Fonds 192 Frank Kozar fonds

fonds-192

Click Here To Order Photos

[1900]-2005. — 94 cm of textual records. — 2,140 photographs.


Back to Finding Aids

Biographical Sketch

Frank Kozar was born August 30, 1929, in Kavanaugh, Alberta, to immigrant parents Franz and Anna Kozar. He was raised on a farm in the Sunnybrook district with his two younger sisters, Annie and Martha. Frank received his elementary education at Sunnybrook School starting grade 1 in 1936 at the height of the Depression, and faced learning English that first year. After a difficult beginning, he was inspired by a junior high teacher, Mr Smith, to take up the profession of teaching.

He started his career in 1948 as a Supervisor of correspondence lessons at Capbillion School, working on his own correspondence at night. At the same time he served as secretary for the Sunnybrook Local of the United Farmers of Alberta, which gave him the opportunity to attend the Department of Agriculture’s Farm Young People’s week at the University of Alberta. Here his intentions to study botany in university were shaped. As he could not afford the expense of a University Education, Frank completed his degrees through summer sessions, all the while teaching in the Strawberry School Division south-west of Edmonton. His first degree was a Bachelor of Education in 1956 and his final a Ph. D. in Cygenetics in 1969. After the completion of his Ph.D., Dr. Kozar moved to the Peace Country as Chairman of Liberal Studies at Grande Prairie Regional College. He went on from there to Grant MacEwan College and the University of Alberta as well as consulting for the Alberta Department of Education and being sessional instructor for King’s College. Frank married Dolores in 1958 and they had two children, Arlene and Roy. His consuming interests outside of family and career were working with Royal Canadian Army Cadets and photograph.

Frank passed away February 19, 2005 in Edmonton, aged 75.

Custodial History

The records were donated to South Peace Regional Archives by Frank Kozar in 2003-2005

Scope and Content

The fonds consists of Frank Kozar’s personal papers, including his memoirs and photographs and documents from the Kozar family, and some letters from young men overseas during WWII; educational records for Frank progressing from Elementary School to the University of Alberta; material relating to Frank’s career with the Strawberry School Division, Grande Prairie Regional College, Grant MacEwan College and the University of Alberta; general files regarding the Royal Canadian Army Cadets of Canada and specific files on the Cadet Corps Frank worked with over the years; and a large collection of slides and photographs from Frank’s hobby of photography. There is also a few miscellaneous paper artifacts preserved by Dr. Kozar over his lifetime, including a 1949 programme for the Farm Young People’s Conference in Edmonton; a 1955 Commencement program for Misericordia Hospital; and a 1957 booklet of the Constitution and By-Laws for the Ladies Auxiliary to the Canadian Legion.

Notes

Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Table of Contents

Series 192.01Personal papers
Series 192.02Education
Series 192.03Professional Career
Series 192.04Royal Canadian Army Cadets
Series 192.05Photography
Series 192.06Miscellaneous

 

Series 192.01Personal papers. — [1900]-2005. — 9 cm of textual records. — 88 photographs.Franz Josef Kozar emigrated to Canada from Jennersdorf, Austria, in 1927, with his wife, Anna Zinky Kozar, following in 1928. After working for a farmer for two years, the young couple took a homestead in the Sunnybrook district, where their three children—Frank, Annie and Martha—went to school. The activities of farm life (clearing and breaking land, seeding, and harvesting) along with all the household tasks required the efforts of the entire family through the early 1940s. At the same time, many young men were leaving the district for World War II and rationing was in effect. Sports and Christmas concerts were a pleasant distraction from the War. By spring 1944, the Kozars could afford to build a new house, and after the war life became easier. From this beginning, Frank Kozar went on to dedicate his life to excellence in education, the Royal Canadian Army Cadet movement, and his art of photography.The series consists of Frank Kozar’s Memoirs, From a Log Shack to the Halls of Academia; his professional and volunteer resumes; immigration documents belonging to Franz Kozar Sr. and Anna Zinky Kozar; unidentified photographs of Frank’s family, friends, and a school at which he taught; some World War II ration booklets and letters from friends in the service; and a collection of news clippings and articles about Dr. Kozar and other family members.
SubSeries 192.01.01Memoirs. — 2003-2005. — 2 cm of textual records.The sub-series consists of a printed copy of From a Log Shack to the Halls of Academia, the memoirs of Dr. Kozar which detail his childhood and teenage years. Incomplete at the time of his death, the memoirs end ca. 1950.
 
Dr. Frank Kozar, [1975]
1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 6 in.
Dr Kozar wa a biology and genetics instuctor at the Grande Prairie Regional College.
Location: 0192.01.01.01
Major Frank Kozar, [1980]
1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 6 in.
Dr Kozar was a major with the Royal Canadian Army Cadets
Location: 0192.01.01.02
Frank Kozar, Photographer, [1975]
1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 6 in.
Dr Kozar, shown here with his large format camera, was an avid photographer of landscapes and nature.
Location: 0192.01.01.03
SubSeries 192.01.02Resumes. — 1955. — 2 cm of textual records.The sub-series consists of Dr. Kozar’s professional resumes, a synopsis of his work with the Royal Canadian Army Cadets, biographical sketches detailing Frank’s work and volunteer history, and a duo-tang of documents and news clippings which summarize his career and activities.
SubSeries 192.01.03Kozar family documents. — 1923-1952. — 2 cm of textual records.The sub-series consists of a small German diary and cash book belonging to Josef Kozar titled Jennersdorf 1923 which includes a few immigration documents and postcards from 1927; a 1930 German book of Catholic religious readings belonging to Anna Kozar; Franz and Anna’s Immigration and Citizenship papers.
SubSeries 192.01.04Kozar family photographs. — [1900]-1973. — 25 photographs. — 38 negatives.The sub-series consists of 25 negatives and 25 photographs, a few of which overlap. The subjects are unidentified but thought to be of the Kozar family and the farm at Sunnybrook, Frank’s friends around the time of the second World War, and activities at Capbillion School, with Frank as the supervisor. There are also 5 slides of scenes of the farm, and 33 slides of a trip made to visit the Austrian birthplace of the Kozars in 1977.
 
Kozar Family Farm, [1940]
1 negative; b & w; 3 x 5 in.
Farmyard of the Kozar family in the Sunnybrook area near Thorsby, Alberta
Location: 0192.01.04.01
Kozar Family Farm, [1940]
1 negative; b & w; 3 x 5 in.
Working with horses on the Kozar family farm near Thorsby, Alberta
Location: 0192.01.04.02
Frank Kozar, Teacher, [1940]
1 photograph; b & w; 2 x 3 in.
Frank standing in the yard of Capbillion School where he was the supervisor
Location: 0192.01.04.03
Capbillion School Students, [1940]
1 photograph; b & w; 2 x 3 in.
Studens staning in front of Capbillion School.
Location: 0192.01.04.04
Capbillion School Students, [1940]
1 photograph; b & w; 2 x 3 in.
Capbillion School students playing ball in the school yard.
Location: 0192.01.04.05
SubSeries 192.01.05World War II documents. — [1940]-1949. — 1 cm of textual records.The sub series consists of 12 letters written by boys from the Sunnybrook area to Frank Kozar while they were in the army; one letter to Franz and Anna Kozar from the War Relief Committee in Jennersdorf, Austria in 1949; and 10 ration books designated to the five members of the Kozar family.
SubSeries 192.01.06News clippings. — [1970-1990]. — 2 cm of textual records.The sub series consists of news clippings, magazine articles and printed materials showing the activities of Frank Kozar and his children during this time period.
Back to Table of Contents
Series 192.02Education. — 1941-1969. — 2 cm of textual records. — 3 photographs.Frank did not learn English until he started school in 1936, at the height of the Depression. As a Junior, however, he was so inspired by his teacher, Mr Smith, that he decided to take up teaching as a profession. By grade seven, Frank was keenly interested in War news, learning the geography of the countries involved, the military leaders and continually updating maps to keep track of the advances of the allied forces. Language class included writing letters to the local boys overseas. In June, 1945, a few weeks after VE Day, Frank wrote his grade nine departmental exams and received his Intermediate School Diploma. He now had to face the prospect of ending his education in order to help his father who was in poor health, so Mr. Cyril Pyrch, Superintendent of the Correspondence Branch, persuaded him to take his high school through correspondence. In 1948, due to the lack of teachers for small schools, Frank took a position of Supervisor of correspondence lessons at Capbillion School, while still working on his own lessons at night. He finally completed Grade 12 at Thorsby High School in 1949-50, when he was 21 years old. Then, as a University education was too costly for Frank’s parents, Mr Pyrch suggested he get his “foot in the door” by enrolling in the Faculty of Education Temporary License Program at the University of Alberta with assistance from a bursary. This was a compressed one-year course that allowed graduates to teach for two years while upgrading in summer sessions. Thus, while teaching in various schools in central Alberta, Frank completed a Bachelor of Education in 1956, a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology in 1963, and a MSc in Genetics in 1967. From 1966-1969 he was a graduate professor at the University of Alberta, Department of Genetics, and completed a PhD in Cygenetics in 1969.The series consists of two sub-series: Frank’s educational records from Sunnybrook School and certificates and memorabilia from the University of Alberta.
SubSeries 192.02.01Sunny Brook School. — 1941-1950. — 1 cm of textual records.The sub series consists of report cards, artwork, a hand-made booklet on the History of Sunny Brook and a list of his classmates, a schoolboy’s scribbler with notes and rules of etiquette, 1945 Intermediate School Diploma, High School Diploma awarded in 1950. There is also a 1945 issue of The Correspondent produced by the Department of Education in Alberta with news about and contributions from teachers and students working with the Correspondence Branch throughout Alberta.
SubSeries 192.02.02University of Alberta. — 1950-1969. — 1 cm of textual records. — 3 photographs.The sub series consists of correspondence and certificates tracing Frank’s progress through his university degrees: a Temporary License after 8 months of University in 1951; Interim Professional Certificate in 1954; Permanent Professional Teaching Certificate in 1955; Doctorate of Philosophy in 1969, plus incidental university cards, statements, correspondence and news clippings. The photographs are a portrait of Frank in 1951, a self-portrait done in 1954 at a U of A Photo Directorate workshop, and a full-length photo of him in his grad gown with H.A. MacGregor when he received his MSc in 1967.
 
