Grande Prairie’s Royal Purple #107 is part of a national women’s charitable organization that, along with their partner organization , The Elks, supports community needs and its national charity, Elks and Royal Purple Fund for Children. The club in Grande Prairie was organized in Oct., 1947 and received its charter on January 29, 1948. The officers are the Honored Royal Lady (lodge president), the Immediate Past Honored Royal Lady (past president), the Associate Royal Lady (first vice-president), Loyal Lady (second vice-president), Lecturing Lady (third vice-president), Secretary, Treasurer, Conductress, Chaplain, Inner Guard, Outer Guard, and Pianist. At the Initiation Ceremony, new members are escorted around the room and officers present each with four charges: Justice, Charity, Love and Fidelity, symbolized by their floral emblem, the purple pansy. The Draping of the Charter is a ceremony conducted in honor of a member who has died and involves actual draping of the original charter with a purple cloth. The pianist provides music which is key to all the drills and ceremonies.The group has supported many community projects over the years. They have held raffles, bake sales, catered events, disitributed Christmas hampers and worked concession booths at fairs and bingos in order to support community services such as CNIB, Cancer Society, Red Cross, Grace Children’s Home, Meals on Wheels, Peace School of Hope, the Grande Prairie Hospital and many other charitable causes.
By 1970, the lodge had a membership of 125. In 1972 they had three work teams: the Catering Committee, looking after 37 banquets that year; the Bingo Committee, in charge of the booth at Elks bingos; and the Sunshine Committee, which sent out 65 cards, 24 gifts, 26 bouquets and made 42 home visits and 35 hospital visits. The membership in 2007 is 61. Of the 26 charter members, three are still living: Pollyanna Kilgour, Thelma Crough, and Martha Tofer.
The records were donated to the South Peace Regional Archives in June 2005, by Marion Shofner on behalf of the Grande Prairie Royal Purple #107, and in May, 2006, by Sam Lowe from his wife’s mother’s collection.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of Royal Purple history records from 1947-1977, minutes from 1948-1982, financial records from 1973-1996, photographs from1950-1996, publications from 1955-1995, and newsclippings both loose and in a scrapbook from 1960-1996.
History Records. — 1947-1977. — 12 cm of textual records.The Royal Purple Historian’s duty was to keep in a notebook a concise record of each year’s events recording “for the valued use of Purpledom in general”. The account included a record of the Supreme Lodge Convention, place held, the Supreme Honored Lady, the number and names of delegates. Also recorded were all social events and money raising events, new members initiated, installation of officers, visits from other Lodges, babies born to members and deaths of members.The series consists of records of the group’s officers, members and activities such as initiations and tributes, fund raising activities and donation recipients. They worked together with their brother Elks in building and operating the Elks Hall. Many photos are contained within the history books.
Photographs. — 1969-1996. — 4 cm of textual records. — 136 photographs.The series consists of one photo album from 1947-1969, and loose photographs from 1950-1996, covering member iniatiations and installations, meetings, conventions, social activities and community service.
