Grande Prairie City Band. — 1955-1964. — 1.5 cm of textual records.
The Grande Prairie City Band was formed after a group of sixteen individuals got together in May 1955. The executive consisted of Norman Dalen, President; Harold Lewis, Secretary-Treasurer; Pat Ellis and Bob Ross, Music and Equipment; Hans Frantzen, Attendance and Walter Kuttel, Bandmaster. Stan Hillman was the driving force behind the band and he inspired many people to take up an instrument. The band lead the parade down Richmond Ave. the following May 1956 and went on to perform in numerous events that year. The following year was a bit of a struggle with finances as well as the loss of their Bandmaster but the group saw it through and went on to make appearances at various activities and events in the peace region.
These records originated from Isabel Campbell’s reference files which were acquired from the Grande Prairie Public Library in 2013. These materials were part of a bequest by Isabel Campbell to the Library. The files were then donated to the archives in 2013.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of concert programs (1957-1964) and two annual reports from the Grande Prairie City Band (1961-1962).