Frank Kozar, MSc, 1967
1 photogpraph; b & w; 3 x 4 in.
Frank in graduation cap and gown stands beside H. A. MacGregor.
Location: 0192.02.02.01
Back to Table of Contents
Series 192.03Professional Career. — 1951-1999. — 13 cm of textual records.Frank Kozar started his professional career as a Supervising Teacher at School in the Strawberry School Division in the County of Leduc from 1951-1966. He taught Grades 1-8 at Poplar Valley, Grades 1-9 at Fern Creek, Grades 6-9 at Rainier (as well as being the principal), and 7-12 at Thorsby, where he was the Guidance Councillor for the High School from 1957-1966. After completing his Doctorate in 1969, he spent one year as a Sessional Instructor at the University of Alberta, and in the fall of 1970 took a combined position at Grande Prairie Regional College as Chairman of the Liberal Education Division and Biology Instructor. In 1975 he added to this a Research Associate at the University of Lethbridge and was appointed to the University of Alberta Senate. After leaving Grande Prairie in 1980, Dr. Kozar became the Academic Services Coordinator at Grant McEwen College and a Test Development Specialist in Sciences for the Alberta Department of Agriculture. He also taught Botany and Microbiology at The King’s College and served on the Board of Governors of St. Joseph’s College and on the Teaching Awards Committee for the University of Alberta. After retiring from academic positions in 1985, Dr. Kozar continued to work at Labouratory until his death in 2005.The series consists of employment records, correspondence and paper artifacts regarding Frank’s career with the Strawberry School Division, Grande Prairie Regional College and the University of Alberta. Also included are his Masters and Doctoral Theses and published works in Biology and Botany.
SubSeries 192.03.01Strawberry School Division. — 1951-1997. — .5 cm of textual records.The sub series consists of pay stubs from Poplar Valley School in 1951, Inspector’s Reports while he was teaching at Fern Creek S.D. 4384 in 1952 and Rainier S.D. 2619 in 1953, a 1958 report for the Annual General Meeting of the Alberta Teachers Association, and Frank’s address on the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the founding of the Capbillion School District in 1997.
SubSeries 192.03.02Grande Prairie Regional College. — 1970-1979. — 2 cm of textual records.The sub series consists of correspondence regarding Dr. Kozar’s career while he was at GPRC, booklets produced for year-end ceremonies, several issues of “The Tapestry” during the 1970s, and two pay stubs from 1972 and 1974.
SubSeries 192.03.03Edmonton. — 1970-1979. — .5 cm of textual records.The sub series consists of a few printed materials showing Dr. Kozar’s career in Edmonton, at the U of A from 1970-1971, on the Board of St. Joseph’s College in 1980, Director of Academic Services at Grant McEwen College in the early 1980s, on the Board of the University of Alberta in the mid 1980s, and a member of the Senate of The University of Alberta from 1977-1983.
SubSeries 192.03.04Research and Published Works. — 1967-1981. — 10 cm of textual records.The sub series consists of Frank’s Master’s Thesis (Studies on the Development of Ustilago Hordei Pers. Lagerh.), his Doctoral Thesis (The Ultrastructure of Germinating Marcroconidia of Neurospora Crassa), and scholarly papers published by Frank during his career and published in Journals such as the Canadian Journal of Botany and scholarly journals from around the world; and magazines such as The Science Teacher and Science and Children: Guide to Collecting and Preserving Specimens for High School Biology (1969); Science and the Rural Disadvantaged (1969), Somatic Recombination of Ustilago Hordei (1969); Electron-Dense Structures in Neurospora Crassa (1969); The Pathway of Infection of Ustilago Hordei (1969); Mitotic Recombination in Biochemical Mutants of Ustilago Hordei (1969); Inexpensive “Riker” Mounts (1970); Ultrastructure Study of Sporidia of Ustilago Hordei (1971); Filamentous Mitochondria in Cyathus Bulleri (1973); Ultrastructure Study of Some Pollen Grains of Prairie Flowers (1973); Vegetative Nuclear Structures and Their Mode of Division in Cyathus Species (1974); Ultrastructure of Pollen of Opuntia Polyacantha (1974); Ultrastructure and Cytology of Pycnia, Aecia, and aeciospores of Gymnosporangium Clavipes (1975); Ultrastructure of the Dikaryotic Form of Cyathus Bulleri Brodie (1977); Studies on Hyphal Development and Appressorium Formation of Collectotrichum Graminicola (1978); Ultrastructure of Pollen of Coryphanta Vivipara (1979); and Effect of some Insecticides on Germination of Saskatoon Pollen (1981).
Back to Table of Contents
Series 192.04Royal Canadian Army Cadets. — 1957-2002. — 69 cm of textual records. — 458 photographs.The Royal Canadian Army Cadets were established in 1878 to encourage public interest in the Cadet movement and the services. Initially, they were funded by the Department of National Defense, but in 1971 that was replaced by the Army Cadet League of Canada. Each Cadet Corps is affiliated with a unit of the Canadian Forces, and may wear its badge or be supported by that unit. Dr. Kozar began his long association with the Royal Canadian Army Cadets in 1954, with 2508 No. 8 Independent Signals Cadet Corps at Thorsby, Alberta. He was then a civilian instructor in outdoor education. In May 1957, he was taken on as a Cadet Instructor in the Breton Corps, and in 1964 was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant. In 1959, Frank started as Second in Command at Thorsby, where he was teaching at the High School. He became their Commanding Officer in 1964, but left to attend Grad Studies at the University of Alberta in 1966. In the summer of 1967, Frank served as Second in Command in the mountain camp at Banff, and that fall he helped start the B Company PPCLI Cadet Corps, becoming the Commanding Officer when they officially became the Jasper Place Cadet Corps in 1968. During his time in Edmonton he also filled a substantial role as Assistant Captain in the 25 Field Squadron Royal Canadian Engineers. During the summer of 1970 he was Second in Command at the Rifle Coaches Course in Calgary, and he took the western team to the Connaught Ranges. After his career move to the Grande Prairie Regional College, in September 1970 Dr. Kozar began working with Grande Prairie Cadet Corps 2850. He became their Commanding Officer in 1971. Because of conflicting schedules, he was forced to resign as CO in 1974, but continued to help the corps in organizing schemes, working on the range, and acting as treasurer. He resumed much of the leadership of the group when his schedule permitted it and again became CO in 1977. From 1972 to 1985 Lt. Kozar was also involved with the development of the Canada-German Youth Exchange Program. Upon completion of this project he was appointed Commanding Officer for 2836 745 Communication Squadron, 180 20th Field Regiment Royal Canadian Artillery, and the 1809 Loyal Edmonton Regiment Cadet Corps. In 1994 he was appointed the Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel of 20th Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery. His decorations include Member of the Order of Military Merit, the Canadian Forces decoration with Clasps, and an Officer of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem. He was promoted to the rank of Honorary Colonel in the spring of 2002 and assumed the appointment of the Honorary Colonel of 20 Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery Sept 17, 2003.The series consists of documentation regarding Dr. Kozar’s career with the Royal Canadian Cadet Corps and files of documents and/or photographs of the following Cadet Corps: 2508 Thorsby, 2850 Grande Prairie, 2981 Strathcona, 2561 Breton, 2836 Jasper Place, 180 Royal Canadian Artillery, and 1809 Loyal Edmonton. There is also a series of files concerning the German-Canadian Youth Exchange Program from 1973-2002, a collection of slides on Cadet Activities, a collection of Insignia from Cadet Corps across Canada, material on the training program for Cadets and information regarding organizations associated with Cadets in Canada.
SubSeries 192.04.01Cadet Service and Awards. — 1957-2004. — 1 cm of textual records. — 1 photographs.The sub-series consists of correspondence, certificates and articles tracing Mr. Kozar’s career with the Royal Canadian Army Cadets from his Canadian Army Certificate of Military Qualification when he became a Civilian Instructor in 1957 until he became an Honorary Colonel in 2003. Also included is a portrait of Frank in his uniform.
SubSeries 192.04.022508 Thorsby Cadet Corps. — 1960-1970. — .5 cm of textual records. — 2 photographs.The sub series consists of correspondence between Mr. Kozar RCAC while he was employed by the Thorsby Cadet Corps, and a page from a Thorsby High School Yearbook ca. 1960 showing Mr. Kozar and the Cadets. There is also a programme from their annual inspection in May 15, 2000 with L Col Frank Kozar as the Reviewing Officer. The two photographs are of 2508 Thorsby Cadet Corps inside their drill hall in November 1964.
 
