Southwell School District #4470 fonds. — 1931-1937. — 2 cm of textual records.
Southwell School was authorized in 1930 and a log school built during the summer on the southwest corner of S.W. 1-73-12 W6. It was named after the Arthur Southwell family, early settlers in the district. In the fall of 1954, Southwell School was centralized to Goodfare and the buildings sold. The following teachers taught at Southwell School over the years: Mr. Platzer, Ruth Conley, Olive Simmons, Laura Woods, Mary Scott, Peggy Martin, Kay Ross, Gladys Park, and Pearl Lester who was a supervisor.
Records were passed on to the County of Grande Prairie No. 1, who transferred them to South Peace Regional Archives in 2013.
Scope and Content
The fonds consists of one minute book detailing the decisions made by the Southwell School District for the years 1931-1937, as well as accounts and bylaws (debentures).
Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Related records: fonds 063, County of Grande Prairie School Division No. 14 minutes (063.01) and correspondence (063.02).
Source of historical note: Pioneer Round-up, A Grande Education
Accession No. 2013.06