson’s show. Ira Gilmour’s address was 9635-109 Avenue.
Location: 0024.01.09.49
Flying Shot School Float, Sports Day, 1927
1 photograph; b & w; 3.5 x 5.5
Flying Shot School float won first and second prize at July 1 Sports Day. The driver is Whitney Fletcher, later of Goodfare.
Location: 0024.01.09.50
Man On Steps Of Country Store, 1930 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 4.5 x 6.5
A young man is sitting on the steps of a country store. Signs read “Alberta Government Telephones”, “Cash For Cream, Ship Your Cream To Grande Prairie Creamery”, “Listings Taken P. Batson Auctioneer” and “Ice Cold Coca Cola Sold Here”.
Location: 0024.01.09.51
Frank Donald’s Peacocks At Bell Fleming Hardware Store, 1937
1 photograph; b & w; 2.5 x 3
Frank Donald’s peacocks are standing near the snow. Bell Fleming Hardware is in the background.
Location: 0024.01.09.52
Rorem Homestead, n.d.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4.5
Two buildings on the Rorem homestead; the original house is on the left, and the newer building is on the right.
Location: 0024.01.09.53
Grande Prairie, 1914 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 4.5 x 6.5
The aerial view of one side of Main Street and Grande Prairie includes “Cochlin Hotel”, a confectionery, a café and a pool hall.
Location: 0024.01.09.54
Hamlet of Grande Prairie, 1912
1 photograph; b&w; 3.5×5 in.
Hamlet of Grande Prairie in 1912. Original photograph belonged to Chas. Stredulinsky.
Location: 0024.01.09.55
Grading the Streets, 1917
1 photograph; b&w; 3.5×5 in.
Grading the streets of Grande Prairie in May 1917. Looking east from the intersection of 102 street and Richmond Avenue.
Location: 0024.01.09.56
Selkirk Trading Company, [1915]
1 photograph; b&w; 2.5×4.5 in.
Group men in front of Selkirk Trading Company includes: Ike Nelson (young man at the door with white shirt and tie), Alex Wishart driving the team, Delmar Pratt sitting beside Mr. Wishart. (Could be Tom Paul in back of the wagon)
Location: 0024.01.09.57
Grande Prairie Creamery, 1920
1 photograph; b&w; 2.5×4.5 in.
building of Grande Prairie Creamery, with the ice house in the background. The creamery started operations in the fall of 1920.
Location: 0024.01.09.58
Break-up on the Simonette, [1920]
; ;
The Pool family children ca. 1920. Clarence was a director of the Valhalla Cremery. He and his wife, Minnie (Johnson) Pool had six children: Ralph, Mina, Clarence (Todd), Lee, Harold, and Yukola.
Location: 0024.01.10.01
Mrs. Alexander Forbes, 1909
1 photograph; b & w; 4 x 6 in.
Agnes Forbes, wife of Rev. Alexander Forbes, taken at Spirit River on their first trip to Grande Prairie in 1909. They established the first Protestant Church at Grande Prairie, on the banks of Bear Creek.
Location: 0024.01.10.02
Unidentified Photographs, [1900-1920]
16 photographs; b & w; 3 x 5 in.
Unidentified photographs from the Holroyd collection include 5 photos of an unidentified “end of steel” community, 4 of a new railway station, elevator and community; 4 of a man with his oxen pulling plow/cart (and horses with covered wagon), and 3 of unknown subject. Three individual photographs which are unidentified show an horse and cart in front of J.B. Oliver Furniture; a wagon being pulled by two oxen, and one driving a six horse team.
Location: 0024.01.11
Aerial of Grande Prairie, [1960]
1 negative; b & w; 2 x 2 in.
Aerial of Grande Prairie taken ca. 1960, with the Bear Creek Reservoir in the foreground.
Location: 0024.01.12
Richmond Avenue, [1970]
; ;
Street scene of Richmond Avenue showing the Met Store, B & B Western Wear, and Paquin Studios.
Location: 0024.01.13
Back to Table of Contents
Series 024.02Paquin Photographs. — 1958 – 1975. — 105 photographs.

Paquin Photographs was established in the early 50s by photographer Ron Paquin, who specialized in family portraits and special events. The business was bought out by Lyn Watson in 1975 and incorporated into the Watson’s group of photography businesses which includes Paquin’s Sprucewood Studio.

The sub-series consists of collections of 8″ x 10″ mostly b&w photographs of events in Grande Prairie between 1958 and 1975. These include the opening of the Grande Prairie Post Office in 1952, the flooding of Bear Creek in the late 50s, the City Charter coming to Grande Prairie in 1958, aerial views and landmarks in Grande Prairie as well as a County Fair parade c. 1960, and an Air Show, the new Vocational High School, and the opening of the Alberta Resources Railway (which are in colour) c. 1970.