2508 Thosby Army Cadets, 1964
1 negative; b & w; 3 x 4 in.
Formal group photograph of 2508 Thorsby army cadets.
Location: 0192.04.02.01
SubSeries 192.04.032850 Grande Prairie Cadet Corps. — 1970-2000. — 2 cm of textual records. — 19 photographs.The sub series consists of information about 2850 Grande Prairie, a list of members, inspection reports, maps, correspondence, news clippings, and programmes of events such as the 1973 Remembrance Day Service and the 1976 inspection. The 19 photographs are black & white prints of the Air Cadets and the Army Cadets, both inside the drill hall and outside on exercises. There is also a photograph album from their annual inspection in May 31, 2000 with L Col Frank Kozar as the Reviewing Officer. 2850 Grande Prairie Cadet Corps was affiliated with The 49th Loyal Edmonton Regiment.
 
2850 Grande Prairie Cadet Corps, 1980
1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7 in.
Captain Kozar, 2850 Loyal Edmonton Regiment, with a group of Grande Prairie cadets enroute to Calgary to receive the Duke of Edinburough Awards
Location: 0192.04.03.01
Cadets Rifle Course, [1975]
1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7 in.
A Grande Prairie cadet demonstrates the proper method of aiming and shooting, skills learned at the Rifle Coaches Course in Wiinnipeg.
Location: 0192.04.03.02
Grande Prairie Cadets, 1979
1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7 in.
Roy Kozar, Terry Stashko, Ken Meyers and Doug Pederson take part in a training exercise.
Location: 0192.04.03.03
Grande Prairie Cadets, [1979]
1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7 in.
Food preparation at a cadet camp
Location: 0192.04.03.04
Loyal Edmonton Regiment 2850 Cadet Exercises, 1982
1 photograph; b & w; 4 x 6
Cadtets try out cross country skiing
Location: 0192.04.03.05
SubSeries 192.04.042981 Strathcona Cadet Corps. — 1981-1984. — 1 cm of textual records. — 7 photographs.The sub series consists of information about 2981 Strathcona, correspondence, news clippings, routine orders, annual reports, and programmes of events such as the 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1997 Annual Inspections. There is also a Change of command Certificate dated October 1, 1984 when Captain Kozar relinquished command of the corps. The photographs are black & white prints of the cadets and officers in the drill hall and of the 1983 AGM League Dinner.
 
Kozar Receives His Commission for 2981 Strathcona, 1982
1 photograph; b & w; 3 x 5 in.
Frank Kozar shaking hands as he receives his commission for the 2981 Strathcona Cadet Corps
Location: 0192.04.04.01
2981 Strathcona Cadet Corps, [1982]
1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7 in.
Cadets train on exercise bikes, part of their fitness program.
Location: 0192.04.04.02
SubSeries 192.04.052561 Breton Cadet Corps. — 1985-1988. — .5 cm of textual records. — 30 photographs.The sub series consists of 30 photographs of the Annual Inspection of 2561 Breton Cadet Corps ca. 1985 with Inspecting Officer Major B. Whitley, CO of 745 Edmonton Communications Squadron, and WO Andy Butts, ACI from ACO’s Office; and submissions for the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award for four members of 2561 Breton Cadet Corps in 1988. 2561 Breton Cadet Corps was affiliated with the 19th Alberta Dragoons. Mr. Kozar was 2nd in Command for the Breton Corps
SubSeries 192.04.062836 Japsper Place Cadet Corps. — 1986-1991. — 2 cm of textual records. — 40 photographs.The sub series consists of information about 2836 Jasper Cadet Corps; a list of members in the mid 80s, a completed application form and expectations of a cadet, annual reports, correspondence, news clippings, Attendance and Pay Registers for 1991,and programmes for events such as a 1986 Mess Dinner, and for the Annual Inspection Parades for 1987-1991. Also included are four registrations and record books from members of 2561 Breton Cadet Corps who received the Duke of Edinburgh Award under 2836 Jasper Place Cadet Corps in 1988, and some personal letters to Mr. Kozar from members of his corps after they had moved on to other places. The photographs consist of 6 black & white prints of corps inside the drill hall, 18 colour photographs of a 1987 outdoor exercise and 16 colour photographs of the Change of Command Parade when Capt. Robert Bowman replaced Capt. Kozar in 1991. 2836 Jasper Place Cadet Corps was affiliated with 745 (Edmonton) Communications Squadron Cadet Corps.
SubSeries 192.04.07180 Royal Canadian Artillery Cadet Corps. — 1991-1998. — 1 cm of textual records.The sub series consists of information about 180 RCACC, lists of members in 1991 and 1994, a blank application form and expectations of cadets, correspondence, and Change of Command Forms for Kozar, Colbeck and Parsonage. Also included is the March 1998 issue of Quadrant, the newsletter of The Royal Canadian Artillery, in which the history of 180 RCACC was published. 180 RCACC was affiliated with 20 Field Regiment Royal Canadian Artillery.
SubSeries 192.04.081809 Loyal Edmonton Cadet Corps. — 1992-1994. — 1 cm of textual records.The sub series consists of information about 1809 Edmonton, lists of members in 1992 and 1993, correspondence, annual reports, and programmes for events such as Annual Inspections. There is also a Change of Command Certificate dated March 1, 1994 when Captain Kozar relinquished command to Captain A.B. Gaetz. 1809 Edmonton Cadet Corps was affiliated with the Loyal Edmonton Regiment.
SubSeries 192.04.09German Canadian Youth Exchange. — 1973-2002. — 12 cm of textual records. — 46 photographs.Frank Kozar was heavily involved with the organization of a Canadian-German Youth Exchange, initiated in 1973. The training plan was written by Major (retired) Jim Devaney, general manager of the Army Cadet League of Canada, but much of the Basic Indoctrination and German Language Course used to train the students was written by Dr. Kozar. The 12 day course includes a history of Germany, its geography, and a discussion of its people, education and government since 1949. The aim of the course was to provide candidates for the exchange visit with sufficient information and background knowledge about the federal republic so their visit would be profitable and educational. The program involved training about 20 Alberta Master Cadets at Borden, Ontario for a visit to Germany during July and August. They were guests of the German Life Saving Society and German Sports Youth on alternate years. In turn, 20 young people from the German organizations hosting them would come to Canada as guests of the cadet school at Borden where they engage in sailing, canoeing, hiking, camping and visiting Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Kingston. The Canadian students were billeted in German homes.The sub series consists of materials, in both French and English, used for a course titled “Royal Canadian Army Cadets Canadian-German Youth Exchange: Basic Indoctrination and German Language Course” which was written in part by Dr. Kozar; and files from 1976 to 2002 containing itineries, teaching materials, correspondence, photographs and newsclippings detailing the visits made by German Youth in Canada and Canadian Youth in Germany.
SubSeries 192.04.10Cadet Correspondence. — 1957-1999. — 2 cm of textual records.The sub series consists of personal correspondence between Dr. Kozar and various government departments regarding Cadet assignments, programs and expenses.
SubSeries 192.04.11Cadet Training. — 1958-1999. — 16 cm of textual records.The sub series consists of files containing photographs, information and correspondence on the National Army Cadet Training School at Banff, the Dominion of Canada Rifle Association, the Summer Training School in Borden, Ontario, the Vernon Army Cadet Training Camp. There is also a Policy Manual and material regarding the Cadet Instructors’ List, a file on Cadet Training for Credit in High School, and general cadet training materials.
 
