Grande Prairie Herald. — 1913-1938. — 400 cm of textual records.
The Grande Prairie Herald was launched in March of 1913 by William C. Pratt, in a building on the corner of 101 St and 101 Ave. The printing press was so large that the building was built around it. Later the Herald moved to the corner of Clairmont Road (100 St) and 99 Ave. In 1915, Pratt leased the newspaper to V.H. and Milo M. Oblinger, while off to visit family following the death of his father. The next year, the paper was sold to Charles Kitchen and George Duncan. They continued as owners until 1927 when Charles Kitchen sold his half to Charles W. Frederick; George sold his half to Charles Frederick in 1930. J.B. Yule was Editor, but in 1932 he and two other Herald staff left to start the Northern Tribune, so Frank Rothwell became the new Editor. In 1938, the Herald, along with 90 other Alberta newspapers, received a Pulitzer Prize for their role is fighting the Alberta Social Credit Party’s “Muzzle the Press” Act. On July 25, 1939 an explosion and subsequent fire levelled the Herald. It was decided to amalgamate with the Northern Tribune to form the Herald-Tribune in August 1939.
These issues of the Grande Prairie Herald were collected by Isabel Campbell and deposited at the Grande Prairie Public Library some time before her death in 1998. In 2015, the Grande Prairie Public Library passed the records on to the South Peace Regional Archives.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of approximately 1250 issues of the Grande Prairie Herald from the first issue in March 25, 1913 to December 15, 1938
Acquisiton note: Accession 2015.032
Historical note: Information for the Agency History was taken from: Alberta Newspapers, 1880-1982: An Historical Directory by Gloria Strathern; Grande Prairie: Capitol of the Peace by Isabell Campbell; Delivering 100 Years to the Peace Country (Daily Herald Tribune insert, 2013); the William C. Pratt story in Pioneers of the Peace; the Isabel Campbell fonds Newspaper Clippings file #334.
Related records: Digital copies of the Grande Prairie Herald are available at www.ourfutureourpast.ca