Tranquility School Reunion fonds. — 2004. — 1.5 cm of textual records. — 7 photographs.
Tranquility School District was located between the Smoky River and Kleskun Lake, with East Kleskun School District to the south and Teepee Creek School District to the north. It was established in 1930, and a school house built on the corner of SW 30-73-3-6 on the south side of Kleskun Creek. The name Tranquility was chosen at the foundational meeting because it was a warm peaceful day. Miss Annie Graham was the first teacher with school opening January 5, 1931. In 1932 a 16 x 24 ft. barn was built. Tranquility School was closed down for the school year in 1933-34 due to lack of funds. The students went to Fitzsimmons School for that year, and Tranquility re-opened September 4, 1934. In 1955, centralization closed the school permanently.
The Tranquility School reunion was held on July 1, 2004 in Teepee Creek, Alberta, in conjunction with the opening of the Teepee Creek Museum and the summer fair. Dora Doyle was a teacher at the school from 1935-1938 and her niece sent the organizers a booklet celebrating Dora’s life as well as 7 photographs of her later years. Other teachers who taught at the school were Gertude Gourley, Lucy Hardman, Mary Campbell, Mrs. Ann MacKay, Sadie Sarmaga, Bill Fitzpatrick and Christine May. Surnames of families that attended Tranquility school were Beamer, Brown, Calliou, Ciezki, Cordey, Daigle, Fowler, Gaboury, Graham, Grant, Harris, Hartnell, Jesen, Klimach, Mackey, Matthews, Martel, Martin, May, McEwen, Melnick, Meyers, Nelson, Nutt, Repitosky, Rice, Sask, Simpkins, Sims, Sorenson, Sorken, Spence, Talbot, Testwich, Wageman, and Winder.
The records were given to the Teepee Creek Museum and then donated to the Archives by curator Gord Mackey.
Scope and Content
The fonds consist of a list of teachers and students, research material, the story and some photographs of teacher Dora Doyle, and a guest book from the reunion.