Pearl Coon, District Deputy, 1947 1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5 in. Pearl Coon, the District Deputy for Royal Purple in Northwestern Alberta in 1947-1948, came to the Rolla area with her husband in 1915 and lived in Rolla and Dawson Creek for most of her life. Location: 0273.04.01
Ann Howarth, Honored Royal Lady, 1948 1 photograph; b & w; 4 x 6 in. Ann Howarth, of Grande Prairie, was the Honored Royal Lady in charge of Grande Prairie Branch #107 of Royal Purple for the 1948-1949 year. Location: 0273.04.02
District Meeting, Grande Prairie, 1950 1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10 in. District Meeting of the Royal Purple in front of the old Elks Hall on 102 Avenue in Grande Prairie. Location: 0273.04.03
District Deputy Supreme Honored Lady Fox, 1962 1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 3 Lady Fox addressing a meeting Location: 0273.04.04
O.O.R.P. Grande Prairie Lodge #107, 1953 1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5 Grande Prairie Lodge #107 of the Royal Purple members and officers 1953-54. Location: 0273.04.04
Emma Mayer, Honoured Royal Lady, 1953 1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5 in. H.R.L. Emma Mayer at the podium in the old Elks Hall. Location: 0273.04.05
Pianist Lady Frantzen, 1953 1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5 in. Pianist Lady Frantzen of Grande Prairie Royal Purple Branch #107 at the piano in the old Elks Hall on 102 Avenue. Location: 0273.04.06a
Royal Purple Day, 1953 ; ; Location: 0273.04.06b
Royal Purple District Meeting, 1956 1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10 District Meeting of the Order of the Royal Purple in Grande Prairie, featuring the Honored Royal Ladies and the Past Honored Royal Ladies and the Drill Team. Location: 0273.04.07
Life Membership, 1958 1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7 in. Millie Frantzen receives her life membership certificate from Royal Purple, Grande Prairie Branch #107 in 1958. Location: 0273.04.08
Supreme Lodge Convention, 1958 1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 3 in. PSHonored Royal Lady M. Waite at the Supreme Lodge Convention in Winnipeg in 1958. Location: 0273.04.09
O.O.R.P. Donate to Grace Children’s Home, 1956 1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 3 Mrs.Houseworth receives documents from Grande Prairie Royal Purple representative awarding Grace Children’s Home a new clothes dryer. Location: 0273.04.10
O.O.R.P. Donate to Grace Children’s Home, 1959 1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 3 in. Residents at Grace Children’s Home examine the new clothes dryer donated by Royal Purple, Grande Prairie Branch #107. Location: 0273.04.11
Royal Purple Curling Team, 1962 1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 3 in. Curling Team representing Grande Prairie Branch of the Royal Purple includes Tim Crough and Evelyn Durda. Location: 0273.04.12
Presentation for Perfect Attendance, 1964 1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 3 in. Presentation of cups and saucers for perfect attendance in 1963-64. Location: 0273.04.13
Lady Hanson Installing Officers, 1965 1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 3 in. Lady Diana Hanson installing the officers in 1965. Location: 0273.04.14
The Traveling Gavel, 1967 1 photograph; colour; 3 x 3 in. Rycroft Lodge when they brought the gavel to Grande Prairie. Location: 0273.04.15
Grande Prairie O.O.R.P.Officers, 1968-69 1 photograph; colour; 3 x 5 in. Front Row: Betty Belford, Peggy Smith, Elvina Peterson, Sheila Meier, Ruby Konrad. Back Row: Rose Legace, Helene Stretch, Evelyn Durda, Barbara Childs, Anne Fortowsky, Kae Whitlock, Martha Sjerdal, Ethel Rutledge, Betty Wiens, Irene Martens Location: 0273.04.16
Installation of Officers, 1969 1 photograph; colour; 3 x 5 in. Elks Drill Team assisting with the installation of officers, Grande Prairie Royal Purple,1969. Location: 0273.04.17
Shopping Spree,  1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7 in. A popular fundraiser for the Grande Prairie Branch of the Royal Purple was the Shopping Spree. The winner of the raffle had a specified amount of time (e.g. 3 minutes) to race down the aisles and gather as much food as they could. Location: 0273.04.18
Royal Purple Officers, 1974 1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10 in. Royal Purple officers at the District Convention include (r to l): PSHRL Irene Francour, Daisy Labar, Amy Casins, Carol Reich, Diane Hanson and PSHRL Onagh Hoeght. Location: 0273.04.19
Speech & Hearing Month, 1974 1 photograph; b & w; 4 x 6 in. Mayor Jim May signs the proclamation for Speeh & Hearing Month in May 1975. Location: 0273.04.20
Poineer Lodge Donation, 1980 2 photographs; b & w; 4 x 6 Donation of an upright hair dryer to Pioneer Lodge. First photograph shows Royal Purple ladies Myrtle Webb, Florence Knox, Kae Whitlock and Elsie Lazruk with a resident of the lodge and a lodge employee. Second photograph shows Elsie Lazruk fixing the resident’s hair. Location: 0273.04.21a-b
Peace School of Hope, 1980 1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10 in. HRL Elsie Lazruk interacting with the children at the Peace School of Hope in June 1980. Location: 0273.04.22
Publications. — 1969-1996. — 1 cm of textual records.The series consists of publications including “A History of Purpledom in District 15, Alberta and British Columbia”, Lodge Directory 1966, and District and National Convention programs.