John A.”Jack” Crerar came into the Peace Country over the Edson Trail in 1912 with his parents, Alexander and Sarah Crerar, his wife Ethel (Porteous) and two young children in 1912. They joined brother James “Jim” Crerar who had come in 1910, and welcomed brother Ed Crerar in 1913. Jack filed on NE 32-71-6-6. They farmed until 1917, when they moved into the Village of Grande Prairie so their children could attend the new Montrose School. In Grande Prairie, they set up Crerar’s Confectionary. They had 2 more children: Dorothy, who married Jack Penson from Grovedale and their youngest son, Doug Crerar, who was born in 1929.
Ed and Gertrude (Bowen) Crerar, after proving up their homestead, moved to Grande Prairie where Ed went into partnership in a barber shop with Walter Medlock. He returned to farming in 1944.
The material was donated by Charlie Penson, nephew of Doug Crerar, grandson of J. A. Crerar.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of four photographs and two documents. The photographs are of Jack Crerar in 1924 and Doug Crerar ca. 1940, Bear Creek Bridge ca. 1915, and a Winter Carnival ca. 1924. The documents are a program for the “First Annual Banquet of Grande Prairie Conservative Association at the Empire Hotel Monday, January 17, 1916”; and a program for the “Third Annual Peace River Musical Festival on May 25 and 26, 1927 at Grande Prairie Alberta.” There is also a legal sheet of paper containing a short history of the Alexander and Sarah Crerar family produced ca. 2000.
Related Records: Angie Crerar Oral History in fonds the South Peace Regional Archives Sound Recording collection (fonds 504).
Source of Historical notes: from the fonds and from “Pioneers of the Peace” published by Grande Prairie & District Old Timers’ Association, 1975
First Conservative Association Banquet Program, 1916
Program for the “First Annual Banquet of Grande Prairie Conservative Association at the Empire Hotel Monday, January 17, 1916”. Inside is the Banquet Menu and a Toast List with speakers such as Dr. A.O. Sproule, F.T. Balmer, W. Innes, Geo. E. Fraser, A.M. Bezanson, Dr. M.L. McDonald, P.J. Tooley, W.K. Patterson, W. English, C.W. Johnston, A. Patterson, MPP, F.M. Matheson, James Ramsey, F.L. Christie, G.W. Dryden, and Milo M. Oblinger.
Peace River Musical Festival Programme, 1927
Programme for the “Third Annual Peace River Musical Festival on May 25 and 26, 1927 at Grande Prairie Alberta.” It was attended by the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta, Dr. Wm. Egbert, and adjudicated by Mr. Cox and Mr. Eagleson from Edmonton. The program names the members of the committee, the official accompanists, the trophies (of which there are nine), the awards, and the competitions, test pieces and competitors. The winners of each competition are written in by hand, presumably by Mrs. J. A. Crerar. At the back of the programme is a list of “Patrons, Subscribers and Donors of Medals”.
John Alexander Crerar, 
1 photograph; b & w; 2 x 4 in.
John Alexander Crerar in front of Crerar Confectionary in Grande Prairie.
Doug Crerar and Donald Penson, 
1 photograph; b & w; 2 x 3 in.
Cousins Donald Penson (left) and Doug Crerar (right) on Crerar’s land (14 acres) about where Southview IGA is now. Donald was the son of Dorothy (Crerar) and Jack Penson.
Bear Creek Bridge, 
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5 in.
Postcard labeled “Bear Creek Grande Prairie”. The bridge in the photo appears to be the first government bridge on the trail from Grande Prairie to Flying Shot Lake. In the background can be seen a row of telegraph poles which mark the main road into Grande Prairie from the west (now 100th Avenue).
Winter Carnival, 
1 photograph; b & w; 2 x 4 in.
Large crowd of people on Richmond Avenue (100th) in front of Bell-Flemming Hardware and Grande Prairie Hotel. Event is identified on the back of the photograph as the Winter Carnival.