Preston Lake School District #4557 fonds. — 1931-1938. — 2 cm of textual records.
Preston Lake School District was organized in 1931for an area north of the Steeprock District and south of the proposed Aldergrove School District beween Hythe and the BC border.The first classes were taught in a settler’s home in 1931, with Mrs. Light as the teacher. Community members agreed to build a new school in 1932. A frame building was decided upon and settlers were given the option to work off their school taxes at a rate of $3.00 per day for a man and team or $2.00 per day for a man. The school opened that fall without any debts. Mrs. Ed Bolt was a teacher in the new school for several years. Preston Lake School was closed in 1955 and the students were bussed to Lambert School. In 1960, when Lambert School closed, the students were then bussed to Hythe.
Records were passed on to the County of Grande Prairie No. 1, who transferred them to South Peace Regional Archives in 2013.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one minute book detailing the decisions made by the Preston Lake School District for the years 1931-1938, as well as an agreement, an accounting of time contributed by the ratepayers to the building, the stamp account records 1933-1938, and attendance list of the trustees 1934-1937.
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Related records: fonds 063, County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14 minutes (063.01) and correspondence (063.02).
Source of historical note: Pioneer Round-up, A Grande Education
Accession No. 2013.06