Grande Prairie Herald-Tribune. — 1913-; 2018-2019. — 430 cm of textual records.
The Herald-Tribune newspaper ran its first edition August 17th, 1939 as an amalgamation between the Northern Tribune and the Grande Prairie Herald. The Herald had burned completely in July of 1938 and it made more economic sense to run only one weekly newspaper rather than invest in rebuilding the Herald. The owners of the Northern Tribune remained as owners: J.B. Yule, Jimmie & George Duncan and Arthur Jackson. Charles W. Frederick, owner of the Herald was in charge of advertising. About 1947, Gertrude Charters took over the paper and became the editor; and in 1950, the newspaper was purchased by Bowes Publishing House. The Herald Tribune became a twice weekly in 1955 and expanded again in 1962. In 1964, it officially became the Daily Herald-Tribune. The early 1980s was a time of change as the paper moved to computers instead of typewriters. In 1981, a second disastrous fire destroyed much of the DHT. Three men were charged with arson, and the newspaper was rebuilt. It expanded again in 1983. In 1990, Sun Media purchased Bowes Publishing and acquired the Daily Herald-Tribune in the process. Sun Media merged with Quebecor in 1998 (http://www.quebecor.com/en/content/history-sun).
Staff: William & James Bowes were co-editors until 1952 when James became the sole editor. In 1956 James English did a short four year stint, after which James Bowes returned as Editor/Publisher until 1966. The Publishers who followed were: Kenneth Kirkpatrick (1966-1967), Gerald A. Duncan (1967-1977), William R. Dempsey (1977-1980), Donald J. Sinclair (1980-1982), James L. Grasswick (1982-?). The Editors included Philip McLeod (1969-1970); Bill Scott (1970-?); and currently (as of 2015) Fred and Diana Rinne (http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/contact-us).
References: Alberta Newspapers, 1880-1982: An Historical Directory by Gloria Strathern
Grande Prairie: Capitol of the Peace by Isabell Campbell
Delivering 100 Years to the Peace Country (Daily Herald Tribune insert, 2013)
Newspaper Clippings file #334: Newspapers – Herald Tribune History
The Northern Tribune – June 30, 1932
The Herald- Tribune – Aug. 17, 1939
Grande Prairie Herald – March 25, 1913
These issues of the Grande Prairie Herald-Tribune were collected by Isabel Campbell and deposited at the Grande Prairie Public Library some time before her death in 1998. In 2015, the Grande Prairie Public Library passed the records on to the South Peace Regional Archives.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of issues of the Grande Prairie Herald-Tribune from January 5, 1939 to 1964, when the paper became a daily. From 1964 to 2005, there are only the front pages of each issue. There are no issues between 2005 to 2018.
Two accruals in 2019 and 2020 have added papers from July 2018 to November 2019.
In 1955-1956, the Herald-Tribune published a weekend magazine. These are filed separately with the smaller Grande Prairie papers.
Acquisiton note: Accession 2015.032
Related records: Digital copies of the Herald Tribune are available at www.ourfutureourpast.ca