Fonds 602 Northern Gateway Regional Division No. 10 fonds

Northern Gateway Regional Division No. 10. — 1986-2006. — 48 cm of textual records.

Back to Finding Aids

Custodial History

The records were acquired from Northern Gateway Regional Division No. 10 by the Onoway Museum and passed on to South Peace Regional Archives in 2014.

Scope and Content

The fonds consists of school registers for the following school districts: Crooked Creek Hutterite Colony School, Ridgevalley School District 3992, Sunset House School (Tarzan School District 4440), Twilight Hutterite Colony School, Valleyview Ranch Hutterite Colony School, and Valleyview School District 3992.

Notes

Access restrictions: Access to these records is governed by the FOIP Act.

Table of Contents

Series 602.01Crooked Creek Hutterite Colony School
Series 602.02Ridgevalley School District 3992
Series 602.03Sunset House School
Series 602.04Twilight Hutterite Colony School
Series 602.05Valleyview Ranch Hutterite Colony School
Series 602.06Valleyview School District 3992

 

Series 602.01Crooked Creek Hutterite Colony School. — 1986-1991. — 1 cm of textual records.Crooked Creek Hutterite Colony, aka Ridge Valley Hutterite Colony, was founded in 1977 as a division from the Spring Point Hutterite Colony. It is located about 10 km south of the Hamlet of Ridgevalley, north of the Simonette River. The colony has its own one-room school teaching grades 1-9. There are two other schools in the district, a K-12 public school in the Hamlet of Ridgevalley and a grade 1-9 Menonnite school just south of the Hamlet. This school was under the direction of the Northern Gateway Regional Division No. 10 until about 1991, when it became part of the Peace Wapiti School Division.The series consists of school registers for the Crooked Creek Hutterite Colony School for five years from 1986 to 1991.
Back to Table of Contents
Series 602.02Ridgevalley School District 3992. — 1987-1991. — 12 cm of textual records.Ridgevalley School District was formed in 1931 and school taught in a log school on NE 16-71-26-W5. A second log school was built on SW 23-71-26-W5. The first teacher was Gerhard de Veer, followed by Mary White. In 1937, a second classroom was added to the school. The school operated under its own board until the formation of the East Smoky School Division in 1945. In 1956, centralization increased the size of Ridgevalley School to a 6 room plant with an auditorium, library and administration area.The series consists of school registers for Valleyview School District 3992 in the East Smoky School Division for the years from 1987 to 1991.
Back to Table of Contents
Series 602.03Sunset House School. — 1986-2006. — 6 cm of textual records.Sunset House School (Tarzan School District 4440) was established in 1929, and a log school was built across from the Sunset House Post Office on the SE 6-71-20-W5. In 1955, St. Rosa School was consolidated to Sunset House and in 1958 a new two-roomed school was built across the road south on the NE 36-20-W5. Grades 1 to 12 were taught in the new school. In 1962, this school became part of the East Smoky School Division No. 54, and grades 7 to 12 were bussed to Valleyview, leaving only grades 1 to 6 at Sunset House. In the mid 90s it was transferred to the Northern Gateway Regional Division No. 10.The series consists of school registers for Sunset House School (Tarzan School District 4440) for the years from 1986 to 2006.
Back to Table of Contents
Series 602.04Twilight Hutterite Colony School. — 1987-1991. — 1 cm of textual records.Twilight Hutterite Colony was founded in 1986 as a division from the MacMillan Hutterite Colony. The colony school is located west of the Town of Falher, but many of the children are from farms in the Dorisville School District 4764 and Alpine School District 5444. The colony has its own one-room school teaching grades 1-9. This school is under the direction of the Northern Gateway Regional Division No. 10.The series consists of school registers for the Twilight Hutterite Colony School for four years from 1987 to 1991.
Back to Table of Contents
Series 602.05Valleyview Ranch Hutterite Colony School. — 1988-1991. — 1 cm of textual records.Valleyview Ranch Hutterite Colony was founded in 1971 as a division from the Thompson Hutterite Colony. It is locatedThe series consists of school registers for Valleyview Ranch Hutterite Colony School for three years from 1988 to 1991.
Back to Table of Contents
Series 602.06Valleyview School District 3992. — 1987-1991. — 15 cm of textual records.Valleyview School District 3992 was established as Calais School District in 1920 at Calais, Sturgeon Lake, but moved to the Hamlet of Valleyview in 1945 when a new two-roomed school was built. The name of the district was changed in 1951 from Calais to Sun Valley to avoid confusion with the Calais area west of town, and then to Valleyview in 1955 when the schools in the area consolidated to Valleyview.The series consists of school registers for Valleyview School District 3992 in the East Smoky School Division for the years from 1987 to 1991.
Back to Table of Contents