Banff Glacier Training, 1985
1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10 in.
While attending National Army Cadet Camp, Banff, cadets set up camp in order to start a five day glacier training course in Yoho National Park.
Location: 0192.04.11.01
Banff Cadet Training School, 1985
1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7 in.
Cadets on the fifth day of watermanship training, Kootenay River, B.
Location: 0192.04.11.02
Banff Cadet Training School, 1985
1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7 in.
Cadets atop 11,300 ft. Mount Athabaska, a five day glacier trip.
Location: 0192.04.11.03
Banff Cadet Training School Band, 1985
1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7 in.
Members of the cadet band performing at the cadet training school.
Location: 0192.04.11.04
The Duke of Edinburgh Reviews the Troop, 1985
1 photograph; b & w; 5 x 7 in.
At the Banff Cadet Training school, the Duke of Edinburgh reviews the troops.during the Banner Presentation in 1985.
Location: 0192.04.11.05
SubSeries 192.04.12Cadet Slide Collection. — 1978-1994. — .5 cm of textual records. — 313 negatives.The sub series consists of the Grande Prairie Cadets in 1978-1980; the German-Canadian Exchange Program ca. 1978-1988; the National Training School in Banff in 1979; a Parachute Course and the Strathcona Cadets in 1981; Camp Borden Training Camp in 1981-1982; the Breteon Cadet Corps in 1982; a Banner Presentation by Prince Philip in 1985; and a slide presentation designed to recruit youth into the Army Cadet Program, called Youth In Step, prepared in 1992-1994.
SubSeries 192.04.13Cadet Insignia collection. — n.d.. — 8 cm of textual records.The sub series consists of a collection of approximately 300 cloth insignia badges from across Canada for Cadet Regiments, Armoured and Infantry, Cadet Service Badges and General Cadet Badges.
SubSeries 192.04.14RCAC Miscellaneous. — 1970-2001. — 6 cm of textual records.The sub series consists of a file containing speeches and papers written by Frank Kozar during his association with the Royal Canadian Army Cadets, a file containing certificates and describing awards given out in the Army Cadet Program, and a file of Promotional Literature designed to attract teen-agers into the Cadet Program.
SubSeries 192.04.15Associated Organizations. — 1970-2004. — 16 cm of textual records.The sub series consists of files of correspondence, circulars and information on organizations associated with both Frank Kozar as he worked with the Cadets, and with the Royal Canadian Army Cadets in General: Canadian Forces Station Trumpeter at Beaverlodge; the Royal Canadian Legion; the Order of St. John; the Land Force Western Area Advisory Group; the Cadet Services of Canada; the Cadet Services of Canada, Alberta Branch; the Army Cadet League of Canada; and the Army Cadet League of Alberta. The Royal Canadian Legion file contains an album of photographs, paper artifacts and news clippings detailing the activities of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 54 from 1979-1980. It was created by Gus Cooper and given to Frank Kozar before he passed away in 1999. There is also a copy of the Twenty-ninth Biennial Convention, 1975 program which includes pages inserted with original photographs, 2 copies of “Legion” from 1986 and 2004, and 4 copies of “The Legionary” from 1965-1967.
Back to Table of Contents
Series 192.05Photography. — [1950-1990]. — 5 cm of textual records. — 1,591 photographs.Frank Kozar was introduced to the hobby of photography in the 1940s when he was given an old box camera. As a child walking back and forth to his Country School, he had had ample opportunity to observe nature and landscapes, and it was these scenes which he loved to record. Whatever he did, his photography provided an added dimension, whether it was taking biological slides to accompany his research, photographs of students he taught at GPRC or in Cadets, landscapes of the country as he traveled from place to place, or photographs of the family as they gathered. His interests appeared to be primarily landscapes, science and macro photography, but he also enjoyed doing portraits and events. While he was an instructor at Grande Prairie Regional College he also taught Photography and it was at his home that the Peace Region Photographer’s Association was formed in 1976. In 1977 the Prairie Art Gallery featured 50 of his landscapes in an Art Show, and his photographs have appeared in many publications over the years. Dr. Kozar was the first photographer to be elected to the Alberta Society of Artists.The series consists of a file of correspondence and printed material detailing Frank’s activities as a photographer and several photographic sub-series: 2” slides, dating from 1955 to 1978, covering family, landscapes and historical photographs; a large collection of 35 mm slides in alphabetical order; a series of portraits called Pioneers of the Peace; photographs of staff, students, buildings and events at Grande Prairie Regional College; and a small collection of miscellaneous photographs of events in and around Grande Prairie in the 1970s.
SubSeries 192.05.012″ Slide collection. — [1950-1980]. — 73 negatives.The sub-series consists of a series of 2 ¼ slides arranged in order of subject: Alberta, Family, Fall, Jasper, Summer, Churches, and Winter.
 
Banff National Park, 1950-1978
25 slides; colour; 2 x 2 in.
Scenic slides of the town of Banff and surrounding area, including Bow Falls, Bow River, Johnson Canyon and Vermillion Lakes.
Location: 0192.05.01.0001-024
Military, British Columbia, 1962
6 slides; colour; 2 x 2 in.
Images include Hilton Zutz on HMS Belfast, Esquimault Harbour, Royal Roads, and a view of the Pacific Rim from Naden.
Location: 0192.05.01.0025-030
Our Lady of Victory Church, 1955
1 slide; colour; 2 x 2 in.
Our Lady of Victory Roman Catholic Church in Thorsby Alberta, photographed in September 1955.
Location: 0192.05.01.0031
Anglican Church, Saskatoon Lake, 1977
1 slide; colour; 2 x 2 in.
Anglican Church at Saskatoon Lake, photographed in September 1977.
Location: 0192.05.01.0032
Kozar Family and Friends, 1955-1978
21 slides; colour; 2 x 2 in.
Informal portraits of the Kozar family and photographs with friends taken between 1995-1978.
Location: 0192.05.01.0033-053
Autumn Scenes, 1956-1979
10 slides; colour; 2 x 2 in.
Fall photographs of the Kozar family farm in Sunnybrook, Rockford Bridge, Thorsby Main Street and Kakwa Falls between 1956-1979.
Location: 0192.05.01.0054-63
Maligne Lake, 1978
2 slides; colour; 2 x 2 in.
Maligne Lake, near Jasper Alberta, photographed in August 1978.
Location: 0192.05.01.0064-65
Summer Scenes, 1955-1978
3 slides; colour; 2 x 2 in.
Summer scenery including Pigeon Lake, irises in bloom and a Peace Region pump on a deserted farmstead, photographed between 1955-1978.
Location: 0192.05.01.0066-068
Winter Scenes, 1955-1978
4 slides; colour; 2 x 2 in.
Winter scenery including a hay rake, an oil rig at Beaverlodge and a row of red granaries photographed between 1955-1978.
Location: 0192.05.01.0069-073
SubSeries 192.05.0235 mm Slide collection. — [1955-1990]. — 1,153 negatives.The sub-series consists of slides arranged in order of subject: Aircraft, Alberta, Animals, Ballooning, Banff, British Columbia, Boats, Botany, Camouflage, Cat, Christmas, Clouds, Coal, Churches, Deserts, Diseases (Plant), Ecology, Edmonton, Elevators, Fall, Falls, Farming, Fire, Geology, Grande Prairie, GPRC, Grant MacEwan College, Historical Buildings & Markers, Insects, Lethbridge, Lumber, Oil, Ontario, People, Pollution, Patterns, Quebec, Reflections, Ukranian, Spring, Statues, Summer, Sunrise/Sunset, War Memorials, Winter.
 
