The Post Newspaper fonds. — 1976-1977. — 10 cm of textual records.
The Post was established as the “Northern Review” at Waterhole, Alberta ca. 1923. It was owned by Charles Fredricks, who also owned the Peace River Record Gazette, and edited by W.F. Gardiner. When the community of Waterhole was moved to a new site at Fairview ca. 1928, the paper moved as well. It closed for a few years during the Great Depression, but was revived ca. 1940 and renamed the “Fairview Post”. In 1942, Fredricks sold the paper to Donald Boyce, who expanded the business with the purchase of the Grimshaw Voyageur and the Battle River Herald in 1954 and changed the name to “The Post”, as it now covered far beyond the Fairview area. It has continued to operate since that time. In 1975, Peter Schierbeck became the new owner.
The records were preserved by Anne Donaldson, who wrote a regular column in the Fairview Post, and donated to South Peace Regional Archives by her son, Greg Donaldson, in 2013.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of about 50 issues of The Post, a weekly newspaper, from July 1976 to June 1977. Although based in Fairview, on the north side of the Peace River, the paper includes news from the communities south of the Peace River between Watino and Spirit River. There are also regular columns written by community reporters: Rycroft Notes by Sandy Isaac, Blueberry Mountain by Arletta Hampton, Spirit River News by Rev. Charles King, Eaglesham News by Anne Donaldson, and Wanham News by Tara Foote. Community reports from north of the river include Bear Canyon, Berwyn, Bluesky, Cherry Point, Eureka River, Griffen Creek, Hines Creek, Whitelaw and Worsely.
The Post was published every Thursday at Fairview, Alberta, by Schierbeck Printing & Publishing. The Publisher was Peter Schierbeck and the Editor was T. Dale Roberts.
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Acquisition note: Accession no. 2013.026