Fonds 440 Hermit Lake School History collection

fonds-440

Click Here To Order Photos

1916-1978. — 1 cm. — 20 photographs.


Back to Finding Aids

Agency History

Hermit Lake School District was formed in 1916 and an elected Board of Trustees began planning to build a school. Two acres of land in the south-east corner of Bill Grant’s farm were purchased at $.25 an acre. The school was built by William Sharp and finished in time for classes to start in March, 1917, with Mrs. Molly Sharp, Bill’s wife, as the first teacher. Some of the earliest families attending the school were the Jebbs, Cranstons, Kennedys, Fergusons, Aikens and Andersons. Teachers who taught at the school at its original location include Mrs. Sharp, Major Tawney, Miss Emmet, Miss Kerr, Miss Nettie Sharp, Miss Moffat, Miss E. Holmes, Miss Rea Chambers, Miss Lena Morden, and Miss Thelma Fisher. In 1928 the school was moved to a new location on the SE-5-72-7-W6. purchased from Fred Evans. School Board trustees included Bill Grant, Rollie Wood, Bill Mc Levin, Leo Ferguson, Alex Ross, Elmer Gillespie, and Ken Anderson Sr. In June, 1956, Hermit Lake School was closed and students transferred to Wembley, Lake Saskatoon, or Grande Prairie County School.

Custodial History

The records were donated to the South Peace Regional Archives by Ellen Craig, resident of the Hermit Lake District in 2010.

Scope and Content

The fonds consists of a Hermit Lake School history book researched by Grace (Wishart) Stewart, a former teacher, when the school was moved to the museum. It was compiled by Ellen Craig and contains history of the school and community, lists of families and teachers, photographs, stories from former students, documents, news clippings, school census records (1937-1955) and a history of its becoming the pioneer school of Grande Prairie’s Pioneer Museum in 1978.

Notes

 

Table of Contents

Series 440.01Hermit Lake School History Photographs
Series 440.01Hermit Lake School History Photographs. — 1939-1978. — 1 cm.. — 20 photographs.The series consists of the photographs contained in the Hermit Lake School history book researched by Grace (Wishart) Stewart, a former teacher. It was compiled by Ellen Craig and contains history of the school and community. Photos include school children (1935-1938), Hermit Lake Community Club (1939 -1940 c.) and a reunion of teachers and students after the School became part of the Grande Prairie Pioneer Museum (1977-1978).
 
Hermit Lake School Moves to Pioneer Museum, 1977
2 photograph; colour; 3 x 3
Hermit Lake School on skids ready for its trip to the Pioneer Museum in Grande Prairie, Sept. 1977.
Location: 0440.01.01-.02 
Hermit Lake School Now Part of Pioneer Museum, 1978
3 photographs; colour; 3 x 3
Hermit Lake School located in its new home at the Pioneer Museum in Grande Prairie. The two women in the photos are Grace Wishart (in the dress )and Kay (Ross) Dunlop. Hermit Lake School was Grace Wishart’s first school where she taught from 1936-1939.
Location: 0440.01.03-.05 
Students of Hermit Lake School, 1936 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4
Hermit Lake School students in front of their school. Inscription on the back, “Daddy can you fined me?”
Location: 0440.01.06 
Hermit Lake School Students, 1936 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4
Hermit Lake School students in front of their school. Students: Neil Madsen, Leland Campbell, Bruce McLevin, Mary Wood, Connie Campbell, Francis Ramsden, Charles Gillespie, Dorothy Dunfield, June Ramsden, Alice Wood, Grace Campbell, Olive Gillespie, Ivy Gilmour, Doreen & Barbara Gillespie. Grace Wishart, teacher.
Location: 0440.01.07 
A Group of Hermit Lake School Students, 1939 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4
Hermit Lake School students Mary Wood, Ivy Gilmour, Francis Ramsden, Bruce McLevin
Location: 0440.01.08 
Hermit Lake School Students Going Skating, 1938 c .
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4
Hermit Lake School students going skating: Olive Gillespie, Ivy Gilmour, Barbara Gillespie, Bruce McLevin, Doreen Gillespie.
Location: 0440.01.09 
Hermit Lake School at Pioneer Museum, 1978 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4
Hermit Lake School when it was established at the Pioneer Museum in Grande Prairie. Grace Wishart, teacher at the school from 1936-1939, stands in front.
Location: 0440.01.10 
Inside Original Hermit Lake School, 1936 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4
Hermit Lake School interior as it looked in its original setting.
Location: 0440.01.11 
Students Sitting Beside Hermit School, 1936 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4
Hermit Lake School students seated outside beside the corner of their school building: Doris Ward, Barbara Gillespie, Helen Hays, Anne Wood
Location: 0440.01.12 
Four Female Students at Hermit Lake School, 1939 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4
Four female students at Hermit Lake School: Olive Gillespie, June Ramsden, Dorothy Dunfield, Doreen Gillespie.
Location: 0440.01.13 
Leslie Toutant, 1939 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4
Leslie Toutant, student at Hermit Lake School
Location: 0440.01.14 
Hermit Lake Community Club at Cranston’s, 1939
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4
Hermit Lake Community Club at Cranston’s.
Location: 0440.01.15 
Hermit Lake Community Club, 1945 c.
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 4
Hermit Lake Community Club: L-R Mrs. A. Craig, Mrs. R. Wood, Mrs. A. Brown, Mrs. E. Gillespie, Mrs. D. Dunfield, Jean Prentiss, Violet Dryer, Willma Cranston, Mrs. M. McLevin, Mrs. Alex Ross, Rosemary Brown in front and baby brother with mother.
Location: 0440.01.16 
Hermit Lake School Tribute, 1978 c.
4 photograph; colour; 4 x 6
A reunion of former teachers and students of Hermit Lake School.
Location: 0440.01.17-20 
Back to Table of Contents