Grande Prairie Airshow, 1978
22 slides; colour; 35 mm
Images from the Grande Prairie Air Show, May 4, 1978 including photos of the Snowbirds, a Paradrop sequence, Hercules, Silverstar, Argus antisubmarine, Tracker Maritime Patrol, Voodoo, Convair, Shorts Time Air, flying boat and Canso aircraft.
Location: 0192.05.02.0001-022
Aircraft Images, 1963-1985
16 slides; colour; 35 mm
Images of various types of aircraft taken across Canada.
Location: 0192.05.02.0023-38
Alberta Central, [1955]-1975
45 slides; colour; 35 mm
Landscapes from the Central Alberta region incuding the Kozar farm.
Location: 0192.05.02.0039-83
Alberta Peace Region, 1973-1986
43 slides; colour; 35 mm
Peace Country communities and landscapes.
Location: 0192.05.02.0084-126
Southern Alberta, 1958-1986
49 slides; colour; 35 mm
A variety of images representing communities and landscapes in Southern Alberta.
Location: 0192.05.02.0127-175
Animals; Reptiles, 1980-1986
5 slides; colour; 35 mm
Images of Alberta reptiles, including snakes and a turtle.
Location: 0192.05.02.0176-180
Animals; Rodents, 1979-1985
9 slides; colour; 35 mm
Images of rodents, including squirrel, chipmunk and muskrat.
Location: 0192.05.02.0181-189
Animals; Ungulates, 1957-1986
32 slides; colour; 35 mm
Ungulates of Alberta including images of mountain sheep, deer, bison, elk and caribou.
Location: 0192.05.02.0190-221
Animals; Carnivores, 1960-1970
2 slides; colour; 35 mm
Carnivores of Alberta including images of weasel and marten.
Location: 0192.05.02.0222-223
Hot Air Ballooning, 1983-1986
9 slides; colour; 35 mm
Hot air balloons and views over Edmonton area.
Location: 0192.05.02.0224-232
Banff, 1957-1983
34 slides; colour; 35 mm
Scenic views of Banff including the town and surrounding landscapes. Photos of German Exchange students (Cadets) hiking and camping in 1980.
Location: 0192.05.02.0233-266
British Columbia, 1957-1986
16 slides; colour; 35 mm
British Columbia scenics including Vancouver, Radium, Vernon, Cadet Camp at Kalamalka Lake and Expo 86.
Location: 0192.05.02.0267-282
Boats, 1960-1983
9 slides; colour; 35 mm
Canoe, kayak, windsurfer and sailboat images photographed in Alberta (Bow River, Elk Island, Lake Waubauman, Lac La Biche and Pigeon Lake). One image of sailing during a German Exchange with cadets.
Location: 0192.05.02.0283-291
Botany; Compositae Asters, 1958-1983
57 slides; colour; 35 mm
A variety of slides showing plants in the family Compositae Asters.
Location: 0192.05.02.0292-348
Botany; Family Convoluvlaceae, 1980
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Image of a wild Morning Glory from the family Convoluvlaceae (convoluvlaceae arvensis).
Location: 0192.05.02.0349
Botany; Family Cornaceae, 1973-1983
10 slides; colour; 35 mm
Plant images from the Dogwood Family (Cornaceae).
Location: 0192.05.02.0350-359
Botany; Family Cyperaceae, 1975
2 slides; colour; 35 mm
Plant images from the Sedge Family (Cyperaceae).
Location: 0192.05.02.0360-361
Botany; Family Cucurbitaceac, 1979-1980
2 slides; colour; 35 mm
Slides showing pumpkin and squash from the Family Cucurbitaceac.
Location: 0192.05.02.0362-363
Botany; Family Cupressaceae, 1975-1980
2 slides; colour; 35 mm
Slides showing juniper bush and berries from the Family Cupressaceae.
Location: 0192.05.02.0364-365
Botany; Family Cruciferae, 1977-1979
2 slides; colour; 35 mm
Slides showing shepherds purse and stinkweed from the Family Cruciferae.
Location: 0192.05.02.0366-367
Camouflage, 1961-1980
10 slides; colour; 35 mm
Images of a variety of animals, birds and insects camouflaged in their natural environment.
Location: 0192.05.02.0368-377
Cat, [1970]-1986
2 slides; colour; 35 mm
Images of the Kozar family cat, Ralphie, and a cat silhouhette photographed in Beaverlodge.
Location: 0192.05.02.0378-379
Christmas, 1980-1986
3 slides; colour; 35 mm
Images of “Candy Lane”, an outdoor Christmas display.
Location: 0192.05.02.0380-382
Clouds, 1975-1990
23 slides; colour; 35 mm
Images of a variety of cloud formations.
Location: 0192.05.02.0383-405
Coal, c. 1985
5 slides; colour; 35 mm
Coal mining operations at the Wabauman Power Plant and the Sheerness Plant.
Location: 0192.05.02.0406-410
Glen Leslie Church, 1975
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Glen Leslie Presbyterian Church east of Grande Prairie.
Location: 0192.05.02.0411
Churches, 1970-1990
79 slides; colour; 35 mm
Images of churches in the Alberta communities of Barrhead, Bassano, Bassilian, Calmar, Evansburg, Devon, Drayton Valley, Dunvegan, Hines Creek, Jasper, Lac La Biche, Manly, Medicine Hat, Mundare, Nisku, Red Deer, Peace River, Rockfort Bridge, Smoky Lake, Thorsby, Vegreville and Wabaman as well as many from the South Peace River Country. Also included is an image of the marker for Frank’s grandfather’s grave at Holy Cross cemetery and the chapel and original exterior of St. John’s School built in Edmonton.
Location: 0192.05.02.0411-489
St. Stanislaw Catholic Church, 1977
3 slides; colour; 35 mm
St. Stanislaus Roman Catholic Church was built under the leadership of Father John Hague about 1940. It was located in the North Kleskun District, east of Sexsmith.
Location: 0192.05.02.0413-14, 449
St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, 1977
1 slides; colour; 35 mm
St. Stephen’s Anglican Church was built in the North Kleskun district east of Sexsmith in 1939 on land donated by Charles Shand on NW 33-73-4-W6.
Location: 0192.05.02.0415
Teepee Creek United Church, 1977
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Teepee Creek United Church was built in 1929 and services held there by ministers from the Sexsmith United until 1970, when it was closed.
Location: 0192.05.02.0416
St. Paul’s Anglican Church, 1979
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
St. Paul’s Anglican Church at Goodwin, just east of the Smoky River on Highway 43, was built in 1937-38 along with a church rectory. Later a cemetery was added behind the church.
Location: 0192.05.02.0418, 435, 463
Bezanson Catholic Church, 1979
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church was built in 1947 four miles west of the hamlet of Bezanson on Highway 43. It replaced an earlier church built in the early 1920s and located three miles south and 1 mile west. This church was moved to Kleskun Hill Park ca. 2000, when the highway was twinned.
Location: 0192.05.02.0419
Crooked Creek Catholic Church, 1979
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Crooked Creek Catholic Church was under the care of the missionary-priests from Calais-Sturgeon Lake. It was built in 1940-41 and formally blessed in 1946 under the name of “The Holy Rosary Parish of DeBolt and Crooked Creek.”
Location: 0192.05.02.0422
St. Francis Xavier Mission Church and Cemetery, 1979
3 slides; colour; 35 mm
St. Francis Xavier Mission Church and cemetery was located on the east shore of Sturgeon Lake. It was built in 1915 by the Catholic order, the Oblates, as part of a mission school and hospital established in 1907.
Location: 0192.05.02.0423-25
Halcourt United Church, 1979
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Halcourt United Church was originally built as Halcourt Methodist in 1912 and housed the first Halcourt School. Later an addition was added to the church, and in 1926 it became the Halcourt United Church when Methodists, Presbyterians and Congregationalists joined together to form the United Church.
Location: 0192.05.02.0426
Bear Creek Cemetery, c. 1980
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Bear Creek Cemetery, located in the sandy dunes north of the creek, was used during the winter of the 1918-1919 Spanish influenza epidemic, when the ground at the municipal cemetery was too difficult to excavate.
Location: 0192.05.02.0428
Northmark Lutheran Church and Cemetery, c. 1980
2 slides; colour; 35 mm
Northmark Lutheran Church, built in 1945, served a congregation of German Lutherans who settled in the Northmark area in 1928. It replaced an earlier log church built in 1933 beside the cemetery on the banks of the Burnt River, N.W. 13-76-7-6.
Location: 0192.05.02.0429-430
Woking Greek Orthodox Church, 1979
2 slides; colour; 35 mm
The Woking Greek Orthodox Church was completed in 1951 and registered under the name Holy Trinity Russian Greek Orthodox Church.
Location: 0192.05.02.0431-432
Valhalla Lutheran Church, 1980
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Valhalla Lutheran Church was built by Halvor Ronning’s Norwegian settlement group in 1926. A church bell was added to the steeple in 1930.
Location: 0192.05.02.0440
La Glace Lutheran Church, 1980
2 slides; colour; 35 mm
Calvary Lutheran Church was established in LaGlace in 1961. The building was originally the Northfield Lutheran Church built in 1927 and located adjacent to Northfield School.
Location: 0192.05.02.0441-442
Grovedale Baptist Church, 1980
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Grovedale Baptist Church was started south of the Wapiti River in 1970. The building, originally the Ski Club Chalet, was moved from the bottom of the Wapiti Hill to 1.5 miles north of the Grovedale Store in 1971.
Location: 0192.05.02.0443
Emmaus Lutheran Church, 1980
2 slides; colour; 35 mm
Emmaus Lutheran Church was built in the North Kleskun district in 1930 to serve the German Lutheran families in the area east of Sexsmith. A Christian Day School was held in the church from 1932-1944.
Location: 0192.05.02.0447-448
Fox Creek Church, 1980
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Our Lady of Czestochowa Catholic Church in the district of Fox Creek, east of Rycroft, was built by Father Michalowski and his Polish congregation in 1948. It was used until the early 1970s, and the cemetery beside the church is still in use as a community cemetery.
Location: 0192.05.02.0450
Christ Church Anglican, 1980
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Christ Church Anglican in Grande Prairie was built in 1934 on the corner of 102 Street and 99 Avenue. It replaced an earlier church of similar construction built in 1914.
Location: 0192.05.02.0455
Grande Prairie United Church, 1980
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Grande Prairie United Church, a very modern structure when it was built in 1957, was the third church on that site. The Christian education building, at the back of the site, was built in 1951.
Location: 0192.05.02.0458
St. Mary’s Ukranian Catholic Church, 1980
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
St. Mary’s Ukranian Greek Catholic Church in Grande Prairie was organized in 1958. This church was completed by volunteer labourers from Huallen, Sexsmith and Grande Prairie in 1966.
Location: 0192.05.02.0459
St. Andrew’s Anglican Church, 1973
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
St. Andrew’s Anglican Church was built in 1911, the first church for the community of Lake Saskatoon on the west shore of the lake.
Location: 0192.05.02.0462
Spring Creek Church, 1973
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Spring Creek Presbyterian Church, located near Dimsdale on the southeast corner of SW 10-71-7-W6, was built under the direction of Alexander Forbes in 1914.
Location: 0192.05.02.0464
St. Luke’s Anglican Church, 1973
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
St. Luke’s Anglican Church was built in 1955, replacing the first church built on the old Beaverlodge townsite in 1913, moved to the new town in 1928, and then to Valleyview in 1955.
Location: 0192.05.02.0489
Desert, 1987
4 slides; colour; 35 mm
Desert images including a scene from the Mojave Desert.
Location: 0192.05.02.0490-493
Diseases, Plant, 1973-1987
76 slides; colour; 35 mm
Plant diseases due to natural, chemical, insect, frost and fungal damage.
Location: 0192.05.02.0494-569
Ecology, 1973
2 slides; colour; 35 mm
Spray damage, Fairview.
Location: 0192.05.02.0570-71
Edmonton City, [1970]-1986
22 slides; colour; 35 mm
Views of the City of Edmonton.
Location: 0192.05.02.0572-593
Elevators, 1975-1986
68 slides; colour; 35 mm
Elevators in Alberta including Balzac, Barrhead, Bonneyville, Boyle, Bruderheim, Calmar, Carstairs, Carsland, Cheadle, Coalhurst, Drumheller, Ellerslie, Fort Saskatchewan, Gage, Granum, Grassy Lake, Hurley, Innisfree, Levoy, Mannville, Millet, Minburn, Mundare, Nanton, Penhold, Royal Park, Redwater, Ryley, Smoky Lake, Sunnybrook, Tempest, Thorsby, Tilley, Tofield, Torrington, Vilna, Vulcan and the Peace River Country.
Location: 0192.05.02.0594-661
Beaverlodge Elevators, 1979-1986
5 slides; colour; 35 mm
Grain elevators at Beaverlodge, Alberta.
Location: 0192.05.02.0597,650, 651,654,661
Clairmont Elevators, 1979-1980
2 slides; colour; 35 mm
Grain elevators at Clairmont, Alberta.
Location: 0192.05.02.0599, 605
Woking Elevators, 1979
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Grain elevators at Woking, Alberta.
Location: 0192.05.02.0600
Wembley Elevators, 1980
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Grain elevators at Wembley, Alberta.
Location: 0192.05.02.0602
Fairview Elevators, 1980
3 slides; colour; 35 mm
Grain elevators at Fairview, Alberta.
Location: 0192.05.02.0603,604,613
Grande Prairie Elevators, 1980
4 slides; colour; 35 mm
Grain elevators at Grande Prairie, Alberta.
Location: 0192.05.02.0606-608, 610
Sexsmith Elevators, 1980
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Grain elevators at Sexsmith, Alberta.
Location: 0192.05.02.0611
Hines Creek Elevators, 1980
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Grain elevators at Hines Creek, Alberta.
Location: 0192.05.02.0612
Bluesky Elevators, 1980
2 slides; colour; 35 mm
Grain elevators at Bluesky, Alberta.
Location: 0192.05.02.0614,615
Brownvale Elevators, 1980
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Grain elevators at Brownvale, Alberta.
Location: 0192.05.02.0616
Rycroft Elevators, 1980
2 slides; colour; 35 mm
Grain elevators at Rycroft, Alberta.
Location: 0192.05.02.0617,618
Fall, 1976-1979
22 slides; colour; 35 mm
Fall scenes in the Peace Country including Dimsdale, Debolt, Fairview, Huallen, Sturgeon Lake, McNaught Lake, the Kakwa, the mountains southwest of Wembley and the farms of E. Silvaniuk and Leo Dawson. Also included is an image of the Sentinel Tree near Wembley,
Location: 0192.05.02.0662-683
Waterfalls, 1972-1983
16 slides; colour; 35 mm
Waterfall images including Athabasca, Bow, Crescent, Johnson’s Canyon, Kakwa, Kinuseuo, Niagara, Punch Bowl and Sunwapta.
Location: 0192.05.02.0684-699
Farming, 1979-1986
13 slides; colour; 35 mm
A selection of Alberta farm images including several from the Grande Prairie area.
Location: 0192.05.02.0700-712
Fire, 1979
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Closeup image of a campfire on the Kakwa.
Location: 0192.05.02.0713
Geology, 1958-1986
45 slides; colour; 35 mm
Rock formations throughout Alberta.
Location: 0192.05.02.0714-757
Grande Prairie, 1973-1986
32 slides; colour; 35 mm
General views of Grande Prairie including the construction of the hospital in 1982, Proctor and Gamble mill, the Kozar’s home and skyline views of the city.
Location: 0192.05.02.0758-789
Grande Prairie Regional College, 1973-1985
61 slides; colour; 35 mm
Views of Grande Prairie Regional College including images of staff, the Debolt logging camp and the Opening of the Adult Education Centre.
Location: 0192.05.02.0790-850
Grant McEwan College, 1980-1981
5 slides; colour; 35 mm
General views of Grant McEwan College including Dr.Kelly and Frank Kozar at Golden Eye Camp.
Location: 0192.05.02.0851-855
Historic Buildings, 1979-82
10 slides; colour; 35 mm
Historical buildings including a house near Onoway, barn at Buffalo Lakes, Crooked Creek School, Waterhole Post Office, school near Fairview, Dunvegan Mission and Bowal School. In addition to the buildings is an image of split rail fencing.
Location: 0192.05.02.0856-859,861-866
Lindsay School at Bezanson, 1980
1 slide; colour; 35 mm
Lindsay School at Bezanson, taken in 1980.
Location: 0192.05.02.0860
Historical Machinery, 1973-1982
14 slides; colour; 35 mm
Photographs of a variety of farm machinery including a threshing machine, water pump, steam engine, tractor, plow, wagon and the Beaverlodge sawmill.
Location: 0192.05.02.0867-880
Historical Markers, 1971-1988
15 slides; colour; 35 mm
Signage marking areas of historical siginificance including Lac St Anne, Alaska Highway, Kleskun Hills, Edson Trail, Natural Gas, Ukranian Settlement, the Buffalo, David Thompson, Brands, Turner Valley Oil Fields, Mackenzie, 12 Foot Davis, Athabasca River and Athabasca Trail, the Fur Trade .
Location: 0192.05.02.0881-895
Insects, 1957-1983
77 slides; colour; 35 mm
Images of insects (butterflies, wasps, bees) to accompany Dr. Kozar’s research in the field of biology including Coloeptera, Diptera, Hemiptera, Homoptera, Hymenoptera, Lepidoptera, Odonata and Orthoptera.
Location: 0192.05.02.0896-972
University of Lethbridge, 1981-1982
2 slides; colour; 35 mm
Exterior view of the University of Lethbridge and a group portrait of the Tri U alumni.
Location: 0192.05.02.0973-974
Lumbering, 1958-1980
8 slides; colour; 35 mm
Scenes from the lumber industry including the Canfor burner in Grande Prairie, the ice bridge on the Wapiti, the Brazeau Tower and loading, falling and shredding at Debolt.
Location: 0192.05.02.0975-980
Oil Industry, 1974-1980
7 slides; colour; 35 mm
Oil industry images from Valleyview, Beaverlodge, Fairview and the Huallen areas.
Location: 0192.05.02.0981-987
Ontario, 1980
9 slides; colour; 35 mm
Photographs from a trip to Ontario including Camp Borden, Glengarry, Royal Military College and German exchange students.
Location: 0192.05.02.0988-996
People, 1976-1984
15 slides; colour; 35 mm
Portraits of Peace Region personalities including Betty McNaught, Terry Shewchuck, Father Ray McNalley, Father Darcy Pankhurst, Bob Dixon, Scotty Ross, Brett White and Major Ray Sawchuk. Photos of Legion Burns Day including Harold Palmer and Morag Mochan. Also included are photos of Thorsby High School Homecoming and a correspondence school class.
Location: 0192.05.02.0997-1011
Pollution, 1971-1983
16 slides; colour; 35 mm
A depiction of pollution in the South Peace Region including industrial and agricultural impact on the environment.
Location: 0192.05.02.1012-1028
Patterns in Nature, 1979-1986
28 slides; colour; 35 mm
Photographs of plants and landscapes illustrating patterns found in the natural environment.
Location: 0192.05.02.1029-1056
Quebec, 1982
5 slides; colour; 35 mm
Photographs of German Exchange cadets and CFB Saint Jean taken on a trip to Quebec in 1982.
Location: 0192.05.02.1057-1061
Reflections, 1975-1986
9 slides; colour; 35 mm
Photographs of reflections found in nature including dew on grass, lakeshore with trees, light on water and one photo of a hot air balloon reflected in a pool of water.
Location: 0192.05.02.1062-1070
Ukranian, 1980-1985
7 slides; colour; 35 mm
Photographs of Ukranian symbols taken at the Ukranian Village near Vegreville between 1980 and 1985.
Location: 0192.05.02.1071-1077
War Memorials, c. 1980
3 slides; colour; 35 mm
Photographs of the National War Memorial in Ottawa, Ontario taken c. 1980.
Location: 0192.05.02.1078-1080
Winter, Central Alberta, 1960-1980
5 slides; colour; 35 mm
Photographs showing winter scenes in Central Alberta from 1960-1980.
Location: 0192.05.02.1081-1085
Winter, Peace Region, 1975-1980
13 slides; colour; 35 mm
Photographs showing winter scenes in the Peace Region from 1975-1980.
Location: 0192.05.02.1086-1098
Spring, Alberta Central, [1980-1990]
11 slides; colour; 35 mm
Photographs showing scenes of spring in Central Alberta from 1980-1990.
Location: 0192.05.02.1099-1109
Spring, Peace Region, [1970-1990]
15 slides; colour; 35 mm
Photographs showing scenes of spring in the Peace Region from 1970-1990. Included are photos of the Sentinel tree, beaver dam and Lake Saskatoon.
Location: 0192.05.02.1110-1124
Statues, [1970-1990]
6 slides; colour; 35 mm
Images of statues including St. Basil, Edmonton; Rob of Bruce, Calgary; Father Lacombe, St. Albert; Captain Cook, Victoria; Queen Victoria, Victoria and Rob Burns, Stanley Park, taken between 1970 and 1990.
Location: 0192.05.02.1125-1130
Summer, [1980-1990]
3 slides; colour; 35 mm
Scenes of the Grande Prairie area in summertime, including a grain field, cattle and a farmstead, taken between 1980 and 1990.
Location: 0192.05.02.1131-1133
Sunsets and Sunrises, [1959-1990]
20 slides; colour; 35 mm
Sunrises and sunsets in the Peace Region, Dimsdale, and the Shuswap, photographed between 1959 and 1990. Subjects include GPRC, the Sentinel Tree, Canfor, geese flying at sunset and fishing at sunset.
Location: 0192.05.02.1134-1153
SubSeries 192.05.03Pioneers of the Peace Portraits. — [1980-1987]. — 29 photographs.The sub series consists of b & w portraits of individuals associated with the history of the Peace River Country of Alberta: Henry Monkman, Chester Ronning, Euphemia McNaught, Erich Anderson, P.V. Croken, Mr. & Mrs. Max Zimmerman, Mr. & Mrs. D.O. Hanson, Morley Sherk, Scotty Ross, Jack McLean, Otto Kuhn, Father Lane and Father Neil Corbett (and their contemporary Redemptorists), Grant MacEwan, Dr. Andrew Murray, and Robert Guest. These portraits were taken by Frank Kozar during the 1980s, presumably on visits to the Grande Prairie area.
 
