Spirit River Echo. — 1920-1921. — 2 cm of textual records.
The Spirit River Echo was published at Spirit River Station and ran its first edition on Aug. 15, 1917. Publisher/Editors were: G.A. Poole from 1917 to April of 1918; G. Caruthers Findlay until the end of 1918 and F.H. Cramer from 1919 until 1921. The paper ran until April 8th, 1921 and abruptly ended. It is unknown why the paper stopped running, however by May 10th of 1921, the Grande Prairie Herald began reporting Spirit River area news.
These issues of the Spirit River Echo were collected by Isabel Campbell and deposited at the Grande Prairie Public Library some time before her death in 1998. In 2015, the Grande Prairie Public Library passed the records on to the South Peace Regional Archives.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of eight issues of the Spirit River Echo, from September 3, 1920 to April 25, 1921. The newspaper is 13 x 19 in. and 8 pages in length. The content consists of community announcements, news, and advertisements; world events; and items of general interest such as health, humour and agriculture. On the back page is a serial story. There are two copies of the April 25, 1921 paper, one with a handwritten note saying, “This is Exhibit A Lawlor vs. Cramer, Spirit River 5th April, 1921.” Signed P H Belchor, A Police Magistrate in the Province of Alberta.
Acquisiton note: Accession 2015.032
Other formats: Copies of the Spirit River Echo from 1917 to 1921 are available on microfilm from the Alberta Legislature Library.