Womans Association of the Ray Lake Church of the United Church of Canada fonds. — 1925-1945. — 1 cm of textual records.
The Ray Lake area is near Demmitt and close to the BC border. The Womans [sic] Association of the Ray Lake Church of the United Church of Canada was formed in 1932 to assist the pastor in his pastoral work and the congregation in its social welfare work, to raise funds for the local church and local welfare, and to promote a spirit of good will and Christian fellowship in the congregation. The organization met monthly. Membership was reserved for married women and girls over the age of 18 and included Sigrid Johnston, May Forest, Mrs. B. Underwood, Emma Johnston, Laura Brison, Alberta Goodwin, Mrs. G. Morton, Mrs. Skaar, Mrs. Anderson, Mrs. Thompson, Mrs. Hanham, Mrs. Cook, Mrs. J. Richardson, Mrs. Finlay, Lila Demmitt, Mrs. Lusgard (Lingard?), Emma Sipe, Mrs. Newhouse (?), Mrs. George Griffith, and Mrs. A Johnson. The first meeting was held January 15, 1932 at the home of Lila Demmitt. The first President was Mrs. A. Johnson, the Vice-President Mrs. B. Underwood, and the Secretary-Treasurer Lila Demmitt.
Ray Lake United Church was a preaching point in the Hythe Pastoral Charge from 1935 to 1939 under ministers Rev. Walter H. Moss (1929-1933), Rev. Joseph Wisnuk (1933), Rev. J. E. Ball (1936-1938), and Rev. T.H. Stark (1939). Church was held at the Ray Lake School as Ray Lake United Church never had a building of its own.
Records were passed on to the County of Grande Prairie No. 1, who transferred them to South Peace Regional Archives in 2013.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one minute book detailing the decisions made by the Womans Association for the years 1932-1933, their constitution and membership list, and accounts from 1936.
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Related records: The United Church of Canada, Alberta and Northwest Conference Archives
Source of historical note: The United Church of Canada Yearbooks, Pioneer Round-up
Conservation note: The records have previously been affected by mould and were cleaned in September 2014.
Accession No. 2013.06