Henry Monkman, [1985]
2 photographs; b & w; 8 x 10
Henry Monkman was the son of Alexander Monkman, who opened the first trading post at Lake Saskatoon.
Location: 0192.05.03.01
Chester Ronning, 1978
3 photographs; b & w; 8 x 10
Chester Ronning was the son of Halvor Ronning who led a group of Norweigen settlers to Valhalla, Chester became the Canadian ambassador to China. This portrait was taken on April 7, 1978.
Location: 0192.05.03.02
Euphemia McNaught, 1976
4 photographs; b & w; colour; 8 x 10
Euphemia “Betty” McNaught was a well-known artist from Beaverlodge who trained under the Group of Seven. These portraits were taken at her home in the Halcourt district south of Beaverlodge in September 1976.
Location: 0192.05.03.03
Erich Anderson, 1976
2 photographs; b & w; 8 x 10
Erich Anderson and his wife Helga immigrated from Norway. They had an apple orchard on the outskirts of Wembley.
Location: 0192.05.03.04
P.V. Croken, 1976
7; 1 negatives; photograph; b & w; 2 x 2 in; 8 x 10 in.
P.V. “Patty” Croken came to the Peace Country after serving in the First World War. He operated a General Store, first in Bezanson, then in Grande Prairie.
Location: 0192.05.03.05
Mr. & Mrs. Max Zimmerman, [1980]
1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
Maximillion Zimmerman came to the Peace Country with his parents in 1927.
Location: 0192.05.03.06
D.O. Hanson, [1980]
1; 2 photograph; negatives; b & w; 8 x 10
D.O. Hanson served in the 49th Edmonton Regiment during World War II
Location: 0192.05.03.07
Morley Sherk, 1976
2 photographs; b & w; 8 x 10
Morley Sherk arrived in the Beaverlodge area with his father Amos Sherk, as part of “The Bull Outfit”, a Methodist group from Ontario.
Location: 0192.05.03.08
Scotty Ross, 1978
2 photographs; b & w; 8 x 10
Scotty Ross, veteran of the First World War, wearing War medals and military beret with British Empire Services League insignia on it.
Location: 0192.05.03.09
Jack McLean, 1978
1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
Jack McLean, veteran of the First World War, in military beret with British Empire Services League insignia on it.
Location: 0192.05.03.10
Otto Kuhn, 1977
2; 3 photographs; negatives; b & w; 8 x 10; 2 x 2 in.
Otto Kuhn was an amateur Grande Prairie artist who worked mainly in pastels.
Location: 0192.05.03.11
Father Neil Corbett, [1980]
1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
Father Neil Corbett was a Redemptorist priest serving the Grande Prairie parish in the 1970s.
Location: 0192.05.03.12
Redemptorist Father, 1977
1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
Redemptorist priest serving the Grande Prairie parish in the 1970s.
Location: 0192.05.03.13
Redemptorist Father, 1977
1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
Redemptorist priest serving the Grande Prairie parish in the 1970s.
Location: 0192.05.03.14
Father Lane, 1977
1 negative; b & w; 2 x 2 in.
Father Lane was a Redemptorist priest serving the Grande Prairie parish in the 1970s.
Location: 0192.05.03.15
The Honourable J.W. Grant MacEwan, [1980]
2 photographs; b & w; 8 x 10
The Honourable J. W. Grant MacEwan, Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta, was well-known as an agriculturalist and historian, and active in municipal and provincial politics.
Location: 0192.05.03.16
Dr. Andrew Murray, 1975
1; 2 photograph; negatives; b & w; 8 x 10; 2 x 2 in.
Dr. Andrew Murray practised in Grande Prairie during the 1970s.
Location: 0192.05.03.17
Robert Guest, [1975]
2 photographs; b & w; 8 x 10 in.
Bob Guest is a Peace Country artist who taught at Grande Prairie Regional College in the 1970s.
Location: 0192.05.03.18
SubSeries 192.05.04Grande Prairie Regional College. — 1974-1978. — 284 photographs.The sub-series consists of both b & w and colour photographs of buildings, students and staff at Grande Prairie Regional College from the time it was in the old St. Joseph’s Business College through the building of the new campus in 1973-1975 and the programs there. GPRC was designed by renowned architect Douglas Cardinal and the unique design lends well to artistic photography.
 
