Valhalla School District #3130 fonds. — 1925-1945. — 1.5 cm of textual records.
Valhalla School began in Olaf Horte’s house in 1914 with Nelius Ronning as the first teacher. In the summer of 1915, community members built a new school on S.W. 18- 74- 9 W6. This new school opened just after New Year in 1916 with Alvie Baycroft as teacher. Other teachers included Chester Ronning, Miss Sigrid Hommy, Mrs. A. S. Todd, and Miss M. Erickson.
In 1925-26, the Valhalla School Board included Molde School pupils and a second room was needed. In 1929, the school reverted back to one room, but in about 1943, a two room school was built. With the closing of the one-room country schools, Valhalla School became a central facility. Three rooms were opened in 1951, and in 1954, a six room school was erected about one quarter of a mile east of the original log schoolhouse. A gymnasium was added to the school in 1964. The following teachers also taught at the Valhalla School during these years: Judd Perry, Tillie Torgerson, John Paul, Mr. R. Leitch, Mr. E.A. Keeping, Edna Small, Ferne Rideout, Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Pattullo, Stella M. Becker, Mr. R. A. Hill, Agnes Melsness, Ruth Axelson, Stella Gilkyson, Elizabeth Baker, Mary Gray, and Lorna Horte.
In 1960, the decision was made to van the high school students to Hythe. Ten years later, the Junior High students were sent to Hythe and the high school students to Beaverlodge. Valhalla Centre School continued operating as an elementary school under the County of Grande Prairie and Peace Wapiti School Divisions. When closure threatened due to low enrollment, the community applied for and was granted charter Status and continued to operate under their own Board of Directors.
Records were passed on to the County of Grande Prairie No. 1, who transferred them to South Peace Regional Archives in 2013.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one minute book detailing the decisions made by the Valhalla School District for the years 1925-1945, including accounts.
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Related records: fonds 063, County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14 minutes (063.01) and correspondence (063.02).
Source of historical note: Pioneer Round-up, A Grande Education
Accession No. 2013.06