 
Opening of the new Post Office, 1952
8 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
A crowd gathers at the official opening of the Grande Prairie Post Office, with Mayor George Repka officiating.
Location: 0024.02.01.01-07
Bear Creek Flood, 1955 c.
7 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
Bear Creek overflows into Grande Prairie.
Location: 0024.02.02.01-06
Opening of the Dunvegan Bridge, 1956 c.
4 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
Crowds attend the grand opening of the Dunvegan Bridge. One photograph shows an airplane flying over the bridge.
Location: 0024.02.02.07-10
City Charter Comes to Grande Prairie, 1958
9 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
Arrival of the City Charter into Grande Prairie in the winter of 1958. The charter was brought on horseback from Edmonton by Henry McCullough. Photographs include the Carnival Queen, sea cadets, Mayor Mackie, escorting outriders and the crowd.
Location: 0024.02.03.01-08
Grande Prairie Landmarks, 1960 c.
11 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
Grande Prairie Landmarks include the interior of the York Hotel, exterior of the City Hall, Mayor George Repka’s Office, interior of the bus depot, exterior of the Grande Prairie School District administration building, the ice throne for carnival, exterior of the Dobson Associates Medical Clinic and exterior of the North Star Oil Refinery at night.
Location: 0024.02.04.01-10
County Fair Parade, 1960 c.
16 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
County Fair Parade on 102 street and Richmond Ave. Participants include: horses, Erna’s Beauty Salon, Park Barber Shop, R.C.M.P., Safeway Majorettes, marching band, Dunes, Holroyd Drugs, Job’s Daughters, Diplomat Coal, Grande Prairie Hospital, Red Cross, Grande Prairie Swimming and Diving Club, and Jaycees & Jaycettes.
Location: 0024.02.05.01-15
Battle of the Bands, c. 1968
3 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
Battle of the Bands on stage set up at the intersection of Richmond Ave. and Clairmont Road.
Location: 0024.02.05.16-18
Aerial Views of Grande Prairie, 1968 c.
7 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
Aerial views of Grande Prairie, the Bear Creek reservoir, Grande Prairie Golf Club and the Rotary Campground site.
Location: 0024.02.06.01-06
Grande Prairie Vocational School, 1966 c.
13 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
Interior and exterior views of the Grande Prairie Vocational School include cafeteria; front entrance, front desk and gymnasium.
Location: 0024.02.07.01-12
Grande Prairie Air Show, 1968 c.
17 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
Aerial and land views of the Grande Prairie Airport during the Air Show include the large crowds, parking lot, airplanes, helicopter, parachutes, Royal Canadian Air Force Namao Trumpet and Drum Corps, Royal Canadian Air Force aircraft, pilots and a close up of F/O Bill Slaughter, Red Knight, in his cockpit.
Location: 0024.02.08.01-16
Opening of Alberta Resources Railway, 1969
13 photograph; colour; 8 x 10
Opening ceremonies for the Alberta Resources Railway from Grande Cache to Grande Prairie includes parade floats, R.C.M.P. marching band, Golden Spike ceremony and dignitaries.
Location: 0024.02.09.01-12
County Fair Parade, 1963
photographs; colour; 5 x 7 in.
Six photographs of the 1963 County Fair Parade in downtown Grande Prairie include floats from the Grande Prairie Municipal Hospital, Canadian Legion 54, UFA Co-op, the Grande Prairie Marching Band, the Alberta Wheat Pool, and horses with riders. Buildings in the background include the B/A Service Station, the 1/2 Way Motel, North Star Oil on 100 Street, and the St. Joe’s Business College on 102 Street.
Location: 0024.02.10.01-06
Back to Table of Contents
Series 024.03Lynn Holroyd Research Papers & Booklets. — 1990. — 1 cm of textual records.

The series consists of computer generated notes based on the Herald-Tribune records in Isabel Campbell’s collection at the Grande Prairie Public Library. The notes cover the activities of pharmacies in the south Peace, as reported in the Herald-Tribune from 1913-1949. They were gathered by Mr. Holroyd for the publication of “The History of Pharmacy in Alberta,” produced by the Alberta Pharmaceutical Association. Notes include pharmacy histories for Sexsmith, Lake Saskatoon, McLennan, Poplar Hill, Clairmont, Spirit River, Wembley, Falher, Beaverlodge, Rolla, Hythe and Grande Prairie.

 
12th Annual County Fair Prize List, 1962
Booklet
The entry listings and prizes for the 12th annual County Fair held in Grande Prairie
Location: 024.03.01
Place Names of Alberta, 1928
Booklet
A listing of all the names given to places in Alberta by 1928, including cities, towns, villages, post offices, municipal districts, railway stations, and many rivers, streams, lakes and moountains along with map locations.
Location: 024.03.02
Back to Table of Contents