GPRC in the Early 1970s, 1973-1974
163 negatives; b & w; assorted
In the early 1970s, the Grande Prairie Regional College was in temporary facilities at the old Grande Prairie High School and at the former St. Joseph’s Business College. The collection includes 35mm and medium format negatives. 16 negatives are college activity days on Nov. 28, 1970; 4 of Opening Ceremonies in September 1971; 16 are of College Weekend on Feb. 26-27, 1971; and 127 are of facility, staff, and students in 1973;
Location: 0192.05.04.01
Construction Grande Prairie Regional College, 1973-1974
1; 9 photograph; negatives; b & w; 8 x 10; 2 x 2 in.
Grande Prairie Regional College was designed by architect Douglas Cardinal and built in 1974. It opened in September 1974. The file consists of nine photographs detailing the construction of the college in 1973-1974.
Location: 0192.05.04.02
GPRC Black & White Photographs, 1976-1978
9; 4 photographs; negatives; b & w; 8 x 10 in; 4 x 5 in.
Grande Prairie Regional College was designed by architect Douglas Cardinal and built in 1974. It opened in September 1974. These photographs were taken by Dr. Frank Kozar, biology and genetics instructor at the college during the 1970s.
Location: 0192.05.04.03
GPRC Colour Photographs, 1976-1978
8 photographs; colour; 4 x 6
Grande Prairie Regional College was designed by architect Douglas Cardinal and built in 1974. It opened in September 1974. These photographs were taken by Dr. Frank Kozar, biology and genetics instructor at the college during the 1970s.
Location: 0192.05.04.04
Grande Prairie Regional College Staff, 1976-1978
20 negatives; colour; b & w; assorted
The file consists of photographs of Grande Prairie Regional College staff during the 1970s. Photos include a group shot of staff with Grant McEwan, Isabel Campbell and Mr. & Mrs. E.C. Stacey; instructors Frank Kozar, Terry Shewchuck, Dennis Weiler, Irene Hutton, Don Harper, Dr. Nagra, Harry Davis, Burke Strelke, Stu MacGregor, Paul Lemay, Dr. Bert Hunt, Dan Crystal and others; and a series of 34 mm photos taken at a Barbeque at President Henry Anderson’s cabin at the Wapiti in the early 1970s.
Location: 0192.05.04.05
Grande Prairie Regional College Students, 1976-1978
28 negatives; photographs; b & w; assorted
The file consists of photographs of students and activities at the new campus of Grande Prairie Regional College from 1975 to 1980. It includes two 8 x 10 b&w photos of students in front of the new college building; 2 colour photographs of the 10th Anniversary ceremonies in 1976; 18 student and yearbook photos for 1976-77; 4 negatives of the Basketball teams ca. 1980; and 2 negatives showing about 12 students from 1979-80.
Location: 0192.05.04.06
GPRC Arts Programs, 1976-1978
32 photographs; negatives; b & w; assorted
The file consists of 2 photographs of the cast of Oliver Twist in 1973; 2 photographs of an Art Class in 1973; 16 negatives of the cast of “A Man for All Seasons” produced ca. 1975; 6 negatives of performers in the Music Department ca. 1976 including John and Cindy Hancock and Paul Rathke; 6 negatives of a Drama Group in 1978 including Gerald Nelson, Sukimar Nayar, ? Ramsay, and Kathy Harper;
Location: 0192.05.04.07
SubSeries 192.05.05Grande Prairie Miscellaneous. — 1971-1980. — 52 photographs.The sub-series consists of negatives and photographs of events and scenes in the Grande Prairie area in the 1970s: the International Food Fairs held at St. Joseph’s Church; Canadian Forest Industries Plant in Grande Prairie; a theatre production of Oliver Twist; The Messiah musical presentation at the Composite High School; St Joseph’s High School Awards Night; Cub Scouts’ Church Service at their camp; Dunvegan Bridge; the Legion Convention; Vimy Night at the Legion; and Grande Prairie buildings (Proctor & Gamble Mill, the Courthouse, the Data Block).
 
International Food Fair, 1971
3 negatives; b & w; 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.
The file consists of three negatives of the International Food Fair held in St. Joseph’s High School in October 1971.
Location: 0192.05.05.01
International Food Fair, 1972
8 negatives; b & w; 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.
The file consists of eight negatives of the International Food Fair held in St. Joseph’s High School in October 1972.
Location: 0192.05.05.02
International Food Fair, 1973
4 negatives; b & w; 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.
The file consists of four negatives of the International Food Fair held in St. Joseph’s High School in October 1973.
Location: 0192.05.05.03
Canfor Lumber Industries, 1973
3 negatives; b & w; 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.
The file consists of three negatives of operations at the Canfor Lumber Mill in January 1973.
Location: 0192.05.05.04
Oliver Twist Theatre Production, 1973
9 photographs; colour; 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.
The file consists of nine colour photographs of the play Oliver Twist, performed in 1973, with Jack Wynters as Fagin.
Location: 0192.05.05.05
The Messiah Musical, 1974
3 negatives; b & w; 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.
The file consists of three negatives of the cast for the musical production of “The Messiah” performed at the Grande Prairie Composite High School on Dec. 8, 1974.
Location: 0192.05.05.06
Barry Moore Family, 1975
1 negative; b & w; 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.
Barry and Erika Moore, with their children Chris, Tim and Paul. Dr. Moore taught at the Grande Prairie Regional College in the 1970s.
Location: 0192.05.05.07
St. Joseph’s Awards Night, 1975
6 negatives; b & w; 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.
The file consists of six negatives taken during the Awards Night at St. Joseph’s High School on October 20, 1975.
Location: 0192.05.05.08
Cub Scouts’ Church Service, 1975
2 negatives; b & w; 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.
The file consists of two negatives of a church service for the Cub Scouts at Wapiti Camp on June 14, 1975.
Location: 0192.05.05.09
Dunvegan Bridge, 1975
1 negative; b & w; 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.
Negataive of Dunvegan Bridge which crosses the Peace River south of the town of Fairview. When this bridge was built in 1960, it was the longest span bridge in Canada.
Location: 0192.05.05.10
Legion Convention, 1975
6 negatives; b & w; 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.
The file consists of six negatives of a Legion Convention held in Grande Prairie in 1975. Shots of a parade on June 8, 1975 are included.
Location: 0192.05.05.11
Vimy Night at the Legion, 1978
2 negatives; b & w; 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.
The file consists of two negatives, one of Legion men and the other of the Legion Auxiliary, taken on Vimy Night at the Grande Prairie Legion in 1978 or 1979.
Location: 0192.05.05.12
Scenes Around Grande Prairie, 1978-1980
4 negatives; b & w; 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.
The file consists of six negatives of scenes around Grande Prairie in 1979-80. Subjects are The Proctor & Gamble Mill, the Spillway across Bear Creek, the Courthouse, the Data Block and a large willow tree.
Location: 0192.05.05.13
Elevators in Grande Prairie, [1975]
1 photograph; b & w; 8 x 10
The railroad tracks and elevators in downtown Grande Prairie, including Alberta Wheat Pool and a seed plant.
Location: 0192.05.05.14
Back to Table of Contents
Series 192.06Miscellaneous. — 1949-2002. — 1 cm of textual records.The series consists of miscellaneous paper artifacts preserved by Dr. Kozar over his lifetime, including a 1949 programme for the Farm Young People’s Conference in Edmonton; a 1955 Commencement program for Misericordia Hospital; 1957 booklet of the Constitution and By-Laws for the Ladies Auxiliary to the Canadian Legion; 1982 programme for the Canadian Phytopathological Society; and the programme for the Lifesaving Award presented to Frank Kozar by Lieutenant Governor Lois Hole in 2002.
Back to Table of Contents